Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 1025–1034 (2018)
Abstract. A cloud federation gives to cloud service providers (CSP) the opportunity to collaborate in order to offer a better QoS to customers at a lower cost. To do so, CSPs make some spare resources available to others at a reduced cost. One of the most critical resources is the storage system as it represents the main system bottleneck. From this point of view, how to efficiently place data in a federation of Clouds with heterogeneous storage systems is a real challenge. To address this issue, one needs to accurately estimate the data placement cost. In this paper, we propose a cost model for hybrid storage systems in a cloud federation for a Database as a Service (DBaaS) application. It takes into account the storage system characteristics, customers I/O workloads and SLA. The proposed cost model considers both 1) Internal customers data placement cost including local placement, outsourcing, back-migration and penalty costs, and 2) External customers data placement cost including insourcing and geo-migration costs. It can be used to help in the decision-making process which aims to enhance customers QoS and reduce CSPs costs in a federation. Simulation results showed the relevance of the considered costs. We have shown that mis-considering some sub-costs may lead to a 95\% cost error for external customers data placement and 80\% for outsourcing customers. This may cause significant financial loss.
- D. Villegas, N. Bobroff, I. Rodero, J. Delgado, Y. Liu, A. Devarakonda, L. Fong, S. M. Sadjadi, and M. Parashar, “Cloud federation in a layered service model,” Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 1330–1344, 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcss.2011.12.017.
- H. Li, C. Wu, Z. Li, and F. C. Lau, “Profit-maximizing virtual machine trading in a federation of selfish clouds,” in INFOCOM, 2013 Proceedings IEEE. IEEE, 2013, pp. 25–29, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/infcom.2013.6566728.
- M. R. Assis and L. F. Bittencourt, “A survey on cloud federation architectures: identifying functional and non-functional properties,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 72, pp. 51–71, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2016.06.014.
- R. Moreno-Vozmediano, E. Huedo, I. M. Llorente, R. S. Montero, P. Massonet, M. Villari, G. Merlino, A. Celesti, A. Levin, L. Schour et al., “Beacon: a cloud network federation framework,” in Communications in Computer and Information Science. Springer, 2016, pp. 325–337, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-33313-7_25.
- M. Amiri and L. Mohammad-Khanli, “Survey on prediction models of applications for resources provisioning in cloud,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 82, pp. 93–113, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2017.01.016.
- A. N. Toosi, R. N. Calheiros, R. K. Thulasiram, and R. Buyya, “Resource provisioning policies to increase iaas provider’s profit in a federated cloud environment,” in High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC), 2011 IEEE 13th International Conference on. IEEE, 2011, pp. 279–287, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/hpcc.2011.44.
- Y. Gu, D. Wang, and C. Liu, “Dr-cloud: Multi-cloud based disaster recovery service,” Tsinghua Science and Technology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 13–23, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tst.2014.6733204.
- E. Shriver, “Performance modeling for realistic storage devices,” 1997, https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=269078.
- M. A. Sharaf, P. K. Chrysanthis, A. Labrinidis, and C. Amza, “Optimizing i/o-intensive transactions in highly interactive applications,” in Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of data. ACM, 2009, pp. 785–798, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1559845.1559927.
- D. B. Terry, V. Prabhakaran, R. Kotla, M. Balakrishnan, M. K. Aguilera, and H. Abu-Libdeh, “Consistency-based service level agreements for cloud storage,” in Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles. ACM, 2013, pp. 309–324, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2517349.2522731.
- Y. Cheng, M. S. Iqbal, A. Gupta, A. R. Butt, and V. Tech, “Pricing games for hybrid object stores in the cloud: Provider vs. tenant.” in HotStorage, 2015, https://www.usenix.org/conference/hotcloud15/workshop-program/presentation/cheng.
- L. Lin, Y. Zhu, J. Yue, Z. Cai, and B. Segee, “Hot random off-loading: A hybrid storage system with dynamic data migration,” in Modeling, Analysis & Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), 2011 IEEE 19th International Symposium on. IEEE, 2011, pp. 318–325, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/mascots.2011.41.
- Y. Kim, A. Gupta, B. Urgaonkar, P. Berman, and A. Sivasubramaniam, “Hybridstore: A cost-efficient, high-performance storage system combining ssds and hdds,” in Modeling, Analysis & Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), 2011 IEEE 19th International Symposium on. IEEE, 2011, pp. 227–236, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/mascots.2011.64.
- N. Zhang, J. Tatemura, J. M. Patel, and H. Hacigümüş, “Towards cost-effective storage provisioning for dbmss,” Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 274–285, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.14778/2095686.2095687.
- H. Ouarnoughi, J. Boukhobza, F. Singhoff, and S. Rubini, “A cost model for virtual machine storage in cloud iaas context,” in Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing (PDP), 2016 24th Euromicro International Conference on. IEEE, 2016, pp. 664–671, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/pdp.2016.119.
