Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 505–514 (2019)
Abstract. IoT increasingly permeates the public area, e.g., in traffic control and public transport. We propose to equip conventional urban objects with IoT technology to transform them into Smart Urban Objects (SUO's). While there exists some research exploring the potentials, specific solutions to enhance safety for the elderly outdoors are still lacking. The elderly's safety is threatened due to declining physical conditions. As a consequence, the elderly may be excluded from outdoor activities such as participating in major events. Against this backdrop, we design SUOs for adaptive indications of urban hazards, barrierfree passages and for smart reservation of seats to enhance resting possibilities. We report on our solution using Bluetooth technology for remote sensing of older pedestrians serving as input for the objects' adaptive capacities. The SUOs have been installed for test purposes on a major event in a larger German city.
- OECD, Ed., Ageing and Transport. Paris: OECD, 2001.
- J. D. Moreland, J. A. Richardson, C. H. Goldsmith, and C. M. Clase, “Muscle Weakness and Falls in Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 1121–1129, 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52310.x
- N. D. Carter, P. Kannus, and K. M. Khan, “Exercise in the Prevention of Falls in Older People,” Sports Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 427–438, 2001. http://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200131060-00003
- A. M. Bastos, C. G. Faria, E. Moreira, D. Morais, J. M. Melo-de Carvalho, and M. C. Paul, “The importance of neighborhood ecological assets in community dwelling old people aging outcomes: A study in Northern Portugal,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 7, p. Article 156, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fnagi.2015.00156
- J. D. Fortuijn, M. van der Meer, V. Burholt, D. Ferring, S. Quattrini, I. R. Hallberg, G. Weber, and G. C. Wenger, “The activity patterns of older adults: a cross-sectional study in six European countries,” Population, Space and Place, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 353–369, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/psp.422
- Z. Gabriel and A. Bowling, “Quality of life from the perspectives of older people,” Ageing and Society, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 675–691, 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X03001582
- J. Leukel, B. Schehl, S. Wallrafen, and M. Hubl, “Impact of IT Use by Older Adults on Their Outdoor Activities,” in Proc. of the 38th Int. Conf. on Information Systems (ICIS 2017), 2017.
- T. Haustein, J. Mischke, F. Schönfeld, and I. Willand, Eds., Older people in Germany and the EU. Wiesbaden: Federal Statistical Office, 2016.
- M. Rantakokko, S. Iwarsson, M. Kauppinen, R. Leinonen, E. Heikkinen, and T. Rantanen, “Quality of Life and Barriers in the Urban Outdoor Environment in Old Age,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 2154–2159, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03143.x
- T. Sugiyama and C. W. Thompson, “Environmental Support for Outdoor Activities and Older People’s Quality of Life,” Journal of Housing For the Elderly, vol. 19, no. 3-4, pp. 167–185, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J081v19n03 09
- F. Bellotti, E. Ferretti, and A. De Gloria, “Discovering the European Heritage Through the ChiKho Educational Web Game,” in Proc. of the 1st Int. Conf. on Intelligent Technologies for Interactive Entertainment (INTETAIN 2005). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2005, pp. 13–22.
- E. S. Poulsen, A. Morrison, H. J. Andersen, and O. B. Jensen, “Responsive lighting,” in Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Human-computer interaction with mobile devices and services - MobileHCI ’13. ACM Press, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2493190.2493218 p. 217.
- P. Cremonesi, A. D. Rienzo, and F. Garzotto, “Personalized interactive public screens,” in Proc. of the 4th Workshop on Interacting with Smart Objects (at ACM IUI 2015), 2015, pp. 10–15.
- J. Yang, J. Portilla, and T. Riesgo, “Smart parking service based on Wireless Sensor Networks,” in IECON 2012 - 38th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. IEEE, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2012.6389096 pp. 6029–6034.
- R. J. Shepard, “Age and Physical Work Capacity,” Experimental Aging Research, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 331–343, 1999. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/036107399243788
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Improving Transportation for a Maturing Society. Washingston, DC: Office of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, 1997.
- N. G. Leveson, Engineering a Safer World. Massachusetts: The MIT Press, 2012.
- A. Rayes and S. Salam, Internet of Things From Hype to Reality. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019.
- L. Atzori, A. Iera, and G. Morabito, “The Internet of Things: A survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 2787–2805, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2010.05.010
- L. D. Xu, W. He, and S. Li, “Internet of Things in Industries: A Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 2233–2243, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2300753
- G. Kortuem, F. Kawasar, D. Fitton, and V. Sundramoorthy, “Smart objects as building blocks for the internet of things,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MIC.2009.143
- T. S. López, D. C. Ranasinghe, B. Patkai, and D. McFarlane, “Taxonomy, technology and applications of smart objects,” Information Systems Frontiers, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 281–300, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10796-009-9218-4
- J.-P. Vasseur and A. Dunkels, “Smart Cities and Urban Networks,” in Interconnecting Smart Objects with IP. Burlington: Elsevier, 2010, ch. 22, pp. 335–351.
- B. Hammi, R. Khatoun, S. Zeadally, A. Fayad, and L. Khoukhi, “IoT technologies for smart cities,” IET Networks, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-net.2017.0163
- A. Zanella, N. Bui, A. Castellani, L. Vangelista, and M. Zorzi, “Internet of Things for Smart Cities,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–32, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2014.2306328
- A. Huldtgren, C. Katsimerou, A. Kuijsters, J. A. Redi, and I. E. J. Heynderickx, “Design Considerations for Adaptive Lighting to Improve Senior’s Mood,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Smart Homes and Health Telematics (ICOST 2015). Springer (LNCS), 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19312-0 2 pp. 15–26.
- M. Cunha and H. Fuks, “AmbLEDs: Implicit I/O for AAL Systems,” in Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Interacting with Smart Objects (at ACM IUI 2015), 2015, pp. 6–9.
- J. Müller, F. Alt, D. Michelis, and A. Schmidt, “Requirements and design space for interactive public displays,” in Proceedings of the international conference on Multimedia - MM ’10. New York, New York, USA: ACM Press, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1873951.1874203 p. 1285.
- D. Vogel and R. Balakrishnan, “Interactive public ambient displays,” in Proceedings of the 17th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology - UIST ’04. ACM Press, 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1029632.1029656 p. 137.
- M. Traunmueller and A. Fatah gen. Schieck, “Introducing the space recommender system,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Communities and Technologies - C&T ’13. ACM Press, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2482991.2482995 pp. 149–156.
- S. Foell, G. Kortuem, R. Rawassizadeh, M. Handte, U. Iqbal, and P. Marrón, “Micro-Navigation for Urban Bus Passengers: Using the Internet of Things to Improve the Public Transport Experience,” in Proceedings of the The First International Conference on IoT in Urban Space. ICST, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.4108/icst.urb-iot.2014.257373 pp. 1–6.
- P. M. Kumar, U. Gandhi, R. Varatharajan, G. Manogaran, J. R., and T. Vadivel, “Intelligent face recognition and navigation system using neural learning for smart security in Internet of Things,” Cluster Computing, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-1323-4