Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 293–301 (2019)
Abstract. Image stitching refers to the process of combining multiple images of the same scene to produce a single high-resolution image, known as panorama stitching. The aim of this paper is to produce a high-quality stitched panorama image with less computation time. This is achieved by proposing four combinations of algorithms. First combination includes FAST corner detector, Brute Force K-Nearest Neighbor (KNN) and Random Sample Consensus (RANSAC). Second combination includes FAST, Brute Force (KNN) and Progressive Sample Consensus (PROSAC). Third combination includes ORB, Brute Force (KNN) and RANSAC. Fourth combination contains ORB, Brute Force (KNN) and PROSAC. Next, each combination involves a calculation of Transformation Matrix. The results demonstrated that the fourth combination produced a panoramic image with the highest performance and better quality compared to other combinations. The processing time is reduced by 67\% for the third combination and by 68\% for the fourth combination compared to stat-of-the-art.
- Haque, M.J., “Improved Automatic Panoramic Image Stitching,” Lap Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH KG, 2012
- H. Jeon and J. Jeong and K. Lee, “An implementation of the real-time panoramic image stitching using ORB and P ROSAC,” International SoC Design Conference (ISOCC), 2015, pp. 91–92.
- M. Wang and S. Niu and X. Yang, “A novel panoramic image stitching algorithm based on ORB,” International Conference on Applied System Innovation (ICASI), 2017, pp. 818–821.
- A. Agarwala1 and M. Agrawala and M. Cohen and D. Salesin1 and R. Szeliski, “Photographing long scenes with multi-viewpoint panoramas,” ACM TRAN SACtions on Graphics, 2006, vol. 25, pp. 853–861.
- R. Gupta and R. I. Hartley, “Linear pushbroom cameras,” IEEE TRAN SACtions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1997, vol. 19, pp. 963–975.
- S. Peleg and B. Rousso and A. Rav-Acha and A. Zomet, “Mosaicing on adaptive manifolds,” IEEE TRAN SACtions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2000, vol. 22, pp. 1144–1154.
- A. Zomet and D. Feldman and S. Peleg and D. Weinshall, “Mosaicing new views: the Crossed-Slits projection,” IEEE TRAN SACtions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2003, vol. 25, pp. 741–754.
- M. Agrawala and D. Zorin and T. Munzner, “Artistic Multiprojection Rendering,” Proceedings of the Eurographics Workshop on Rendering Techniques, 2000, pp. 125–136.
- J. Yu and L. Mcmillan, “A Framework for Multiperspective Rendering,” Proceedings of the 15th Eurographics Conference on Rendering Techniques, 2004, pp. 61–68.
- J. Yu and L. Mcmillan, “General Linear Cameras,” Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Computer Vision, 2004, pp. 14–27.
- M. Z. Bonny and M. S. Uddin, “Feature-based image stitching algorithms,” International Workshop on Computational Intelligence (IWCI), 2016, pp. 198–203.
- R. Szeliski and H. Shum, “Creating Full View Panoramic Image Mosaics and Environment Maps,” Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques [ACM Press], 1997, pp. 251–258.
- A. Wójcicka and Z. Wróbel, “The Panoramic Visualization of Metallic Materials in Macro- and Microstructure of Surface Analysis Using Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE),” Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information Technologies in Biomedicine, 2012, pp. 358–368.
- P. Azad and T. Asfour and R. Dillmann, “Combining Harris interest points and the SIFT descriptor for fast scale-invariant object recognition,” International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2009, pp. 4275–4280.
- J. Jiao and B. Zhao and S. Wu, “A speed-up and robust image registration algorithm based on FAST,” IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Automation Engineering, 2011, vol. 4, pp. 160–164.
- L. Yu and Z. Yu and Y. Gong, “An Improved ORB Algorithm of Extracting and Matching Features,” International Journal of Signal Processing and Pattern Recognition, 2015, vol. 8, pp. 117–126.
- E. Rosten and and T. Drummond, “Machine Learning for High-speed Corner Detection,” Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Computer Vision - Volume Part I [Springer-Verlag], 2006, pp. 430–443.
- J.J. Anitha and S.M.Deepa, “Tracking and Recognition of Objects using SURF Descriptor and Harris Corner Detection,” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2014, vol. 4, pp. 775–778.
- K. Dohi and Y. Yorita and Y. Shibata and K. Oguri, “Pattern Compression of FAST Corner Detection for Efficient Hardware Implementation,” 21st International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications, 2011, pp. 478–481.
- E. Rublee and V. Rabaud and K. Konolige and G. Bradski, “ORB: An efficient alternative to SIFT or SURF,” International Conference on Computer Vision, 2011, pp. 2564–2571.
- M. Brown and D.G. Lowe, “Automatic Panoramic Image Stitching using Invariant Features,” International Journal of Computer Vision, 2007, vol. 74, pp. 59–73.
- C. Harris and M. Stephens, “A Combined Corner and Edge Detector,” Proceedings of the 4th Alvey Vision Conference, 1988, pp. 147–151.
- S. Leutenegger and M. Chli and R. Y. Siegwart, “BRISK: Binary Robust invariant scalable keypoints,” International Conference on Computer Vision, 2011, pp. 2548–2555.
- A. S. Arefin and C. Riveros and R. Berretta and P. Moscato, “GPU-FS-KN N : A Software Tool for Fast and Scalable KN N Computation Using GPUs,” PloS one, 2012, vol. 7, pp. e44000.
- J. S. Beis and D. G. Lowe, “Shape indexing using approximate nearest-neighbour search in high-dimensional spaces,” Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 1997, pp. 1000–1006.
- O. Chum and J. Matas, “Matching with P ROSAC - progressive sample consensus,” IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’05), 2005, vol. 1, pp. 220–226.
- P. Ostiak, “Implementation of HDR panorama stitching algorithm,” 10th Central European Seminar on Computer Graphics for Students (CESCG), 2006.
- C.Y. Chen and R. Klette, “Image Stitching — Comparisons and New Techniques,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1999, vol. 1689, pp. 615–622.
- P. Ndajah and H. Kikuchi and M. Yukawa and H. Watanabe and S. Muramatsu, “An investigation on the quality of denoised images,” International Journal of Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 2011, vol. 5, pp. 423–434.