Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 685–692 (2019)
Abstract. Industrial symbiosis is a favored approach to balancing industry's economic growth and its environmental impact on a regional scale. Although the scientific literature reports a multitude of examples of industrial symbiosis around the world, this approach and its related concepts are not considered to be widespread in practice, due to various barriers. Information and management barriers are seen as significant obstacles to industrial symbiosis; however, they have not been adequately investigated yet. Empirical research capturing the perception of industrial actors is lacking. This applies especially to information and communication technology designed to reduce informational barriers. Therefore, in this research-in-progress paper, we will first examine these aspects by discussing related publications. In the second step, we develop a study design involving an online questionnaire to examine the extent of managerial and informational barriers that prevent industrial symbiosis as well as the perception of corresponding technological support.
- M. R. Chertow, “Industrial symbiosis: Literature and Taxonomy,” Annual Review of Energy and the Environment, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 313–337, Nov. 2000.
- D. R. Lombardi and P. Laybourn, “Redefining Industrial Symbiosis,” JIE, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 28–37, Feb. 2012.
- E. A. Lowe and L. K. Evans, “Industrial ecology and industrial ecosystems,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 3, no. 1–2, pp. 47–53, Jan. 1995.
- H.-S. Park, E. R. Rene, S.-M. Choi, and A. S. F. Chiu, “Strategies for sustainable development of industrial park in Ulsan, South Korea— From spontaneous evolution to systematic expansion of industrial symbiosis,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 1–13, Apr. 2008.
- D. Sakr, L. Baas, S. El-Haggar, and D. Huisingh, “Critical success and limiting factors for eco-industrial parks: global trends and Egyptian context,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1158–1169, Jul. 2011.
- A. Golev, G. D. Corder, and D. P. Giurco, “Barriers to Industrial Symbiosis: Insights from the Use of a Maturity Grid,” Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 141–153, Feb. 2015.
- R. Lombardi, “Non-technical barriers to (and drivers for) the circular economy through industrial symbiosis: A practical input,” Economics And Policy Of Energy And The Environment, Feb. 2017.
- G. B. Grant, T. P. Seager, G. Massard, and L. Nies, “Information and Communication Technology for Industrial Symbiosis,” JIE, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 740–753, Oct. 2010.
- G. van Capelleveen, C. Amrit, and D. M. Yazan, “A Literature Survey of Information Systems Facilitating the Identification of Industrial Symbiosis,” in From Science to Society, P. Hitzelberger, S. Naumann, V. Wohlgemuth, and B. Otjacques, Eds. Springer, Cham, 2018, pp. 155–169.
- A. Maqbool, F. Mendez Alva, and G. Van Eetvelde, “An Assessment of European Information Technology Tools to Support Industrial Symbiosis,” Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 131, Dec. 2018.
- D. Gibbs and P. Deutz, “Reflections on implementing industrial ecology through eco-industrial park development,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 1683–1695, Nov. 2007.
- E. Susur, A. Hidalgo, and D. Chiaroni, “A strategic niche management perspective on transitions to eco-industrial park development: A systematic review of case studies,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 140, pp. 338–359, Jan. 2019.
- M. Chertow and J. Park, “Scholarship and Practice in Industrial Symbiosis: 1989–2014,” in Taking Stock of Industrial Ecology, Springer, Cham, 2016, pp. 87–116.
- S. Menato, S. Carimati, E. Montini, P. Innocenti, L. Canetta, and M. Sorlini, “Challenges for the adoption of industrial symbiosis approaches within industrial agglomerations,” in 2017 International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC), Funchal, 2017, pp. 1293–1299.
- I. Siskos and L. N. V. Wassenhove, “Synergy Management Services Companies: A New Business Model for Industrial Park Operators,” Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 802–814, Aug. 2017.
- L. R. Bacudio et al., “Analyzing barriers to implementing industrial symbiosis networks using DEMATEL,” Sustainable Production and Consumption, vol. 7, pp. 57–65, Jul. 2016.
