Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 665–674 (2018)
Abstract. Universal serial bus can be considered a cost-effective and high-throughput communication medium for sensor networks and multinode control or data acquisition systems, especially for prototyping purposes. In a prototype system, a PC or Mac computer with a general-purpose operating system is often selected as a host or root node for the USB bus and it acts as a central data collector, supervisory user interface, and network traffic scheduler. However, achieved communication performance is often unsatisfactory since USB stack drivers incorporated in Windows, Linux, or macOS operating systems are not optimised for such specific purposes. The paper shows how an appropriately selected and implemented user application communication schedule, making use of operating system drivers pipelining and multitasking capabilities, can substantially improve USB network throughput and reduce communication latency. Keywords: universal serial bus; sensor network; distributed and networked control and data acquisition systems; rapid prototyping; communication scheduling; USB stack pipelining and multitasking.
- M. A. Ahmad, A. N. K. Nasir, N. S. Pakheri, N. M. Ghani, M. A. Zawawi, and N. H. Noordin, “Microcontroller-based input shaping for vibration control of flexible manipulator system,” Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 597–610, 2011.
- C. Qiong, P. Zhuo, and C. Hui, “The communication design of simulation and measurement for excitation system based on USB2.0,” in 2nd International Workshop on Intelligent Systems and Applications (ISA), Wuhan, China, 22-23 May 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IWISA.2010.5473535 pp. 1–4. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/IWISA.2010.5473535
- T. Baohua and Q. Shuhai, “A high speed data acquisition card based on USB bus,” in International Conference on Machine Vision and Human Machine Interface (MVHI), Kaifeng, China, 24-25 April 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MVHI.2010.179 pp. 357–360. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/MVHI.2010.179
- A. Kumar, I. P. Singh, and S. K. Sud, “Energy efficient and low cost indoor environment monitoring system based on the IEEE 1451 standard,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2598–2610, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2011.2148171. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2011.2148171
- G. Wang, X. Cheng, and Z. Wang, “Terminal design of the intelligent data acquisition system based on USB interface,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 380-384, pp. 3629–3632, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.380-384.3629. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.380-384.3629
- L. Ramadoss and J. Y. Hung, “A study on universal serial bus latency in a real-time control system,” in 34th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, vol. 1-5, Orlando, Florida, USA, 10-13 November 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2008.4757930 pp. 19–24. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2008.4757930
- R. P. Gomez, J. J. E. Rodriguez, G. A. Hemandez, and A. M. Sibaja, “USB bulk transfers between a PC and a PIC microcontroller for embedded applications,” in 5th Electronics, Robotics and Automotive Mechanics Conference Proceedings (CERMA), Cuernavaca, Mexico, 30 September - 3 October 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CERMA.2008.21 pp. 559–564. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/CERMA.2008.21
- J. Augustyn and A. Bieñ, “Real time performance of USB interface in embedded control and measurement systems,” Przegląd Elektrotechniczny, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1–7, 2009.
- J. Augustyn and A. Tutaj, “Evaluation and optimisation of communication performance in a hybrid measurement and control system,” Studies in Informatics and Control, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 341–351, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.24846/v23i4y201404. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.24846/v23i4y201404
- A. Depari, A. Flammini, D. Marioli, and A. Taroni, “USB sensor network for industrial applications,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 1344–1349, July 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2008.915487. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2008.915487
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Kim, , and C. G. Lee, “The development of USB home control network system,” in 8th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV 2004), vol. 1-3, Kunming, Peoples Republic of China, 6-9 December 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICARCV.2004.1468839 pp. 289–293. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICARCV.2004.1468839
- C. P. Young, M. J. Devaney, and S. C. Wang, “Universal serial bus enhances virtual instrument-based distributed power monitoring,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1692–1697, December 2001. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/19.982969. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/19.982969
- P. P. Stang, S. M. Conolly, J. M. Santos, J. M. Pauly, and G. C. Scott, “Medusa: A scalable MR console using USB,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 370–379, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2011.2169681. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2011.2169681
- P. E. Guerrero, I. Gurov, A. Buchmann, and K. V. Laerhoven, “Diagnosing the weakest link in wsn testbeds: A reliability and cost analysis of the USB backchannel,” in Proceedings of the 37th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2012), Clearwater, Florida, USA, 22-25 October 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LCNW.2012.6424085 pp. 934–942. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/LCNW.2012. 6424085
- J. Dvorak and J. Havlik, “Data synchronization for independent USB devices,” in 2011 International Conference on Applied Electronics (AE), Pilsen, Czech Republic, 7-8 September 2011, pp. 1–3.
- P. Foster, A. Kouznetsov, N. Vlasenko, and C. Walker, “Subnanosecond distributed synchronisation via the universal serial bus,” in IEEE International Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication (ISPCS 2007), 1-3 October 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISPCS.2007.4383772 pp. 44–49. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/ISPCS.2007.4383772
- E. J. Bueno, A. Hernandez, F. J. Rodriguez, C. Girón, R. Mateos, and S. Cobreces, “A dsp- and fpga-based industrial control with high-speed communication interfaces for grid converters applied to distributed power generation systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 654–669, 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007043. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007043
- U. Saranli, A. Avci, and M. C. Ozturk, “A modular real-time fieldbus architecture for mobile robotic platforms,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 916–927, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2010.2078351.
- Universal Serial Bus Specification, Rev. 2.0, 27 April 2000.
- J. Axelson, USB Complete. Everything you need to develop Custom USB peripherals, 3rd ed. Lakeview Research LLC, 2005.
- M. Hall, “Windows CE 5.0 for real time systems,” Embedded Computing Design, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 37–43, 13 November 2005.