Citation: Communication Papers of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 20, pages 133–141 (2019)
Abstract. Poor software quality due to failure to organize development processes using SPI is visible in small software companies, although these companies are significant to industry and world economy; the challenge of quality needs much more attention. The development of different frameworks to sort the development process in SSC continues to leave a lot to be desired. This work leads us to the development of a comparison framework which will ultimately end with an adaptable SPA and SPI framework for SSC. From a SLR to identify the factors affecting SSC and mapping them to the specific processes in which they occur, we analyze the software development environment and identify SPI frameworks that have registered success in similar environments of SSC to help us adopt best practices from which comparison is made to generate requirements for an adaptable SPI framework within context for small companies.
- M. Zarour, J.-M. Desharnais, and A. Abran, "A framework to compare SPAt methods dedicated to small and very small organizations," International Conference on Software Quality- ICSQ, 2007, pp. 16-17.
- C. P. Halvorsen and R. Conradi, "A taxonomy to compare SPI frameworks," European Workshop on Software Process Technology, 2001, pp. 217-235. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3- 540-45752-6_17
- A. M. AL-Ashmori, B. B. Rad, and I. Suhaimi, "SPI frameworks as alternative of CMMI for SMEs: a literature review," Journal of SE, vol. 11, pp. 123-133, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/jse.2017.123.133
- M. N. Khokhar, A. Mansoor, K. Muhammad Nadeem, R. Shafiq Ur, and A. Rauf, "MECA: SPI for small organizations," International Conference on Information and Emerging Technologies, 2010, pp. 1-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/iciet.2010.5625678
- A. A. Khan, J. Keung, M. Niazi, S. Hussain, and M. Shameem, "GSEPIM: A roadmap for SPA and SPI in the domain of global software development," Journal of software: Evolution and Process, vol. 31, p. e1988, 2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smr.1988
- R. Anacleto, C. G. Von Wangenheim, C. F. Salviano, R. Savi, S. Brasil, and C. S. Brasil, "A method for process assessment in small software companies," 2004.
- C. G. von Wangenheim, A. Anacleto, and C. F. Salviano, "Mares-a methodology for software process assessment in small software companies," Technical Report LPQS0012004.
- X. Larrucea, R. V. O'Connor, R. Colomo-Palacios, and C. Y. Laporte, "Software process improvement in very small organizations," IEEE Software, vol. 33, pp. 85-89, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/ms.2016.42
- T. Tahir, G. Rasool, and M. Noman, "A systematic mapping study on software measurement programs in SMEs," e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal, vol. 12, 2018. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/icacs.2018.8333491
- C. Y. Laporte, J.-M. Desharnais, M. M. Abouelfattah, J.-C. Bamba, A. Renault, and N. Habra, "Initiating SPI in Small Enterprises: Experiments with CETIC’s Micro-Evaluation Framework," International Conference on Software Development (SWDCREK 2005) Reykjavik, Iceland, 2005.
- E. Mnkandla, "About software engineering frameworks and methodologies," in AFRICON 2009, 2009, pp. 1-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/afrcon.2009.5308117
- J. Nakatumba-Nabende, B. Kanagwa, R. Hebig, R. Heldal, and E. Knauss, "Hybrid Software and Systems Development in Practice: Perspectives from Sweden and Uganda," International Conference on Product-Focused SPI, 2017, pp. 413-419. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69926-4_30
- M. O. Tingey, Comparing ISO 9000, Malcolm Balbridge, and the SEI CMM for Software: A Reference and Selection Guide: Prentice Hall PTR, 1996.
- C. Y. Laporte, S. Alexandre, and R. V. O’Connor, "A software engineering lifecycle standard for very small enterprises," European Conference on SPI, 2008, pp. 129-141. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-85936-9_12
- F. McCaffery, D. McFall, and F. G. Wilkie, "Improving the express process appraisal method," International Conference on Product Focused SPI, 2005, pp. 286-298. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1007/11497455_24
- M. C. Paulk, "How ISO 9001 compares with the CMM," IEEE software, vol. 12, pp. 74-83, 1995. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/52.363163
- K. E. Emam, W. Melo, and J.-N. Drouin, SPICE: The theory and practice of SPI and capability determination: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997.