- M. A. B. Promentilla et al., “Problematique approach to analyse barriers in implementing industrial ecology in philippine industrial parks,” Chemical Engineering Transactions, vol. 52, pp. 811–816, 2016.
- D. Ceglia, M. C. S. de Abreu, and J. C. L. Da Silva Filho, “Critical elements for eco-retrofitting a conventional industrial park: Social barriers to be overcome,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 187, pp. 375–383, Feb. 2017.
- U. Fric and B. Rončević, “E-Simbioza – Leading the Way to a Circular Economy through Industrial Symbiosis in Slovenia,” SocEkol, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 119–140, 2018.
- M. Kurdve, C. Jönsson, and A.-S. Granzell, “Development of the urban and industrial symbiosis in western Mälardalen,” in Procedia CIRP, 2018, vol. 73, pp. 96–101.
- M. Ormazabal, V. Prieto-Sandoval, R. Puga-Leal, and C. Jaca, “Circular Economy in Spanish SMEs: Challenges and opportunities,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 185, pp. 157–167, Jun. 2018.
- T. Domenech, R. Bleischwitz, A. Doranova, D. Panayotopoulos, and L. Roman, “Mapping Industrial Symbiosis Development in Europe_ typologies of networks, characteristics, performance and contribution to the Circular Economy,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 141, pp. 76–98, Feb. 2019.
- L. Kosmol, “Sharing is Caring - Information and Knowledge in Industrial Symbiosis: A Systematic Review,” presented at the Conference on Business Informatics, Moscow, Russia, 2019.
- M. R. Chertow, “‘Uncovering’ industrial symbiosis,” JIE, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 11–30, 2007.
- G. Massard and S. Erkman, “A regional Industrial Symbiosis methodology and its implementation in Geneva, Switzerland,” 2007.
- L. Fraccascia, M. Mango, and V. Albino, “Business models for industrial symbiosis: a guide for firms,” in Procedia Environmental Science, Engineering and Management, Italy, 2016, vol. 3, pp. 83–93.
- F. Boons, W. Spekkink, and Y. Mouzakitis, “The dynamics of industrial symbiosis: a proposal for a conceptual framework based upon a comprehensive literature review,” JCP, vol. 19, no. 9–10, pp. 905–911, 2011.
- M. R. Ghali, J.-M. Frayret, and J.-M. Robert, “Green social networking: Concept and potential applications to initiate industrial synergies,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 115, pp. 23–35, 2016.
- L. Fraccascia and D. M. Yazan, “The role of online information-sharing platforms on the performance of industrial symbiosis networks,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 136, pp. 473–485, 2018.
- L. Kosmol and W. Esswein, “Capturing the Complexity of Industrial Symbiosis,” in Advances and New Trends in Environmental Informatics, H.-J. Bungartz, D. Kranzlmüller, V. Weinberg, J. Weismüller, and V. Wohlgemuth, Eds. Springer International Publishing, 2018, pp. 183–197.
- M. Benedict, L. Kosmol, and W. Esswein, “Designing Industrial Symbiosis Platforms – from Platform Ecosystems to Industrial Ecosystems,” in PACIS 2018, Yokohama, Japan, 2018, pp. 26–30.
- F. A. Halstenberg, K. Lindow, and R. Stark, “Utilization of Product Lifecycle Data from PLM Systems in Platforms for Industrial Symbiosis,” Procedia Manufacturing, vol. 8, pp. 369–376, Jan. 2017.
- K. Peffers, T. Tuunanen, M. A. Rothenberger, and S. Chatterjee, “A Design Science Research Methodology for Information Systems
- Research,” Journal of Management Information Systems, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 45–77, Dec. 2007.
- D. C. A. Pigosso, A. Schmiegelow, and M. M. Andersen, “Measuring the Readiness of SMEs for Eco-Innovation and Industrial Symbiosis: Development of a Screening Tool,” Sustainability, vol. 10, no. 8, p. 2861, Aug. 2018.
- F. Cecelja et al., “e-Symbiosis: technology-enabled support for Industrial Symbiosis targeting Small and Medium Enterprises and innovation,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 98, pp. 336–352, Jul. 2015.