Smartphone-Based Color Measurement of Tooth Shade Guide in Clinical Lighting Conditions
Agnieszka Radziun, Rafał Doniec, Szymon Sieciński, Natalia Piaseczna, Katarzyna Mocny-Pachońska, Marta Cieślik-Wegemund, Konrad Duraj, Marta Tanasiewicz, Ewaryst Tkacz
Citation: Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Computer Science and Intelligence Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki, D. Ślęzak (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 25, pages 409–413 (2021)
Abstract. Caries is a common disease of hard tissues of teeth which results in dental cavities, which are usually replaced by dental filling. Matching the color of a dental filling is usually a subjective assessment. In this study we conducted a color analysis of GC Gradia Direct shade guide in the lighting conditions of the dental office. Color measurement was performed using Color Grab mobile app and the results were acquired as values of RGB and HSV values. The results indicate the possibility of identifying each shade of tooth by the most prominent changes in RGB, and/or HSV components.
- H. Silk, “Diseases of the mouth,” Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 75 – 90, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pop.2013.10.011 Primary Care ENT.
- O. Osadcha, A. Trzcionka, K. Pachońska, and M. Pachoński, “Detection of dental filling using pixels color recognition,” in Information and Software Technologies, R. Damaševičius and G. Vasiljevienė, Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99972-2_28. ISBN 978-3-319-99972-2 pp. 347–356.
- L. Bjørndal, S. Simon, P. L. Tomson, and H. F. Duncan, “Management of deep caries and the exposed pulp,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 949–973, 2019. http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1111/iej.13128
- D. Bratthall, P. E. Petersen, J. R. Stjernswärd, and L. J. Brown, “Oral and craniofacial diseases and disorders,” in Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd ed., D. T. Jamison, J. G. Joel G Breman, A. R. Measham, G. Alleyne, M. Claeson, D. B. Evans, P. Jha, A. M. Mills, and P. Musgrove, Eds. World Bank, Washington (DC), 2006, ch. 38, pp. 723–736. ISBN 0821361791. [Online]. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11725/
- “GC Gradia Direct light-cured composite restorative clinical guide,” accessed 21 March 2021. [Online]. Available: https://cdn.gceurope.com/v1/PID/gradiadirect/manual/MAN_Gradia_Direct_Clinical_Guide_en.pdf
- A. Watts and M. Addy, “Tooth discolouration and staining: a review of the literature,” British Dental Journal, vol. 190, no. 6, pp. 309–316, March 2001. http://dx.doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4800959
- A. Joiner, “Tooth colour: a review of the literature,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 32, pp. 3–12, 2004. http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2003.10.013 Advances in tooth whitening: A new, simple and effective solution.
- K. W. Aschheim and B. A. Singer, “Fundamentals of esthetics and smile analysis,” in Esthetic Dentistry. Elsevier, 2015, pp. 38–54.
- L. Miller, “Organizing color in dentistry,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 115, pp. 26E–40E, Dec. 1987. https://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1987.0315
- T. A. Germer, J. C. Zwinkels, and B. K. Tsai, “Chapter 1 - introduction,” in Spectrophotometry, ser. Experimental Methods in the Physical Sciences, T. A. Germer, J. C. Zwinkels, and B. K. Tsai, Eds. Academic Press, 2014, vol. 46, pp. 1–9.
- C. Igiel, M. Weyrauch, S. Wentaschek, H. Scheller, and K. M. Lehmann, “Dental color matching: A comparison between visual and instrumental methods,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2015-006
- J. C. Ragain, “A review of color science in dentistry: Colorimetry and color space,” Journal of Dentistry, Oral Disorders & Therapy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 01–05, Jan. 2016. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.15226/jdodt.2016.00148
- J.-Y. Chang, W.-C. Chen, T.-K. Huang, J.-C. Wang, P.-S. Fu, J.-H. Chen, and C.-C. Hung, “Evaluation of the accuracy and limitations of three tooth-color measuring machines,” Journal of Dental Sciences, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 16–20, Mar. 2015. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jds.2013.04.004
- M. H. Kalantari, S. A. Ghoraishian, and M. Mohaghegh, “Evaluation of accuracy of shade selection using two spectrophotometer systems: Vita Easyshade and Degudent Shadepilot,” European Journal of Dentistry, vol. 11, no. 02, pp. 196–200, Apr. 2017. https://dx.doi.org/10.4103/ejd.ejd_195_16
- S. D. Kim, Y. Koo, and Y. Yun, “A smartphone-based automatic measurement method for colorimetric pH detection using a color adaptation algorithm,” Sensors, vol. 17, no. 7, p. 1604, Jul 2017. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/s17071604
- M. K. Hasan, M. Haque, N. Sakib, R. Love, and S. I. Ahamed, “Smartphone-based human hemoglobin level measurement analyzing pixel intensity of a fingertip video on different color spaces,” Smart Health, vol. 5-6, pp. 26–39, Jan. 2018. http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smhl.2017.11.003
- Waldau Webdesign, “Lux light meter,” Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.waldau_webdesign.lightmeter, 2019, accessed 22 May 2021.
- Loomatix, “Color grab,” Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loomatix.colorgrab, 2019, accessed 22 May 2021.
- A. R. Smith, “Color gamut transform pairs,” in Proceedings of the 5th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, ser. SIGGRAPH ’78. New York, NY, USA: Association for Computing Machinery, 1978. http://dx.doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.1145/800248.807361. ISBN 9781450379083 p. 12–19.
- C. Spearman, “The proof and measurement of association between two things,” The American Journal of Psychology, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 72, Jan. 1904. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.2307/1412159
- W. H. Kruskal and W. A. Wallis, “Use of ranks in one-criterion variance analysis,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 47, no. 260, pp. 583–621, Dec. 1952. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1952.10483441
- E. P. J. Tozer, Broadcast Engineer’s Reference Book. Elsevier, 2004. ISBN 0-240-51908-6
- DIAL GmbH, “Luxmeter app versus measuring device: Are smartphones suitable for measuring illuminance?” Jun. 2006. [Online]. Available: https://www.dialux.com/en-GB/news-detail/luxmeter-app-versus- measuring-device-are-smartphones-suitable-for-measuring-illuminance
- R. Melo, F. Carvalho, and D. Cerqueira, “Pitfalls of measuring illuminance with smartphones,” in Occupational Safety and Hygiene VI. CRC Press, Mar. 2018, pp. 459–463.