Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 519–528 (2019)
Abstract. Organisations worldwide are facing a market pressures which are forcing them to undertake digital transformation projects or initiatives. This research study set out to explore this in more depth, asking questions about the intention of South African (SA) retail organisations to adopt digital transformation and probing into the understanding and perception of digital transformation itself, as well as future intended use cases for available digital technologies. A case study approach was deemed to be an appropriate strategy given the paucity of existing academic research on the topic. Participants in the study had a good understanding of digital transformation and digital technologies, but perceptions were mixed. The most prominent digital transformation initiatives in the SA retail industry were the adoption of cloud technologies and data analytics. The factors identified in this study, using the Technology, Organisational, and Environmental (TOE) framework, can assist retailers in their decision-making process concerning digital transformation adoption.
- E. Henriette, M. Feki and I. Boughzala, 2015. The shape of digital transformation: a systematic literature review. MCIS 2015 Proceedings, 431-443.
- O. Gassmann, K. Frankenberger and M. Csik. The business model navigator: 55 models that will revolutionise your business. Cambridge: Pearson, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3139/9783446437654.003
- S. K. Sia, C. Soh and P. Weill, 2016. How DBS Bank Pursued a Digital Business Strategy. MIS Quarterly, 15(2), 105-121.
- L. Hudson and J. Ozanne, 1988. Alternative Ways of Seeking Knowledge in Consumer Research. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(4), 508-521. https://doi.org/10.1086/209132
- G. Westerman, D. Bonnet and A. McAfee, 2014. Leading digital: Turning technology into business transformation. Massachusetts: Harvard Business Press, 13-15.
- K. Dery, I. M. Sebastian, and N. van der Meulen, “The Digital Workplace is Key to Digital Innovation,” MIS Quarterly, 16(2),2017, 135-152.
- I. M. Sebastian, J. W. Ross, C. Beath, M. Mocker, K. G. Moloney and N. O. Fonstad, 2017. How Big Old Companies Navigate Digital Transformation. MIS Quarterly, 197-213.
- E. M. Rodgers, 1995. Diffusion of innovations (4th Ed.). New York, NY: Free Press.
- G. C. Kane, D. Palmer, A. N. Phillips and D. Kiron, 2017. “Winning the digital war for talent.” MIT Sloan Management Review, 58(2), 17-19.
- R. Hansen and S. Sia, 2015. Hummel's Digital Transformation Toward Omni-channel Retailing: Key Lessons Learned. MIS Quarterly, 14(2), 132 - 149.
- D. L. Rogers, 2016. The digital transformation playbook: rethink your business for the digital age, Columbia: Columbia University Press. https://doi.org/10.7312/roge17544
- M. H. Ismail, M. Khater and M. Zaki, 2017. Digital Business Transformation and Strategy: What Do We Know So Far? University of Cambridge, Working Paper ITWeb IoT Survey. http://v2.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166391&Ite mid=3087, [15 April 2017]
- D. L. Soule, N. Carrier, D. Bonnet and G. F. Westerman, 2014. Organizing for a Digital Future: Opportunities and Challenges. MIT Center for Digital Business and Capgemini Consulting. Working Paper. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2698379
- H. Gimpel, S. Hosseini, R. Huber, L Probst, M. Röglinger and U. Faisst, Structuring Digital Transformation: A Framework of Action Fields and its Application at ZEISS. Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application, 19(1), 2018, 32-54.
- T. Hess, C. Matt, A. Benlian and F. Wiesböck, 2016. Options for Formulating a Digital Transformation Strategy. MIS Quarterly, 15(2), 123-139.
- H. Ghasemkhani, D. L. Soule and G. F. Westerman, Competitive Advantage in a Digital World: Toward an Information-Based View of the Firm. MIT Center of Digital Business, Working Paper, (2014). https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2698775
- M. Lane, A. Shrestha and O. Ali, 2017. Managing the risks of data security and privacy in the cloud: a shared responsibility between the cloud service provider and the client organisation. Seoul, The Bright Internet Global Summit.
- M. Carroll, A. Van Der Merwe and P. Kotze, Secure cloud computing: Benefits, risks and controls. Information Security South Africa (ISSA), IEEE. 2011, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISSA.2011.6027519
- K. K. Patel, S. M. Patel and P.S.A Professor, 2016. Internet of Things-IOT: definition, characteristics, architecture, enabling technologies, application & future challenges. International Journal of Engineering Science and Computing, 6(5).
- O. Vermesan and J. Bacquet, 2017. Cognitive Hyperconnected Digital Transformation: Internet of Things Intelligence Evolution, Eds. Demark: River Publishers. https://doi.org/10.13052/rp-9788793609105
- O. A. Sawy, P. Kræmmergaard, H. Amsinck and A. L. Vinther, 2015. How LEGO Built the Foundations and Enterprise Capabilities for Digital Leadership. MIS Quarterly, 15(2).
- A. Singh and T. Hess, 2017. How Chief Digital Officers Promote the Digital Transformation of their Companies. MIS Quarterly, 16(1).
- N. Urbach, P. Drews, and J. Ross, 2017. Digital business transformation and the changing role of the IT Function. comments on the special issue. MIS Quarterly, 16(2).
- E. Huré, K. Picot-Coupey and C. L. Ackermann, 2017. Understanding Omni-channel shopping value: A mixed-method study. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 39, 314-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2017.08.011
- P. C. Verhoef, P. K. Kannan and J. J. Inman, 2015. From multi-channel retailing to Omni- channel retailing: introduction to the special issue on multi-channel retailing. Journal of retailing, 91(2), 174-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2015.02.005
- R. DePietro, E. Wiarda, and M. Fleischer, Processes of Technological Innovation. Massachusetts, MA: Lexington Books, 1990.
- J. Baker, The technology–organization–environment framework Information systems theory, New York, NY: Springer, 2012, pp. 231-245. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6108-2_12
- I. Benbasat, D. K. Goldstein and M. Mead, “The case research strategy in studies of information systems,” MIS Quarterly, 1987, 369-386. https://doi.org/10.2307/248684
- M. Rodriguez, R. M. Peterson and H. Ajjan, 2015. CRM/social media technology: impact on customer orientation process and organizational sales performance. Ideas in Marketing: Finding the New and Polishing the Old, 636-638. Springer: Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10951-0_233
- A. Lin and N. C. Chen, 2012. Cloud computing as an innonvation: Perception, attitude, and adoption. International Journal of Information Management, 32(6), 533-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2012.04.001