Citation: Proceedings of the 2020 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 21, pages 129–136 (2020)
Abstract. Image captioning is the process of generating a textual description that best fits the image scene. It is one of the most important tasks in computer vision and natural language processing and has the potential to improve many applications in robotics, assistive technologies, storytelling, medical imaging and more. This paper aims to analyse different encoder-decoder architectures for dense image caption generation while focusing on the text generation component. Already trained models for image feature generation are utilized with transfer learning. These features are used for describing the regions using three different models for text generation. We propose three deep learning architectures for generating one-sentence captions of Regions of Interest (RoIs). The proposed architectures reflect several ways of integrating features from images and text. The proposed models were evaluated and compared with several metrics for natural language generation.
- T. Yao, Y. Pan, Y. Li, and T. Mei, “Exploring visual relationship for image captioning,” in Proceedings of the European conference on computer vision (ECCV), 2018, pp. 684–699.
- H. Hu, J. Gu, Z. Zhang, J. Dai, and Y. Wei, “Relation networks for object detection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2018, pp. 3588–3597.
- S. Herdade, A. Kappeler, K. Boakye, and J. Soares, “Image captioning: Transforming objects into words,” in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2019, pp. 11 135–11 145.
- M. Hossain, F. Sohel, M. F. Shiratuddin, and H. Laga, “A comprehensive survey of deep learning for image captioning,” ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), vol. 51, no. 6, p. 118, 2019.
- W. Hechun and Z. Xiaohong, “Survey of deep learning based object detection,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Big Data Technologies, 2019, pp. 149–153.
- R. Girshick, J. Donahue, T. Darrell, and J. Malik, “Rich feature hierarchies for accurate object detection and semantic segmentation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2014, pp. 580–587.
- R. Girshick, “Fast r-cnn,” in Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision, 2015, pp. 1440–1448.
- S. Ren, K. He, R. Girshick, and J. Sun, “Faster r-cnn: Towards real-time object detection with region proposal networks,” in Advances in neural information processing systems, 2015, pp. 91–99.
- K. He, G. Gkioxari, P. Dollár, and R. Girshick, “Mask r-cnn,” in Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision, 2017, pp. 2961–2969.
- K. Simonyan and A. Zisserman, “Very deep convolutional networks for large-scale image recognition,” CoRR, 2014.
- Z.-Q. Zhao, P. Zheng, S.-t. Xu, and X. Wu, “Object detection with deep learning: A review,” IEEE transactions on neural networks and learning systems, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 3212–3232, 2019.
- O. Vinyals, A. Toshev, S. Bengio, and D. Erhan, “Show and tell: A neural image caption generator,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2015, pp. 3156–3164.
- K. Xu, J. Ba, R. Kiros, K. Cho, A. Courville, R. Salakhudinov, R. Zemel, and Y. Bengio, “Show, attend and tell: Neural image caption generation with visual attention,” in International conference on machine learning, 2015, pp. 2048–2057.
- Q. You, H. Jin, Z. Wang, C. Fang, and J. Luo, “Image captioning with semantic attention,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2016, pp. 4651–4659.
- Z. Yang, Y.-J. Zhang, S. ur Rehman, and Y. Huang, “Image captioning with object detection and localization,” in International Conference on Image and Graphics. Springer, 2017, pp. 109–118.
- X. Zhu, L. Li, J. Liu, H. Peng, and X. Niu, “Captioning transformer with stacked attention modules,” Applied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 5, p. 739, 2018.
- J. Yu, J. Li, Z. Yu, and Q. Huang, “Multimodal transformer with multi-view visual representation for image captioning,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2019.
- S. He, W. Liao, H. R. Tavakoli, M. Yang, B. Rosenhahn, and N. Pugeault, “Image captioning through image transformer,” CoRR, 2020.
- A. Vaswani, N. Shazeer, N. Parmar, J. Uszkoreit, L. Jones, A. N. Gomez, Ł. Kaiser, and I. Polosukhin, “Attention is all you need,” in Advances in neural information processing systems, 2017, pp. 5998–6008.
- S. Xie, R. Girshick, P. Dollár, Z. Tu, and K. He, “Aggregated residual transformations for deep neural networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2017, pp. 1492–1500.
