Scaling agile on large enterprise level – systematic bundling and application of state of the art approaches for lasting agile transitions
Alexander Poth, Mario Kottke, Andreas Riel
Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 851–860 (2019)
Abstract. Organizations are looking for ways of establishing agile and lean process for delivery. Many approaches exist in the form of frameworks, methods and tools to setup an individual composition for a best fit. The challenge is that large organizations are heterogeneous and diverse, and hence there is no ``one size fits all'' approach. To facilitate a systematic implementation of agile and lean, this article proposes a transition kit based on abstraction. This kit scouts and bundles state of the art methods and tools from the agile and lean community to align them with governance and compliance aspects of the specific enterprise. Coaching of the application of the transition kit ensures an adequate instantiation. The instantiation handles business domain specific aspects and standards. A coaching governance ensures continuous improvement. An example of the systematic application of the transition approach as well as its scaling is demonstrated through its application in the Volkswagen Group IT.
- Marvin R. Gottlieb, “The Matrix Organization Reloaded: Adventures in Team and Project Management,” Praeger Publishers, 2007, ISBN 0275991334
- Kesler, Gregory, “Leading organization design : how to make organization design decisions to drive the results you want,” Kates, Amy. (1st ed.) 2011, pp. 9–10. ISBN 9780470912836
- B. J. Robertson, “Holacracy : the new management system for a rapidly changing world,” 2015, Henry Holt & Co, ISBN 9781627794282
- D. Beck, C. Cowan, “Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership, and Change,” 1996, Wiley-Blackwell, ISBN 1-55786-940-5.
- C. F. Kurtz, D. J. Snowden, "The new dynamics of strategy: Sense-making in a complex and complicated world," IBM Systems Journal. 42 (3): 462–483, 2003, http://dx.doi.org/10.1147/sj.423.0462
- M. Rother, J. Shook, “Learning to See: value-stream mapping to create value and eliminate muda,” Brookline, Massachusetts: Lean Enterprise Institute, 1999, ISBN 0-9667843-0-8.
- R.D. Stacey, C. Mowles, “Strategic Management and Organisational Dynamics,” Pearson, 2015, ISBN-13: 978-1292078748
- G. Buzaglo, S. A. Wheelan, “The Group Development Questionnaire: A Scientific Method Improving Work Team Effectiveness,” Annual Quality Congress, Vol. 51 No. 0 pp. 737-741, 1997
- D. Leffingwell “SAFe® 4.0 Reference Guide: Scaled Agile Framework® For Lean Software and Systems Engineering,” Addison-Wesley Professional, 2016, ISBN 978-01234510545
- K. Schwaber “Agile Project Management With Scrum,” Microsoft press Redmond, 2004, ISBN 978-0735619937
- T. Ohno, « Toyota Production - beyond large-scale production, Productivity Press, 1988, pp. 25–28, ISBN 0-915299-14-3
- K. Beck, “Embracing change with extreme programming,” Computer, 32 (10), 1999, pp. 70-77
- J. Liedtka, “Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit For Managers,” New York: Columbia University Press, 2011, ISBN 0-231-15838-6
- http://www.hec.unil.ch/aosterwa/PhD/Osterwalder_PhD_BM_Ontolo gy.pdf
- L. Buglione, A. Abran, "Improving the User Story Agile Technique Using the INVEST Criteria," Joint Conference of the 23rd International Workshop on Software Measurement and the 8th International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement, Ankara, 2013, pp. 49-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IWSM-Mensura.2013.18
- N. Davis, "Driving Quality Improvement and Reducing Technical Debt with the Definition of Done," 2013 Agile Conference, Nashville, TN, 2013, pp. 164-168, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/AGILE.2013.21
- A. Poth, A. Sunyaev, "Effective Quality Management: Value- and Risk-Based Software Quality Management," in IEEE Software, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 79-85, Nov.-Dec. 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MS.2013.138
- G. A. Moore, “Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers”, Harper Business, 3rd Edition, 2014, ISBN 978-0062353948
- E. Ries, “The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses,” Currency, 2017, ISBN 978-1524762407
