Citation: Position Papers of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 12, pages 129–134 (2017)
Abstract. This position paper surveys relevant literature in order to evaluate Real Time Location System (RTLS) for the health care sector. The first step is to identify the most common aspects required for a feasible health care implementation. The second step is to utilise these identified criteria to evaluate common RTLS technologies. The most feasible technology matching these criteria will be selected. Because the most feasible technology selected from the evaluation may lack one or more of the most common identified aspects for a healthcare RTLS, enhancements of this technology will be proposed to overcome these limitations.
- S. Kim, S. Ha, A. Saad, and J. Kim, "Indoor positioning system techniques and security," in e-Technologies and Networks for Development (ICeND), 2015 Forth International Conference on, 2015, pp. 1-4.
- International Standards Organization (ISO), "Information technology - Automatic identification and data capture (AIDC) techniques - Harmonized vocabulary - Part 5: Locating systems," vol. ISO/IEC 19762-5, ed. Geneva: ISO, 2007.
- N. M. Potisek, R. M. Malone, B. B. Shilliday, T. J. Ives, P. R. Chelminski, D. A. DeWalt, et al., "Use of patient flow analysis to improve patient visit efficiency by decreasing wait time in a primary care-based disease management programs for anticoagulation and chronic pain: a quality improvement study," BMC health services research, vol. 7, p. 8, 2007.
- S. F. Wamba, A. Anand, and L. Carter, "A literature review of RFID-enabled healthcare applications and issues," International Journal of Information Management, vol. 33, pp. 875-891, 2013.
- M. Attarha and N. Modiri, "Focusing on the importance and the role of requirement engineering," in the 4th International Conference on Interaction Sciences (ICIS), Busan, Korea, 2011, pp. 181-184.
- H. J. Yazici, "An exploratory analysis of hospital perspectives on real time information requirements and perceived benefits of RFID technology for future adoption," International Journal of Information Management, vol. 34, pp. 603-621, 2014.
- W. Yao, C.-H. Chu, and Z. Li, "The adoption and implementation of RFID technologies in healthcare: a literature review," Journal of medical systems, vol. 36, pp. 3507-3525, 2012.
- H. Alemdar and C. Ersoy, "Wireless sensor networks for healthcare: A survey," Computer Networks, vol. 54, pp. 2688-2710, 2010.
- S. Keele, "Guidelines for performing systematic literature reviews in software engineering," in Technical report, Ver. 2.3 EBSE Technical Report. EBSE, ed: sn, 2007.
- M. N. K. Boulos and G. Berry, "Real-time locating systems (RTLS) in healthcare: a condensed primer," International journal of health geographics, vol. 11, p. 25, 2012.
- J. A. Fisher and T. Monahan, "Evaluation of real-time location systems in their hospital contexts," International journal of medical informatics, vol. 81, pp. 705-712, 2012.
- Z. Deng, Y. Yu, X. Yuan, N. Wan, and L. Yang, "Situation and development tendency of indoor positioning," China Communications, vol. 10, pp. 42-55, 2013.
- G. Deak, K. Curran, and J. Condell, "A survey of active and passive indoor localisation systems," Computer Communications, vol. 35, pp. 1939-1954, 2012.
- P. Tsang, C. Wu, W. Ip, G. Ho, and Y. Tse, "A Bluetooth-based Indoor Positioning System: A Simple and Rapid Approach," Annual Journal IIE (HK), vol. 35, pp. 11-26, 2015.
- B. Yu, L. Xu, and Y. Li, "Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) based mobile electrocardiogram monitoring system," in Information and Automation (ICIA), 2012 International Conference on, 2012, pp. 763-767.
- X. Zhu, S. K. Mukhopadhyay, and H. Kurata, "A review of RFID technology and its managerial applications in different industries," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, vol. 29, pp. 152-167, 2012.
- B. Wang, M. Toobaei, R. Danskin, T. Ngarmnil, L. Pham, and H. Pham, "Evaluation of RFID and Wi-Fi technologies for RTLS applications in Healthcare Centers," in Technology Management in the IT-Driven Services (PICMET), 2013 Proceedings of PICMET'13:, 2013, pp. 2690-2703.
- P. M. Reyes, S. Li, and J. K. Visich, "Accessing antecedents and outcomes of RFID implementation in health care," International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 136, pp. 137-150, 2012.
- M. D'Aloia, F. Cortone, G. Cice, R. Russo, M. Rizzi, and A. Longo, "Improving energy efficiency in building system using a novel people localization system," in Environmental, Energy, and Structural Monitoring Systems (EESMS), 2016 IEEE Workshop on, 2016, pp. 1-6.
- M. Bal, H. Xue, W. Shen, and H. Ghenniwa, "A 3-D indoor location tracking and visualization system based on wireless sensor networks," in Systems Man and Cybernetics (SMC), 2010 IEEE International Conference on, 2010, pp. 1584-1590.
- D. Zaim and M. Bellafkih, "Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) based geomarketing system," in Intelligent Systems: Theories and Applications (SITA), 2016 11th International Conference on, 2016, pp. 1-6.
- (2016, 25 May 2017). Bluetooth Low Energy. Available: https://www.bluetooth.com/what-is-bluetooth-technology/how-it-works/low-energy
- G. Han, G. J. Klinker, D. Ostler, and A. Schneider, "Testing a proximity-based location tracking system with Bluetooth Low Energy tags for future use in the OR," in E-health Networking, Application & Services (HealthCom), 2015 17th International Conference on, 2015, pp. 17-21.
- S. Raza, P. Misra, Z. He, and T. Voigt, "Building the Internet of Things with bluetooth smart," Ad Hoc Networks, 2016.
- (2016, 25 May 2017). Bluetooth 5. Available: https://www.bluetooth.com/what-is-bluetooth-technology/how-it-works/bluetooth5
- A. A. N. Shirehjini, A. Yassine, and S. Shirmohammadi, "Equipment location in hospitals using RFID-based positioning system," IEEE Transactions on information technology in biomedicine, vol. 16, pp. 1058-1069, 2012.
- T. Adame, A. Bel, A. Carreras, J. Melià-Seguí, M. Oliver, and R. Pous, "CUIDATS: An RFID-WSN hybrid monitoring system for smart health care environments," Future Generation Computer Systems, 2016.
- R. Faragher and R. Harle, "An analysis of the accuracy of bluetooth low energy for indoor positioning applications," in Proceedings of the 27th International Technical Meeting of The Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS+ 2014), Tampa, FL, USA, 2014, p. 2.
- S. Ahmad, R. Lu, and M. Ziaullah, "Bluetooth an Optimal Solution for Personal Asset Tracking: A Comparison of Bluetooth, RFID and Miscellaneous Anti-lost Traking Technologies," International Journal of u-and e-Service, Science and Technology, vol. 8, pp. 179-188, 2015.
- J.-S. Lee, M.-F. Dong, and Y.-H. Sun, "A preliminary study of low power wireless technologies: ZigBee and Bluetooth low energy," in Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), 2015 IEEE 10th Conference on, 2015, pp. 135-139.
- B. Jachimczyk, D. Dziak, and W. J. Kulesza, "Using the Fingerprinting Method to Customize RTLS Based on the AoA Ranging Technique," Sensors, vol. 16, p. 876, 2016.