Citation: Proceedings of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 11, pages 803–806 (2017)
Abstract. Health care systems have started using advanced technologies, such as Sensor Networks and Internet of Things (IoT), to make health care solutions affordable and easier to access. However, elderly patients who are unconvinced about its dependability hesitate to use the immense facilities provided by the advanced technology. A remedy to this problem is to make the health care system dependable and patient-centric so that patients can be convinced to trust the system. Towards achieving this goal, this paper defines a multi-faceted design, explains how the dependability properties can be integrated in it, and briefly illustrate it in a design pattern for sensors that can be used for an elderly home monitoring system.
- World Health Organization, “Definition of an older or elderly person,” http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/, 2015, [Online; accessed 29/01/2015].
- “mhealth: New horizons for health through mobile technologies,” http://www.who.int/goe/publications/goe mhealth web.pdf, June 2011, [Online; accessed 29/01/2015].
- A. Avizienis, J. Laprie, B. Randell, and C. Landwehr, “Basic concepts and taxonomy of dependable and secure computing,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 1, pp. 11–33, January-March 2004, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2004.2.
- D. Jackson, “A direct path to dependable software,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 78–88, April 2009, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1498765.1498787.
- Intel, “Integrated medical hospital,” http://www.intel.com/business/bss/industry/healthcare/index.htm, Tech. Rep., [Online; accessed 29/06/2014].
- J. Chapman, “Sensor systems research,” http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media 227573 en.pdf, Tech. Rep., 2011, [Online; accessed 27/04/2017].
- D. Ferraiolo and R. Kuhn, “Role based access control,” in Proceedings of the National Computer Security Conference. NIST, 1992, [Online at http://carc.nist.gov/rbac/ferraiolo-kuhn-92.pdf].
- R. S. Sandhu, E. J. Coyne, H. L. Feinstein, and C. Youman, “Role based access control models,” IEEE Computer, vol. 29, no. 2, 1996, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/2.485845.
- A. Ferreira, R. Cruz-Correia, L. Antunes, P. Farinha, and E. Oliveira-Palhares, “How to break access control in a controlled manner,” in Proceedings of the 19th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS’06). IEEE, 2006, pp. 847–854, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CBMS.2006.95.
- V. Alagar and K. Wan, “Context based enforcement of authorization for privacy and security in identity management,” in Proceedings of the First IFIP WG 11.6 Working Conference on Policies & Research in Identity Management (IDMAN 2007), IFIP Publications (2008), 2008, pp. 25–38.
- K. Periyasamy, K. Wan, and V. Alagar, “Healthcare design patterns - an internet of things approach,” in Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Computers and Their Applications (CATA 2017), March 20-22 2017, pp. 293–299.
- D. Halperin, T. Kohno, T. Heydt-Benjamin, K. Fu, and W. Maisel, “Security and privacy for implantable medical devices,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 30–39, January/March 2008, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MPRV.2008.16.
- D. Malan, T. Fulford-Jones, M. Welsh, and S. Moulton, “Codeblue: An ad hoc sensor network infrastructure for emergency medical care,” in International workshop on wearable and implantable body sensor networks (BSN’04), vol. 5, Imperial College, London, 2004.
- J. W. Ng, B. P. Lo, O. Wells, M. Sloman, N. Peters, A. Darzi, C. Toumazou, and G.-Z. Yang, “Ubiquitous monitoring environment for wearable and implantable sensors (ubimon),” Imperial College, London, Tech. Rep., 2004.
- “Care coordination and communication software for senior care — caremerge,” http://www.caremerge.com/, CareMerge, [Online; accessed 29/01/2015].
- J. Ma, C. LeRouge, J. Flaherty, and G. DeLeo, “Use smart phones to promote diabetes self management:robust elderly in urban and rural china,” http://www.cadaproject.com/, 2010, [Online; accessed 06/05/2016].