- K. Ely, “Evaluating leadership coaching: A review and integrated framework,” In: The Leadership Quarterly. 21, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2010.06.003
- S. W. Ambler, "Scaling agile software development through lean governance," 2009 ICSE Workshop on Software Development Governance, Vancouver, BC, 2009, pp. 1-2. DOI: 10.1109/SDG.2009.5071328
- D. Talby, Y. Dubinsky, "Governance of an agile software project," 2009 ICSE Workshop on Software Development Governance, Vancouver, BC, 2009, pp. 40-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SDG.2009.5071336
- R. Bavani, “Governance Patterns in Global Software Engineering: Best Practices and Lessons Learned,” IEEE 6. International Conference on Global Software Engineering, 2011, pp. 50-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICGSE.2011.17
- S. V. Shrivastava, U. Rathod, “A risk management framework for distributed agile projects,” Information and Software Technology, Volume 85 (2017), Pages 1-15, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2016.12.005
- T. J. Gandomani, M. Z. Nafchi, “An empirically-developed framework for Agile transition and adoption: A Grounded Theory approach,” Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 107, (2015), Pages 204-219, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.06.006
- R. Chen, R. Ravichandar, D. Proctor, “Managing the transition to the new agile business and product development model: Lessons from Cisco Systems,” Business Horizons, Volume 59, Issue 6 (2016), Pages 635-644, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.06.005
- K. Dikert, M. Paasivaara, C. Lassenius, “Challenges and success factors for large-scale agile transformations: A systematic literature review,” Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 119, (2016), Pages 87-108, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.06.013
- M. Kersten, "What Flows through a Software Value Stream?," in IEEE Software, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 8-11, July/August 2018.
- W. B. Rouse, "A theory of enterprise transformation," 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Waikoloa, HI, 2005, pp. 966-972 Vol. 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/sys.20035
- A. Poth, “Effectivity and economical aspects for agile quality assurance in large enterprises,” Journal for Software Process: Improvement and Practice, Volume 28 Issue 11, p 1000-1004, Wiley, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/0.1002/smr.1823
- A. Poth, M. Kottke, “How to Assure Agile Method and Process Alignment in an Organization?” Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 896, Springer, 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-97925-0_35
- Sutherland et al. http://www.agilemanifesto.org
- J. Webster, R. T. Watson, “Analyzing the past to prepare for the future: Writing a literature review,” MIS Quarterly, 2002, 26(2):13-23
- https://www.agileworld.de/keynotes (better reference will included for final paper version – conference is in the future)
- https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679&from=EN
- M. E. Conway, "How do Committees Invent?", Datamation, 14 (5): 28–31, 1968
- F. T. Taylor, “The Principles of Scientific Management,” New York, NY, USA and London, UK: Harper & Brothers, 1911
- P. Hines, R. Nick, "The seven value stream mapping tools," International journal of operations & production management 17.1 (1997): 46-64.
- M. Poppendieck, T. Poppendieck, “Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit: An Agile Toolkit,” Addison-Wesley, 2003, ISBN 978-0321150783
- S. Ambler, M. Lines, “Disciplined Agile Delivery: A Practitioner's Guide to Agile Software Delivery in the Enterprise,” IBM Press, 2012, ISBN 978-0132810135.
- N. Asthana, T. Chefalas, A. Karve, A. Segal, M. Dubey, S. Zeng, “A Declarative Approach for Service Enablement on Hybrid Cloud Orchestration Engines,” Proceedings Network Operations and Management Symposium. IEEE 2018, DOI: 10.1109/NOMS.2018.8406175
- R. Sirkiä, M. Laanti, “Adaptive Finance and Control: Combining Lean, Agile, and Beyond Budgeting for Financial and Organizational Flexibility,” 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. IEEE, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2015.596