- M. Tuape and Y. Ayalew "Factors affecting development process in small software companies," IEEE/ACM Symposium on Software Engineering in Africa (SEiA) 2019. pp. 16-25 http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SEiA.2019.00011
- M. E. Morales-Trujillo, H. Oktaba, T. Ventura, and R. Torres, "From MoProSoft Level 2 to ISO/IEC 29110 Basic Profile: Bridging the Gap," Clei Electronic Journal, vol. 16, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.19153/cleiej.16.1.2
- V. Ribaud and P. Saliou, "Process assessment issues of the ISO/IEC 29110 emerging standard," in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Product Focused Software, 2010, pp. 24-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1961258.1961264
- C. G. von Wangenheim, A. Anacleto, and C. F. Salviano, "Helping small companies assess software processes," IEEE software, vol. 23, pp. 91-98, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ms.2006.13
- F. J. Pino, C. Pardo, F. García, and M. Piattini, "Assessment methodology for SPI in small organizations," Information and Software Technology, vol. 52, pp. 1044-1061, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2010.04.004
- R. Z. R. M. Ali and S. Ibrahim, "An application tool to support the implementation of integrated SPIt for Malaysia's SME," Malaysian Conference in Software Engineering, 2011, pp. 177- 182. https://doi.org/10.1109/mysec.2011.6140665
- R. Ali and S. Ibrahim, "An Integrated SPA for Malaysia's SME," Postgraduate Annual Research Seminar (PARS) in UTM Skudai, 2009.
- R. Zurina, R. M. Ali, and S. Ibrahim, "An iSPA model evaluation based on critical success factors and selected criteria to support Malaysia's SME environment," 2nd International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Mining, 2010, pp. 225-230.
- A. Cater-Steel, M. Toleman, and T. Rout, "Process improvement for small firms: An evaluation of the RAPID assessment-based method," Information and Software Technology, vol. 48, pp. 323-334, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2005.09.012
- T. P. Rout, "ISO/IEC 15504 and Spice," Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/0471028959.sof171
- T. Rout, "Evolving SPICE–the Future for ISO 15504," 1st International Conference on SPI and Capability Determination, Limmerick, Ireland, 2000, pp. 1-8.
- H. Oktaba and M. Piattini, "SPI for Small and Medium Enterprises: Techniques and Case Studies," 2008. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-59904-906-9
- E. Klotins, M. Unterkalmsteiner, and T. Gorschek, "Software engineering in start-up companies: An analysis of 88 experience reports," Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 24, pp. 68-102, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10664-018-9620-y
- T. Dybå, "Enabling SPIt: an investigation of the importance of organizational issues," Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 387-390, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1020535725648
- C. Ferreira and J. Cohen, "Agile systems development and stakeholder satisfaction: a South African empirical study," South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists on IT research in developing countries: riding the wave of technology, 2008, pp. 48-55. https://doi.org/10.1145/1456659.1456666
- B. De Wet and J. Visser, "An evaluation of software project risk management in South Africa," South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, vol. 24, pp. 14-29, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7166/24-1-497
- E. Kabaale, G. Mayoka Kituyi, and I. Mbarika, "Requirements engineering process improvement challenges faced by software SMEs in Uganda," 2014. https://doi.org/10.5120/15349-3690
- J. K. Balikuddembe and M. Tuape, "An Ambiguity Minimization Technique during Requirements Elicitation Phase," International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI), 2017, pp. 945-950 https://doi.org/10.1109/csci.2017.164.
- Y. Ayalew and K. Motlhala, "Software Process Practices in Small Software Companies in Botswana," 14th International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications, 2014, pp. 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccsa.2014.20
- A. A. Khan, J. Keung, S. Hussain, M. Niazi, and M. M. I. Tamimy, "Understanding SPIt in global software development: a theoretical framework of human factors," ACM SIGAPP Applied Computing Review, vol. 17, pp. 5-15, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1145/3131080.3131081
- V. Garousi, M. Felderer, and T. Hacaloğlu, "What we know about software test maturity and test process improvement," IEEE Software, vol. 35, pp. 84-92, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ms.2017.4541043
- C. G. v. Wangenheim, A. Anacleto, and C. F. Salviano, "Helping small companies assess software processes," IEEE Software, vol. 23, pp. 91-98, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ms.2006.13
- A. P. Cater-Steel, "Process improvement in four small software companies," Australian Software Engineering Conference, 2001, pp. 262-272. https://doi.org/10.1109/aswec.2001.948520
- M. Staples and M. Niazi, "Two case studies on small enterprise motivation and readiness for CMMI," 11th International Conference on Product Focused Software, Limerick, Ireland, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1145/1961258.1961274