- D. Boukhelef, J. Boukhobza, and K. Boukhalfa, “A cost model for dbaas storage,” in International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications. Springer, 2016, pp. 223–239, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-44403-1_14.
- M. Hadji and D. Zeghlache, “Mathematical programming approach for revenue maximization in cloud federations,” IEEE transactions on cloud computing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 99–111, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tcc.2015.2402674.
- Z. Wen, J. Cała, P. Watson, and A. Romanovsky, “Cost effective, reliable and secure workflow deployment over federated clouds,” IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 929–941, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tsc.2016.2543719.
- L. Zhang, C. Wu, Z. Li, C. Guo, M. Chen, and F. C. Lau, “Moving big data to the cloud: An online cost-minimizing approach,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 2710–2721, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/jsac.2013.131211.
- W. Xiao, W. Bao, X. Zhu, and L. Liu, “Cost-aware big data processing across geo-distributed datacenters,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 3114–3127, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tpds.2017.2708120.
- Y. Mansouri, A. N. Toosi, and R. Buyya, “Cost optimization for dynamic replication and migration of data in cloud data centers,” IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tcc.2017.2659728.
- A. Khosravi, L. L. Andrew, and R. Buyya, “Dynamic vm placement method for minimizing energy and carbon cost in geographically distributed cloud data centers,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 183–196, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tsusc.2017.2709980.
- K. Le, R. Bianchini, J. Zhang, Y. Jaluria, J. Meng, and T. D. Nguyen, “Reducing electricity cost through virtual machine placement in high performance computing clouds,” in Proceedings of 2011 International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis. ACM, 2011, p. 22, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2063384.2063413.
- H. Yuan, J. Bi, W. Tan, and B. H. Li, “Cawsac: Cost-aware workload scheduling and admission control for distributed cloud data centers,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 976–985, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tase.2015.2427234.
- S. Rebai, M. Hadji, and D. Zeghlache, “Improving profit through cloud federation,” in Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), 2015 12th Annual IEEE. IEEE, 2015, pp. 732–739, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ccnc.2015.7158069.
- M. Hadji, B. Aupetit, and D. Zeghlache, “Cost-efficient algorithms for critical resource allocation in cloud federations,” in Cloud Networking (Cloudnet), 2016 5th IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2016, pp. 1–6, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/cloudnet.2016.11.
- J. Boukhobza, “Flashing in the cloud: Shedding some light on nand flash memory storage systems,” in Data Intensive Storage Services for Cloud Environments. IGI Global, 2013, pp. 241–266, http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-3934-8.ch015.
- J. Boukhobza and P. Olivier, Flash Memory Integration: Performance and Energy Issues. Elsevier, 2017, https://www.elsevier.com/books/flash-memory-integration/boukhobza/978-1-78548-124-6.
- D. Lee, C. Min, and Y. I. Eom, “Effective flash-based ssd caching for high performance home cloud server,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 215–221, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tce.2015.7150596.
- C. Wu and R. Buyya, Cloud Data Centers and Cost Modeling: A complete guide to planning, designing and building a cloud data center. Morgan Kaufmann, 2015, https://www.elsevier.com/books/cloud-data-centers-and-cost-modeling/wu/978-0-12-801413-4.
- J. Tai, B. Sheng, Y. Yao, and N. Mi, “Live data migration for reducing sla violations in multi-tiered storage systems,” in Cloud Engineering (IC2E), 2014 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2014, pp. 361–366, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ic2e.2014.8.
- W. Xiao, X. Lei, R. Li, N. Park, and D. J. Lilja, “Pass: a hybrid storage system for performance-synchronization tradeoffs using ssds,” in Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (ISPA), 2012 IEEE 10th International Symposium on. IEEE, 2012, pp. 403–410, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ispa.2012.59.
- Square kilometre array. https://www.skatelescope.org/.
- A. Simonet, A. Lebre, and A.-C. Orgerie, “Deploying distributed cloud infrastructures: Who and at what cost?” in Cloud Engineering Workshop (IC2EW), 2016 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2016, pp. 178–183, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ic2ew.2016.48.
- N. Grozev and R. Buyya, “Inter-cloud architectures and application brokering: taxonomy and survey,” Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 369–390, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spe.2168.
- A. N. Toosi, R. N. Calheiros, and R. Buyya, “Interconnected cloud computing environments: Challenges, taxonomy, and survey,” ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), vol. 47, no. 1, p. 7, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2593512.
- N. K. Gill and S. Singh, “A dynamic, cost-aware, optimized data replication strategy for heterogeneous cloud data centers,” Future Generation Computer Systems, vol. 65, pp. 10–32, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2016.05.016.
- R. N. Calheiros, R. Ranjan, A. Beloglazov, C. A. De Rose, and R. Buyya, “Cloudsim: a toolkit for modeling and simulation of cloud computing environments and evaluation of resource provisioning algorithms,” Software: Practice and experience, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 23–50, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spe.995.