- J. Johnson, A. Karpathy, and L. Fei-Fei, “Densecap: Fully convolutional localization networks for dense captioning,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2016, pp. 4565–4574.
- L. Yang, K. Tang, J. Yang, and L.-J. Li, “Dense captioning with joint inference and visual context,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2017, pp. 2193–2202.
- A. Karpathy and L. Fei-Fei, “Deep visual-semantic alignments for generating image descriptions,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2015, pp. 3128–3137.
- G. Yin, L. Sheng, B. Liu, N. Yu, X. Wang, and J. Shao, “Context and attribute grounded dense captioning,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2019, pp. 6241–6250.
- X. Li, S. Jiang, and J. Han, “Learning object context for dense captioning,” in Proceedings of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, vol. 33, 2019, pp. 8650–8657.
- X. Jia, E. Gavves, B. Fernando, and T. Tuytelaars, “Guiding the long-short term memory model for image caption generation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision, 2015, pp. 2407–2415.
- R. Krishna, Y. Zhu, O. Groth, J. Johnson, K. Hata, J. Kravitz, S. Chen, Y. Kalantidis, L.-J. Li, D. A. Shamma et al., “Visual genome: Connecting language and vision using crowdsourced dense image annotations,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 32–73, 2017.
- T.-Y. Lin, M. Maire, S. Belongie, J. Hays, P. Perona, D. Ramanan, P. Dollár, and C. L. Zitnick, “Microsoft coco: Common objects in context,” in European conference on computer vision. Springer, 2014, pp. 740–755.
- K. He, X. Zhang, S. Ren, and J. Sun, “Deep residual learning for image recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2016, pp. 770–778.
- T.-Y. Lin, P. Dollár, R. Girshick, K. He, B. Hariharan, and S. Belongie, “Feature pyramid networks for object detection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2017, pp. 2117–2125.
- M. Tanti, A. Gatt, and K. P. Camilleri, “What is the role of recurrent neural networks (rnns) in an image caption generator?” in The 10th International Natural Language Generation conference, vol. abs/1708.02043, 2017, p. 51. [Online]. Available: http://arxiv.org/abs/1708.02043
- R. Bernardi, R. Cakici, D. Elliott, A. Erdem, E. Erdem, N. Ikizler-Cinbis, F. Keller, A. Muscat, and B. Plank, “Automatic description generation from images: A survey of models, datasets, and evaluation measures,” Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, vol. 55, pp. 409–442, 2016.
- M. Denkowski and A. Lavie, “Meteor universal: Language specific translation evaluation for any target language,” in Proceedings of the ninth workshop on statistical machine translation, 2014, pp. 376–380.
- K. Papineni, S. Roukos, T. Ward, and W.-J. Zhu, “Bleu: a method for automatic evaluation of machine translation,” in Proceedings of the 40th annual meeting on association for computational linguistics. Association for Computational Linguistics, 2002, pp. 311–318.
- C.-Y. Lin, “Rouge: A package for automatic evaluation of summaries,” Text Summarization Branches Out, 2004.
- R. Vedantam, C. Lawrence Zitnick, and D. Parikh, “Cider: Consensus-based image description evaluation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2015, pp. 4566–4575.
- P. Anderson, B. Fernando, M. Johnson, and S. Gould, “Spice: Semantic propositional image caption evaluation,” in European Conference on Computer Vision. Springer, 2016, pp. 382–398.
- J. Pennington, R. Socher, and C. Manning, “Glove: Global vectors for word representation,” in Proceedings of the 2014 conference on empirical methods in natural language processing (EMNLP), 2014, pp. 1532–1543.
- D. P. Kingma and J. Ba, “Adam: A method for stochastic optimization,” CoRR, vol. abs/1412.6980, 2014.
- H. Chen, H. Zhang, P.-Y. Chen, J. Yi, and C.-J. Hsieh, “Attacking visual language grounding with adversarial examples: A case study on neural image captioning,” in Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 1: Long Papers). Melbourne, Australia: Association for Computational Linguistics, Jul. 2018, pp. 2587–2597. [Online]. Available: https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P18-1241