Citation: Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Shivani Agarwal, Darrell Norman Burrell, Vijender Kumar Solanki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 24, pages 87–90 (2020)
Abstract. In today's world doing data transfer in delay tolerant networks (DTN) environment is a challenging task. In DTN nodes are characterized to meet opportunistically to do routing and data transfer. In opportunistic environment no end-to-end path exists between destination and source. The contacts are made opportunistic while coming in contact for a short span of time. All communication is within this span only. Due to this feature the DTN's are sometimes recognized as Opportunistic Networks (ON's). The rules are not predefined here for choosing the next node as applicable in conventional schemes of routing. In this paper the performance of opportunistic routing protocols have been investigated namely PRoPHET, Spray and Wait, SimBet, Bubble Rap in terms of robustness and scalability. The concept of Ant Colony Optimization is used to find optimal routes while doing routing decision. The performance of SimBet and Bubble Rap is better with respect to throughput as they belong to social context aware category of protocols. Performance is evaluated in terms of packet dropped and overhead ratio also. The overhead ratio is better in SimBet and Bubble Rap as compared to Spray and Wait and PRoPHET. Depending on buffer size, speed, contact times these routing strategies shows variable performance. The result indicates that the social aware algorithms have the ability and capacity to exchange/carry information faster and improve the connectivity in ON's.
- Chung-Ming Huang, Kun-chan Lan, “A Survey of Opportunistic Networks”, 22nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, March 2008.
- Kevin Fall, “A Delay-Tolerant Network Architecture for Challenged Internets” SIGCOMM’03, August 25-29, 2003, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Opportunistic Networks: Present Scenario-A Mirror Review, Article (PDF Available) in International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security 10(1) · April 2018.
- Vahdat, A., & Becker, D. (2000), Epidemic routing for partially connected ad hoc networks.
- A. Lindgren, A. Doria, and O. Schelen, “Probabilistic routing in intermittently connected networks. SIGMOBILE Mob,” Comput. Commun. Rev. vol. 7, no. 3, 2003.
- T. Spyropoulos, K. Psounis and C. S. Raghavendra, “Spray and wait: an efficient routing scheme for intermittently connected mobile networks”, In WDTN’05: Proceedings of the 2005 ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Delay-tolerant networking, 2005.
- P. Hui, J. Crowcroft and E. Yoneki, “Bubble Rap: Social based Forwarding in Delay Tolerant Networks,” Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad hoc Networking and Computing, Hong Kong, China, May 2008.
- M Shah et.al., “An Improved SimBet Routing Algorithm for Human Mobility based DTN”, Kalpa Publications in Computing Volume 2, 2017, Pages 166–176.
- A. Ker Anen, “Opportunistic network environment simulator. Special assignment report, Helsinki university of technology,” Department of Communications and Networking, May 2008.
- Marco Dorigo, Luca Maria Gambardella, “Ant colony system: A cooperative learning approach to the traveling salesman problem” IEEE transaction on evolutionary computation, vol. 1, No. 1, April 1997.
- DongKai Fan, Ping Shi, “Improvement of Dijkstra’s Algorithm and Its Application in Route Planning”, Seventh International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, 2010.
- Payal Jhadhav, Prof. Rachna Sarao, “A Survey on Opportunistic Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks”, Procedia Computer Science 79(2016), 603-609.
- Hajer Ben Gradz et.al, “Opportunistic Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Wireless Personal Communications, 104, (921-933), 2019.
- Taku Yamazaki et.al, “Ant-inspired Backoff-based Opportunistic Routing for Ad Hoc Networks”, 2019 20th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium (APNOMS), Sep 2019.
- S.Harikhore et.al.’ “Ant colony optimization based energy efficiency for improving opportunistic routing in multimedia wireless mesh network”, December 2019, Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science 16(3):1371
- Raghu Ramamoorthy, Menakadevi Thangavelu, “An improved distance‐based ant colony optimization routing for vehicular ad hoc networks”, International Journal of Communication Systems, June 2020.