Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 1005–1008 (2018)
Abstract. Software usability plays a major role in the quality perceived by its users. However, a variety of definitions and associated attributes shows that there is still no consensus in this area. The overall purpose of this paper is to present the results of a critical and rigorous literature review, the aim of which is to demonstrate all the relevant usability definitions and related attributes introduced till now. This comprehensive view, depicted by a time-framed knowledge map, provides an in-depth understanding of the observed evolution on the one hand, and also serves as a guide for usability engineers to address some non-functional requirements, on the other.
- B. Shackel, Usability – Context, framework, definition, design and evaluation. in B. Shackel and S. Richardson (Eds.), Human Factors for Informatics Usability, University Press, Cambridge 1991, pp. 21–38.
- R. B. Grady and D. Caswell, Software metrics: Establishing a company-wide program. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall 1987.
- R. B. Grady, Practical software metrics for project management and process improvement. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall 1992.
- International Organisation for Standardisation, ISO/IEC 9126. Information Technology – Software Product Evaluation – Quality Characteristics and Guidelines for Their Use. Genève 1991.
- J. Kirakowski and M. Corbett, SUMI: the software usability measurement inventory. British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 24(3), 1993, pp. 210-212.
- J. Nielsen, Usability Engineering, Academic Press, London 1993.
- International Standards Organization, ISO DIS 9241-11. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals. Part 11: Guidance on usability. London 1993.
- D. L. Bencher, Programming quality improvement in IBM. Technical forum. IBM Systems Journal, 33(1), 1994, pp. 215–219.
- N. Bevan, Measuring usability as quality of use. Software Quality Journal, 4, 1995, pp. 115–130.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO: 9241-11:1998. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs), Part 11: Guidance on usability. Geneva 1998.
- L. L. Constantine and L. A. D. Lockwood, Software for Use: A Practical Guide to the Models and Methods of Usage-Centered Design. Addison-Wesley, New York 1999.
- International Organization for Standardization/International Electrotechnical Commission, ISO/IEC 9126 Standard, Software Engineering, Product Quality. Part I & Part IV. Geneva 2001.
- A. Abran, A. Khelifi, W. Suryn, and A. Seffah, Usability meanings and interpretations in ISO standards. Software Quality Journal, 11(4), 2003, pp. 325–338.
- A. Seffah, M. Donyaee, R. B. Kline and H. K. Padda, Usability measurement and metrics: A consolidated model. Software Quality Journal, 14(2), 2006, pp. 159–178.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 9241‐210:2010. Ergonomics of human-system interaction -- Part 210: Human-centred design for interactive systems. Geneva 2010.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 25010:2011. Systems and software engineering -- Systems and software Quality Requirements and Evaluation (SQuaRE) -- System and software quality models. Geneva 2011.
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 9241-11:2018. Ergonomics of human-system interaction -- Part 11: Usability: Definitions and concepts. Geneva 2018.
- T. Bajarin, 6 Reasons Apple Is So Successful. Time. May 07, 2012.
- J. Webster, and R. T. Watson, R. T., Analyzing the past to prepare for the future: Writing a literature review. MIS quarterly, 2002, xiii-xxiii.
- J. A. McCall, P. K. Richards, G. F. Walters, Factors in Software Quality. US Rome Air Development Center Reports, Vol I, II, III. US Department of Commerce, USA, 1977.
- J. L. Bennett, Managing to Meet Usability Requirements: Establishing and Meeting Software Development Goals. in J. L. Bennett, B. Case, J. Sandelin and M. Smith (Eds.), Visual Display Terminals: Usability Issues & Health Concerns. Prentice-Hall 1984, pp. 161–184.
- B. Shackel, Ergonomics in Design for Usability. in M. D. Harrison and A. Monk (Eds), People and Computers: Designing for Usability. Proc. of Sec. HCI Conference of the BCS, York 1986, pp. 45–64.
- J. Preece, Y. Rogers, H. Sharp, D. Benyon, S. Holland and T. Carey, Human-Computer Interaction. Pearson, 1994.