Citation: Position Papers of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 16, pages 63–68 (2018)
Abstract. Along with the increasing globalization and development of information and communication technology, business models are changing, and thus the need for innovative knowledge management is growing. Current knowledge management systems very often are not used optimally/effectively for decision-making because of the lack of real-time data. This article draws attention to the current trend in the area of organization management and IT management related to the emergence and growing popularity of the Internet of Things. The authors try to assess the potential of IoT in the context of improving knowledge processes (locating, acquiring, using, sharing and disseminating as well as preserving / coding / archiving / collecting), especially acquiring and sharing data and determining IoT impact on knowledge management and learning of the organization. The possible positive effects of implementing IoT in enterprises of various types, as well as threats and challenges that must be met by organizations that care about increasing their competitive position using IoT will be presented.
- A. Rot, M. Sobińska M., “Knowledge management in the cloud computing model - challenges, opportunities and risks”, in Position Papers of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds.), Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 12, 2017, Polskie Wydawnictwo Informatyczne, Warsaw, 2017, pp. 177-181.
- M. Dolińska, Innovations in knowledge based economy, (In Polish) Warsaw, Polskie Wydawnictwo Ekonomiczne, 2010.
- E. Stańczyk-Hugiet, Strategic context of knowledge management, (In Polish), Wroclaw University of Economics Publishing House, Wroclaw, 2007.
- L. Uden, W. He, “How the Internet of Things can help knowledge management: a case study from the automotive domain”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 21 Issue: 1, 2017, https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1108/JKM-07-2015-0291, pp.57-70.
- U. Ganesh, Internet of things: Impact on learning and knowledge management, Financial Express 22-nd of December 2014, https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/technology/internet-of-things-impact-on-learning-and-knowledge-management/21816/
- G. Santoro, D. Vrontis, A. Thrassou, L. Dezi , “The Internet of Things: Building a knowledge management system for open innovation and knowledge management capacity”, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Available online 16 March 2017, Elsevier, 2017, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S00 40162517302846?via%3Dihub
- M. Krysiński, “The Internet of Things - innovative tool for companies”, (In Polish) Ekonomiczne Problemy Usług no. 122, University of Szczecin, Szczecin 2016, http://www.wzieu.pl/zn/epu/122/epu_122.pdf, pp. 281-290.
- J. Kaivo-oja, P. Virtanen, H. Jalonen, J. Stenvall, “The Effects of the Internet of Things and Big Data to Organizations and Their Knowledge Management Practices”, Conference Paper in Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, August 2015.
- A. Murray, A. Papa, B. Cuozzo, G. Russo, “Evaluating the innovation of the Internet of Things: Empirical evidence from the intellectual capital assessment”, Business Process Management Journal, Vol. 22 Issue: 2/2016, Emerald Insight, https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/BPMJ-05-2015-0077, pp. 341-356.
- J. Holler, V. Tsiatsis, From Machine-to-Machine to the Internet of Things: Introduction to a New Age of Intelligence, Elsevier, 2014.
- P. Middleton, P. Kjeldsen, J. Tully, Forecast: The Internet of Things, Worldwide 2013, Gartner, November 2013, www.gartner.com/doc/2625419/forecast-internet-things-worldwide-.
- W. Nowakowski, “Closer to the cloud, computational services in the fog” (In Polish), Elektronika – konstrukcje, technologie, zastosowania nr 5/2015, Instytut Maszyn Matematycznych, Warsaw 2015, http://www.imm.org.pl/imm/plik/pliki-do-pobrania-elektronika52015 _nn358.pdf
- McKinsey&Company, The Internet Of Things: Mapping The Value Beyond The Hype, McKinsey Global Institute, 2015, http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/the-internet-of-things-the-value-of-digitizing-the-physical-world.
- Beecham Research, IoT Sector Map, 2016, http://www.beechamresearch.com/article.aspx?id=4.
- H. Bauer, M. Patel, J. Veira, The Internet of Things: Sizing up the opportunity, http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/high-tech/our-insights/the-internet-of-things-sizing-up-the-opportunity, McKinsey&Company, 2014.
- M Van Rijmenam M., Three Major Challenges for the Internet of Things, http://www.datafloq.com/read/three-major-challenges-internet-of-things/83
- EY, Insights on governance, risk and compliance: Cybersecurity and the Internet of Things, Ernst & Young 2015, www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-cybersecurity-and-the-internet-of-things/$FILE/EY-cybersecurity-and-the-internet-of-things.pdf
- D. Niyato, Economics of Internet of Things (IoT): An Information Market Approach, Computer Science, 2012.
- D. Lund, C. MacGillivray, V. Turner, M. Morales, Worldwide and Regional Internet of Things (IoT) 2014–2020 Forecast: A Virtuous Circle of Proven Value and Demand, Worldwide Semiannual Internet of Things Spending Guide IDC, 2014, https://www.business.att.com/content/article/IoT-worldwide_regional _2014-2020 -forecast.pdf.
- A. Rot, B. Blaicke B., “The Internet of Things Security. Selected threats and countermeasures. Manufacturing systems case study” [In Polish], Management, Czestochowa Technical University, no. 26, 2017, pp. 188-198.
- G. Hui, How the Internet of Things Changes Business Models, Harvard Business Review, 29 July 2014, https://hbr.org/2014/07/how-the-internet-of-things-changes-business-models
- L. Xu, W. He, S. Li, Internet of Things in industries: a survey, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 10 No. 4, 2014, pp. 2233-2243.
- W. He, L. Xu, “A state-of-the-art survey of cloud manufacturing”, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 28 No. 3, 2015, pp. 239-250.
- Z. Bi, G. Wang, L.D. Xu, “A visualization platform for Internet of Things in manufacturing applications”, Internet Research, Vol. 26 No. 2, 2016, pp. 377-401.
- K. H. Badimo, The Increasing Importance of Knowledge Management in the Digital World through the Internet of Things, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/increasing-importance-knowledge-management-digital-world-kgabo-badimo/
- A. Rot, M. Sobińska, “IT security threats in cloud computing sourcing model”, Proceedings of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds.), 2013, IEEE, pp. 1141-1144.