Citation: Proceedings of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 15, pages 623–627 (2018)
Abstract. Using mobile phones for accessing the Internet has become a standard use case of such devices, nowadays even more important than the good old phone call. WiFi at home or public ones allow for a low-cost or even unpaid access to the virtual world of the Internet. But, as we will show, this is only true to some degree in terms of monetary cost. One thing we're paying a lot with is the loss of our privacy. In this paper, we will show how easily and cheap potential attackers can track your mobile phone and, thus, you via data it sends all the time, so-called probe requests. Additionally we show by experimental data how this tracking can be used for traffic jam analysis on roads.
- S. Khandelwal, “Spying agencies tracking your location by capturing mac address of your devices,” The Hacker News - Security in a serious way, 2014, http://thehackernews.com/2014/01/spying-agencies-tracking-your-location_31.html.
- A. Mamiit, “Apple implements random mac address on ios 8. goodbye, marketers,” Tech Times, 2014, http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8233/20140612/apple-implements-random-mac-address-on-ios-8-goodbye-marketers.htm.
- C. Chilipirea, A. C. Petre, C. Dobre, and M. van Steen, “Presumably simple: Monitoring crowds using wifi,” in 2016 17th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), vol. 1, June 2016, pp. 220–225.
- J. Martin, T. Mayberry, C. Donahue, L. Foppe, L. Brown, C. Riggins, E. C. Rye, and D. Brown, “A study of MAC address randomization in mobile devices and when it fails,” CoRR, vol. abs/1703.02874, 2017. [Online]. Available: http://arxiv.org/abs/1703.02874
- S. Anker, “Freie Fahrt – Wo geht das noch in Deutschland?” PS-Welt, 2013, https://www.welt.de/motor/article121455433/Freie-Fahrt-Wo-geht-das-noch-in-Deutschland.html.
- WP moto, “Odcinkowy pomiar prędkości na a1 działał tydzień,” WP moto, 2011, http://moto.wp.pl/odcinkowy-pomiar-predkosci-na-a1-dzialal-tydzien-6068745844532353a.
- P. Bellavista, F. Caselli, A. Corradi, and L. Foschini, “Cooperative Vehicular Traffic Monitoring in Realistic Low Penetration Scenarios: The COLOMBO Experience,” Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), vol. 18, no. 3, March 2018. [Online]. Available: http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5876597
- N. K. Singh, L. Vanajakashi, and A. K. Tangirala, “Segmentation of vehicle signatures from inductive loop detector (ILD) data for realtime traffic monitoring,” in 2018 10th International Conference on Communication Systems Networks (COMSNETS), Jan 2018, pp. 601–606.
- L. Demir, “Wi-Fi tracking : what about privacy,” Master’s thesis, M2 SCCI Security, Cryptologyand Coding of Information - UFR IMAG, Sep. 2013. [Online]. Available: https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00859013
- P. Fuxjaeger, S. Ruehrup, T. Paulin, and B. Rainer, “Towards privacy-preserving wi-fi monitoring for road traffic analysis,” IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 63–74, 2016.
- J. Freudiger, “How talkative is your mobile device?: An experimental study of wi-fi probe requests,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Security & Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks, ser. WiSec ’15. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2015, pp. 8:1–8:6. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2766498.2766517