Citation: Position Papers of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 16, pages 93–97 (2018)
Abstract. Looking at the end-to-end processing, typical software-intensive systems are built as a system-of-systems where each sub-system specializes according to both the business and technology perspective. One challenge is the integration of all systems into a single system -- crossing technological and organizational boundaries as well as functional domains. To facilitate the successful integration, we apply the system design process Simulation Driven Development (SDD). The basic idea is the application of realistic simulation models in parallel to existing software engineering procedures to enable testing and validation from day one. In this article we discuss the coupling of sub-systems implemented as virtual simulation models with sub-systems implemented as real sub-systems to enable unit tests against system level. Two approaches are presented: loose coupling and tight coupling.
- B. Boehm: A view of 20th and 21st century software engineering. Proceedings of the 28th international conference on Software engineering, ACM, 2006, pp. 12-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1134285.1134288.
- W. W. Royce: Managing the development of large software systems. Proceedings of IEEE WESCON, Los Angeles, Aug. 1970, pp. 1-9.
- Verein zur Weiterentwicklung des V-Modell XT e.V. (Weit e.V.): V-Modell XT version 2.0. [accessed 21-Jan-16]. Available: http://www.v-modell-xt.de/
- S. Biffl, D. Winkler, R. Höhn, and H. Wetzel: Software process improvement in Europe: Potential of the new V- Modell XT and research issues. Software Process: Improvement and Practice, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 229-238, Jun. 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spip.266
- D. Janzen and H. Saiedian: Test-Driven Development: Concepts, taxonomy, and future direction. Computer, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 43-50, Sep. 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MC.2005.314
- Manifesto for agile software development, [accessed 29- Jul-2015]. Available: http://www.agilemanifesto.org/.
- I. Sommerville, D. Cliff, R. Calinescu, J. Keen, T. Kelly, M. Kwiatkowska, J. McDermid, and R. Paige: Large-scale complex IT systems. Communications of the ACM, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 71-77, Jul. 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2209249.2209268
- D. Cliff and L. Northrop: The global financial markets: An ultra-large-scale systems perspective. In R. Calinescu and D. Garlan (Eds.): Large-Scale Complex IT Systems. Development, Operation and Management. Ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 7539, pp. 29-70, Berlin: Springer, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-34059-8_2.
- Baumann, T, “Simulation-driven design of distributed systems”. In SAE International, SAE Technical Paper, pp. 1-7, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0458.
- E. J. Weyuker: Testing component-based software: A cautionary tale. IEEE Software, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 54-59, Sep. 1998. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/52.714817
- B. Pfitzinger, T. Baumann, and T. Jestädt, “Simulation driven development - validation of requirements in the early design stages of complex systems - the example of the German toll system," in Proceedings of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds., ser. Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 11, IEEE, Sep. 2017, pp. 1127-1134. doi: 10.15439/2017F133.
- Gerrard, P. and N. Thompson: „Risk-Based E-Business Testing“, Artech House INC 2002, ISBN-13: 9781580533140, ISBN-10: 1580533140
- A. Salkintzis, C. Fors, and R. Pazhyannur, "WLAN-GPRS Integration for Next-generation Mobile Data Networks," IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 112-124, October 2002. doi: 10.1109/MWC.2002.1043861
- Beck, F. and Diehl, S., “On the Congruence of Modularity and Code Coupling”, in 19th ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering and 13rd European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC/FSE '11), Szeged, Hungary, September 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2025113.2025162
- Pfitzinger, B.; Baumann, T.; Jestädt, T.: Network Resource Usage of the German Toll System: Lessons from a Realistic Simulation Model. In: 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) (2013), pp. 5115–5122. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2013.41
- Rekik, R. and Hasnaoui, S., “Application of a CAN BUS Transport for DDS Middleware”; 2009 Second International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies, London, 2009, pp. 766-771.http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICADIWT.2009.5273919
- Deniz, E. et al., “DDS Based MIL-STD-1553B Data Bus Interface Simulation”; The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, vol 12, issue 2, pp. 179 – 188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1548512914530534