Citation: Proceedings of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 11, pages 653–656 (2017)
Abstract. The current advances in hardware led to the development of the GPGPU (General-purpose computing on graphics processing units) paradigm. Thus, nowadays, the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is used not only for graphics programming, but also for general purpose algorithms. This paper discusses several methods regarding the use of CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture) for 2D and 3D image processing techniques. Some general rules for writing parallel algorithms in computer vision are pointed out. A theoretic comparison between the complexity for CPU (Central Processing Unit) and GPU implementations of image processing algorithms is given. Also, real computing times are provided for several algorithms in order to point out the actual performance gain of using the GPU over CPU. The factors that contribute to the difference between theoretic and real performance gain are also discussed.
- Stephan Soller, "GPGPU Origins and GPU and GPU Hardware Architecture", Practical Term Report, High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart, Stuttgart Media University, 2011.
- S. Takamura, A. Shimizu, “GPGPU-assisted denoising filter generation for video coding”, GECCO Comp '14 Proceedings of the Companion Publication of the 2014 Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, 2014, pp. 151-152.
- M. Abdellah, “CufftShift: High Performance CUDA-accelerated FFTshift Library”, Proceedings of the High Performance Computing Symposium, ser. HPC ’14. San Diego, CA, USA: Society for Computer Simulation International, 2014.
- R. Agrawal, S. Gupta, J. Mukherjee, R.K. Layek, “A GPU based real-time CUDA implementation for obtaining visual saliency”, Proceedings of the 2014 Indian Conference on Computer Vision Graphics and Image Processing, ACM, 2014
- 5. Y. Lee, C. Jang, H. Kim, “Accelerating a computer vision algorithm on a mobile SoC using CPU-GPU co-processing: a case study on face detection”, Proceeding MOBILESoft '16 Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems, 2016.
- W. Ma, L. Cao, L. Yu, G. Long, Y. Li, “GPU-FV: Realtime Fisher Vector and Its Applications in Video Monitoring”, ICMR '16 - Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, pp. 39-46.
- S. Hwang, Y. Uh, M.Ki, K. Lim, D. Park, H. Byun, “Real-time background subtraction based on GPGPU for high-resolution video surveillance”, IMCOM '17 Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication, 2014.
- L. Yao, Y. Han, X. Li, “Virtual Viewpoint Synthesis using CUDA Acceleration”, 22nd ACM Conference on Virtual Reality Software and Technology, pp/ 367-368, 2016.
- A. Shewale, N. Waghmare, A. Sonawane, U. Teke, “High Performance Computation Analysis for Medical Images using High Computational Methods”, ICTCS '16 Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies, 2016
- P. Valero-Lara, “A GPU approach for accelerating 3d deformable registration (Dartel) on brain biomedical images”, in Proceedings of the 20th European MPI Users’ Group Meeting, EuroMPI ’13, New York, NY, USA, 2013, ACM, pp. 187–192.
- W.B. Langdon, M. Modat, J. Petke, M. Harman, “Improving 3D Medical Image Registration CUDA Software with Genetic Programming”, Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary, pp. 951-958, 2014.
- D. Lee, I. Dinov, B. Dong, B. Gutman, I. Yanovsky, A. W. Toga, "CUDA Optimization Strategies for Compute- and Memory-Bound Neuroimaging Algorithms", Jounral on Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine", vol 106(3), pp. 175-187, 2012.
- M. Ravishankar, J. Holewinski, V. Grover, “Forma: A DSL for image processing applications to target GPUs and multi-core CPUs”, GPGPU, 2015, pp. 109–120
- A. Morar, F. Moldoveanu, V. Asavei, A. Egner, "Multi-GPGPU Based Medical Image Processing in Hip Replacement", Journal of Control Engineering and Applied Informatics, vol. 14(3), pp. 25-34, 2012.
- A. Morar, "Analysis and Visualization of Data from Medical Images", PhD Thesis, University POLITEHNICA of Bucharest, 2012.
- L. Petrescu, A. Morar, F. Moldoveanu, V. Asavei, "Real Time Reconstruction of Volumes from Very Large Datasets using CUDA", Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on System Theory, Control and Computing, pp. 462-466, 2011.