Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 829–838 (2018)
Abstract. In terms of software engineering, context-aware systems (C-AS) have notably different development needs than those of traditional computing. Yet, there are no established methodologies that uniformly support the development life-cycle of these systems. A key goal of this research is to improve the current state-of-the-art with respect to engineering techniques for the life-cycle of a C-AS. Within the scope of this higher order goal, this paper addresses the lower level order goal of a holistic framework for gathering requirements which is specialised to the creation of C-AS. The framework follows an end-user, stakeholder centred vision, which guides the analysis of stakeholders towards the discovery of specific stakeholder profiles and their particular needs, preferences, and limitations. It allows the operationalisation of the high level objectives of the system into requirements, which are more tangible and related to the implementation of the system. An evaluation procedure is supported, based on heuristics and rules from the NFR framework and REUBI. All the diagrams introduced for this framework have been developed as part of an open-source tool based on Modelio, which is intended to be developed in the future as part of a framework that covers all the stages of the development process. The proposal is illustrated through the analysis of an application for a European funded project.
- U. Alegre-Ibarra, J. C. Augusto, and T. Clark, “Engineering context-aware systems and applications: A survey,” Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 117, pp. 55–83, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.02.010
- U. Alegre-Ibarra, J. C. Augusto, and C. Evans, “Perspectives on engineering more usable context-aware systems,” Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12652-018-0863-7
- T. Ruiz-López, M. Noguera, M. J. Rodríguez, J. L. Garrido, and L. Chung, “Reubi: A requirements engineering method for ubiquitous systems,” Science of Computer Programming, vol. 78, no. 10, pp. 1895–1911, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scico.2012.07.021
- A. Sutcliffe, S. Fickas, and M. M. Sohlberg, “Pc-re: a method for personal and contextual requirements engineering with some experience,” Requirements Engineering, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 157–173, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00766-006-0030-0
- C. Evans, L. Brodie, and J. C. Augusto, “Requirements engineering for intelligent environments,” in Intelligent Environments (IE), 2014 International Conference on. IEEE, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IE.2014.30 pp. 154–161.
- OMG, “OMG Universal Modeling Language (UML), Version 2.5,” Object Management Group, Tech. Rep., 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/About-UML/
- OMG, “OMG Systems Modeling Language (OMG SysML), Version 1.3,” Object Management Group, Tech. Rep., 2012. [Online]. Available: http://www.omg.org/spec/SysML/1.3/
- OMG, “UML 2.0 Testing Profile, Version 2.0,” Object Management Group, Tech. Rep., 2017. [Online]. Available: http://www.omg.org/spec/UTP/
- R. Fuentes-Fernández, J. J. Gómez-Sanz, and J. Pavón, “Understanding the human context in requirements elicitation,” Requirements engineering, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 267–283, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00766-009-0087-7
- U. Alegre-Ibarra, “Requirements for context-aware systems engineering (rcase) tool,” https://github.com/ualegre/rcase, [Online; Last accessed 19-February-2018].
- K. Oyama, H. Jaygarl, J. Xia, C. K. Chang, A. Takeuchi, and H. Fujimoto, “Requirements analysis using feedback from context awareness systems,” in Computer Software and Applications, 2008. COMPSAC’08. 32nd Annual IEEE International. IEEE, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/COMPSAC.2008.239 pp. 625–630.
- S. Greenberg, “Context as a dynamic construct,” Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 257–268, 2001.
- A. Finkelstein and A. Savigni, “A framework for requirements engineering for context-aware services,” in In Proc. of 1 st International Workshop From Software Requirements to Architectures (STRAW), 2001. http://dx.doi.org/10.11648/j.ajsea.20150406.11 pp. 200–1.
- W. Sitou and B. Spanfelner, “Towards requirements engineering for context adaptive systems,” in Computer Software and Applications Conference, 2007. COMPSAC 2007. 31st Annual International, vol. 2. IEEE, 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/COMPSAC.2007.223 pp. 593–600.
- N. Seyff, F. Graf, P. Grünbacher, and N. Maiden, “Mobile discovery of requirements for context-aware systems,” in Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality. Springer, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-69062-7_18 pp. 183–197.
- L. Baresi, L. Pasquale, and P. Spoletini, “Fuzzy goals for requirements-driven adaptation,” in International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE), 2010. IEEE, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/RE.2010.25 pp. 125–134.
- J. M. Bryson, “What to do when stakeholders matter: stakeholder identification and analysis techniques,” Public management review, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 21–53, 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14719030410001675722
- S. Jones, S. Hara, and J. Augusto, “e-friend: an ethical framework for intelligent environment development,” in Ethics and Information Technology, vol. 17. Springer, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/2192-1962-3-12 pp. 11–25.
- L. Chung, B. A. Nixon, E. Yu, and J. Mylopoulos, Non-functional requirements in software engineering. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012, vol. 5.
- D. Maulsby, S. Greenberg, and R. Mander, “Prototyping an intelligent agent through wizard of oz,” in Proceedings of the INTERACT’93 and CHI’93 conference on Human factors in computing systems. ACM, 1993. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/169059.169215 pp. 277–284.
- M. Hause, A. Stuart, D. Richards, and J. Holt, “Testing safety critical systems with sysml/uml,” in Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS), 2010 15th IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICECCS.2010.59 pp. 325–330.
- M. dos Santos Soares and J. Vrancken, “Requirements specification and modeling through sysml,” in Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2007. ISIC. IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2007.4413936 pp. 1735–1740.
- J. C. Augusto, T. Grimstad, R. Wichert, E. Schulze, A. Braun, G. M. Rødevand, and V. Ridley, “Personalized smart environments to increase inclusion of people with down’s syndrome,” in International Joint Conference on Ambient Intelligence. Springer, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03647-2_16 pp. 223–228.
- “Official website of the poseidon project,” http://www.poseidon-project.org/, [Online; Last accessed 19-February-2018].
- D. Kramer, A. Covaci, and J. C. Augusto, “Developing navigational services for people with down’s syndrome,” in Intelligent Environments (IE), 2015 International Conference on. IEEE, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IE.2015.26 pp. 128–131.
- D. Kramer and Tellu, “Poseidon application,” https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.tellu.poseidon, [Online; Last accessed 19-February-2018].
- POSEIDON Project, “Poseidon deliverable 2.1 - report on requirements,” PersOnalized Smart Environments to increase Inclusion of people with DOwns syNdrome, Tech. Rep., 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.poseidon-project.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/D2. 1-Report-on-requirements-revised-after-pilot-without-interviews.pdf
- A. Covaci, D. Kramer, J. C. Augusto, S. Rus, and A. Braun, “Assessing real world imagery in virtual environments for people with cognitive disabilities,” in Intelligent Environments (IE), 2015 International Conference on. IEEE, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IE.2015.14 pp. 41–48.
- D. Kramer and J. C. Augusto, “Supporting context-aware engineering based on stream reasoning,” in International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context. Springer, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-88479-8_37 pp. 440–453.
- U. Alegre-Ibarra, J. C. Augusto, and A. Aztiria, “Temporal reasoning for intuitive specification of context-awareness,” in Intelligent Environments (IE), 2014 International Conference on. IEEE, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IE.2014.44 pp. 234–241.