Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 645–649 (2018)
Abstract. Efficient distribution of IoT sensor data requires one-to-many communication, for which publish/subscribe is a better communication approach than request/response. In this paper, the goal is to identify the/those publish/subscribe protocol(s) that are best suited for IoT data. The premise is that data should be as fresh as possible. Hence, the metric is end-to-end delay and the recommended approach is the solution that yields the lowest delay under the test conditions. Raspberry Pi 3 was used as the testbed, since it is representative as an IoT platform. The protocols evaluated are: AMQP, MQTT, MQTT-SN, STOMP, WSN, and XMPP, as well as using a mediation service to translate between them.
- IoT Special Interest Group. Technology Strategy Board. 2013.
- Wind River Systems. The Internet Of Things For Defense. White Paper, 2015.
- Niranjan Suri et al. Analyzing the Applicability of Internet of Things to the Battlefield Environment. IEEE ICMCIS 2016, Brussels, Belgium, May 2016.
- Frank T. Johnsen, Zbigniew Zielinski, Konrad Wrona, Niranjan Suri, Christoph Fuchs, Manas Pradhan, Janusz Furtak, Bogdan Vasilache, Vincenzo Pellegrini, Michal Dyk, Michal Marks, and Mateusz Krzyszton. Application of IoT in Military Operations in a Smart City. IEEE ICMCIS 2018, Warsaw, Poland, 22nd – 23rd May 2018.
- P. Bartolomasi, T. Buckman, A. Campbell, J. Grainger, J. Mahaffey, R. Marchand, O. Kruidhof, C. Shawcross, and K. Veum. NATO network enabled capability feasibility study. Version 2.0, October 2005.
- A. Carzaniga, M. Papalini, and A. Wolf. Content-based Publish/Subscribe Networking and Information-centric Networking. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Information-centric networking, ACM, 2011.
- ISO/IEC 20922:2016. Information technology – Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT) v3.1.1. ISO/IEC JTC 1 Information technology. Publication date: June-2016. https://www.iso.org/standard/69466.html
- Andy Stanford-Clark and Hong Linh Truong. MQTT For Sensor Networks (MQTT-SN) Protocol Specification. Version 1.2. November 14, 2013. http://mqtt.org/new/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/MQTT-SN_spec_v1.2.pdf
- RabbitMQ. AMQP 0.9.1 protocol specification. https://www.rabbitmq.com/resources/specs/amqp0-9-1.pdf
- OASIS. WSN specifications. https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsn/
- Consultation, Command and Control Board (C3B). Core Enterprise Services Standards Recommendations: The SOA Baseline Profile Version 1.7. Enclosure 1 to AC/322-N(2011)0205, NATO Unclassified releasable to EAPC/PFP, 11 November 2011.
- STOMP Protocol Specification, Version 1.2 http://stomp.github.io/stomp-specification-1.2.html
- XMPP is the open standard for messaging and presence. https://xmpp.org/
- Farnell.com. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2020826.pdf
- IST-090. SOA Challenges for Real-Time and Disadvantaged Grids, Final Report of IST-090. AC/323(IST-090)TP/520. NATO. Published April 2014
- IST-118. IST-118 SOA recommendations for Disadvantaged Grids: Tactical SOA Profile, Metrics and the Demonstrator Development Spiral. Paper presented at the SCI-254 Symposium on “Architecture Assessment for NEC”. 14-15 May, 2013 in Estonia.
- Marco Manso, Frank T. Johnsen, Ketil Lund, and Kevin Chan. Using MQTT to Support Mobile Tactical Force Situational Awareness. IEEE ICMCIS 2018, Warsaw, Poland, 22nd – 23rd May 2018.
- Eirik Bertelsen et al. Federated publish/subscribe services. 9th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility & Security 26 to 28 February 2018. Paris, France.