Short Performance Analysis of the LTE and 5G Access Technologies in NS-3
Maroš Baumgartner, Jozef Juhar, Jan Papaj
Citation: Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Computer Science and Intelligence Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki, D. Ślęzak (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 25, pages 337–340 (2021)
Abstract. Nowadays, the requirements for data transmission and efficiency of IoT networks are increasing. Network efficiency at all levels can be increased by using 5G networks. In this paper, we simulate and analyse the LTE, enhanced Mobile BroadBand, and enhanced Mobile BroadBand with Millimeter-wave services in scenarios with different numbers of IoT nodes and analyze the energy consumption and energy efficiency achieved results. Simulated scenarios and results were obtained using NS-3. Energy and mmWave frameworks were analyzed in this work because they were the main part of the research.
- N. Baldo, M. Miozzo, M. Requena-Esteso and J. Nin-Guerrero, "An open-source product-oriented LTE network simulator based on ns-3", Proc. 14th ACM Int. Conf. Model. Anal. Simulat. Wireless Mobile Syst., pp. 293-298, 2011, [online] Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2068897.2068948, in press.
- Mezzavilla M., Zhang M., Poese M., Ford R., Dutta S., Rangan S., Zorzi M., “End-to-End Simulation of 5G mmWave Networks”, 2018 IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials.
- H. Tazaki et al., "Direct code execution: Revisiting library OS architecture for reproducible network experiments", Proc. 9th ACM Conf. Emerg. Netw. Exp. Technol. (CoNEXT), pp. 217-228, 2013, [online] Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2535372.2535374, in press.
- M. Rebato, M. Zorzi, "Simulation analysis of algorithms for interference management in 5G cellular networks using spatial spectrum sharing", Universita Degli Studi di Padova, pp. 17-33, 2015.
- M. Mezzavilla, S. Dutta, M. Zhang, M. R. Akdeniz, S. Rangan, "5G mmWave Module for ns-3 Network Simulator", NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering, New York, June 2015, in press.
- Edoardo B., "Design and performance evaluation of mm-wave vehicular networks", Politechnico di Torino, pp. 38-44, March 2019.
- Argha S., Abhijit M., Basabdatta P., Jay J., Krishna P., Sandip Ch., “An ns3-based Energy Module of 5G NR User Equipments for Millimeter Wave Networks”, 2021 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops.
- Zeman K., Masek P., Stusek M., Hosek J., Silhavy P., “Accuracy Comparison of Propagation Models for mmWave Communication in NS-3”, 2017 9 th International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecomunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT).
- Zhang M., Mezzavilla M., Ford R., Rangan S., Panwar S., Mellios E., Kong D., Nix A., Zorzi M., “Transport Layer Performance in 5G mmWave Cellular”, 2016 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), San Francisco, USA.
- Yi S., Chun S., Lee Y., Park S.,, Jung S., “Overview of LTE and LTE-Advanced New Features”, 2013 Wiley Telecom, p. 151-158.
- Finnegan J., Brown S., Farrell R., “Modeling the Energy Consumption of LoRaWAN in ns-3 Based on Real World Measurements”, 2018 Global Information Infrastructure and Networking Symposium (GIIS).
- C. Tapparello, H. Ayatollahi, W. Heinzelman "Energy Harvesting Framework for Network Simulator 3 (ns-3)", University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, November 2014.
- Pasca, S. T. V., Akilesh B., Anand A. V., Tamma B. R., “A NS-3 Module for LTE UE Energy Consumption”, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Networks and Telecommunications Systems.