Citation: Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Shivani Agarwal, Darrell Norman Burrell, Vijender Kumar Solanki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 24, pages 131–136 (2020)
Abstract. Any successful communication is governed by some set of rules to manage the flow control of the transmitted data. One such protocol is High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) which is a bit-oriented protocol used for communication over the point to point or multipoint links. Residing in the data link layer (layer 2) of Open System Interconnection (OSI), this protocol transmits data in frames. HDLC can be used for detecting the errors in the data which are induced during the transmission from sender to receiver. This paper focuses on not only detecting the error but also correcting it by using Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC). Cyclic codes are a special type of linear Block Codes in which one codeword can be cyclically shifted to obtain another codeword. The CRC generator is modulo-2 added with the data in the information frame of HDLC and the remainder is obtained. When this data is sent over any transmission channel, there are high chances of data being erroneous due to interference of unrequired signals in the channel. When data reaches the receiver end, a similar modulo-2 addition is carried to obtain another remainder. This remainder is compared with the remainder transmitted by the sender. The two compared remainders detect the location of the error bit which is corrected by flipping that specific bit. This reduces the need for Automatic Repeat Request (ARQ) mechanisms to obtain the correct information as the data can be self-corrected at the receiver end.
- Jatinder Singh and Jaget Singh,“A comparative study of error detection and coding technqiues”, International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication Technologies, Jan 2012
- Ku. Rupal P. Bende, A.P. Bagade, S.R, Salwe,“Review on Design of HDLC Protocol using HDL”, IJIREEICE, Vol 4, Feb 2016
- K. Sakthidasan, Mohammed, “Design of HDLC Controller Using VHDL”, Internation Journal of scientific and engineering research, Vol 2, March 2011
- Sarika G. Joshi, Vaishali S. Dhongde, “HDLC Protocol Implementation Using VHDL”, IJIRSET, Vol 3, April 2014
- Priyanka Mishra, “Study and Performance Evaluation of Xilinx HDLC Controller and FCS Calculator”, IOSR Journal of Engineering, Nov 2012
- Kshitij S. Patil, G.D. Salunke, Bhavana L. Mahajan, A.S.Hiwale, “Implementation of HDLC Protocol Using FGPA”, International Journal of Engineering Science anf Advanced Technology, Vol-2 , 2013
- Gaurav Chandil, Priyanka Mishra, “Design and Implementaion of HDLC Controller Using CRC-16”, IJMER Vol. 3 , 2012.
- V.M. Ramaa Priyaa, “Error Detection and Correction In Encoder and Decoder for Nanmemory”, IJAREEIE, Vol 2, June 2013
- Narinder Pal Singh, Sukhjit Singh, “RAM Error Detection and Correction using HVD implementation”, European Scientific Journal , Nov 2013
- Mostafa Kishani, Hamid R. Zarandi, Hossein Pedram, Alireza Tajary, Mohsen Raji, Behnam Ghavami, “HVD: horizontalvertical-diagonal error detecting and correcting code to protect against with soft errors", Design Automation for embedded systems, April 2011
- Shubham Fadnavis, “An HVD based error detection and correction code in HDLC Protocol used for communication”, IJARCCE, Vol 2, Issue 6, 2013
- Anil Kumar Singh, “Error Detection and correction by hamming code”, ICGTSPICC, June 2017
- Robbi Rahim, “Bit Error Detection and Correction with Hamming Code Algorithm”, IJSRSET, Vol. 3, 2017.
- Varinder Singh and Narinder Sharma,“Improving Performance Parameters of Error Detection and Correction in HDLC Protocol by using Hamming Method”, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol 12, Sept 2015
- Michael O. Ezea, “Performance Analysis of CRC Error detection technqiue in the Wireless Sensor Network”, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol-7, June 2020.
- Giuliano Benelli,“ARQ Protocols for High Efficieny Digital Communication Systems”, IETE Journal of Research, June 2015
- Pramod S P, Akshay S kotain, Rajagopal A, “FPGA implementation of one and two bit error correction using CRC”, International conference on recent trends in computer science and engineering 2012.