Research on the factors affecting the successful implementation of Lean production model in industrial production enterprises in Vietnam
Hoang Thi Huong, Nguyen Thi Mai Anh
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 185–189 (2021)
Abstract. Lean manufacturing is one of the modern management methods to streamline production, reduce waste and increase business efficiency, thereby helping organizations and businesses improve productivity and quality. Most businesses have encountered difficulties when converting to LEAN and have not achieved the expected and sustained results in the long term. The aim of his study is to evaluate the factors of business characteristics affecting the results of Lean model application in industrial production in Vietnam. This study conducts an in-depth study of 10 typical industrial manufacturing enterprises. The research results show a model of six business characteristics that affect the success of Lean in production conditions in industrial enterprises. Based on the results, this study provides some suggestions for the firms to successfully apply lean
- Ab Wahid, R & Corner, J. (2009), ‘Critical success factors and problems in ISO 9000 maintenance’, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 2(2), 1-13.
- Achanga, P., Shehab, E., Roy, R. & Nelder, G. (2006), 'Critical success factors for lean implementation within SMEs', Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(4), 460-471 .
- Al-Najem, M. (2014), ‘Investigating the factors affecting readiness for lean system adoption within Kuwaiti smalland medium-sized manufacturing industries’, doctoral dissertation, University of Portsmouth.
- Thai An (2015), 'Vietnamese technology is 2-3 generations behind the world', Baodatviet, last accessed June 28, 2016, from <http://baodatviet.vn/khoa- study
- Aueungkul, A. (2013), 'An investigation of Critical Success Factors and Thai cultural impact', doctoral dissertation, Univerity of Wollongong, Thailand.
- Bakås, O., Govaert, T. & Van Landeghem, H. (2011), 'Challenges and success factors for implementation of lean manufacturing in European SMES', Proceeding of 13th International conference on the Modern Information Technology in the Innovation Processes of the Industrial Enterprise (MITIP 2011), Norway.
- Boynton, A. C & Zmud, R. W. (1984), ‘An assessment of critical success factors’, Sloan management review,25(4), 17-27.
- Coronado, R. B & Antony, J. (2002), ‘Critical success factors for the successful implementation of six sigmaprojects in organisations’, The TQM magazine, 14(2), 92-99.
- Dennis, P. (2015), Lean Production simplified: A plain-language guide to the world's most powerful production system, CRC Press.
- Drew, J., McCallum, B. & Roggenhofer, S. (2004), Journey to lean: making operational change stick, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Easterby-Smith, M., Thorpe, R. & Jackson, P. R. (2012), Management research, Sage.
- Flinchbaugh, J. & Carlino, A. (2006), Hitchhiker's guide to lean, Society of Manufacturing Engineers.
- Dang Thi Huong (2016), 'Training managers in small and medium-sized enterprises: Some proposed evaluations', Science Journal of Vietnam National University, Hanoi, Economics and Business, 23( 1), 31-39.
- Nguyen Dat Minh, Nguyen Danh Nguyen, Le Anh Tuan(2017) “Factors affecting the application of lean production methods in enterprises in Vietnam” Journal of Economic and Political Issues world – No. 12/2017.
- Nguyen Dat Minh, Nguyen Danh Nguyen (2017) “Applying Lean production methods in enterprises in Vietnam, the way to success” Economic and Development Magazine No. 1.2017.
- Kilpatrick, J. & Osborne, R. (2006), The R (E) evolution of Lean, Business Breakthroughs Inc.
- Kumar, M., Antony, J. & Douglas, A. (2009), ‘Does size matter for Six Sigma implementation? Findings from the survey in UK SMEs’, The TQM journal, 21(6), 623-635.
- Kundu, G. & Manohar, B. M. (2012), ‘Critical success factors for implementing lean practices in it support services’, International Journal for Quality research, 6(4), 301-312.
- Duong Thi Lieu & Nguyen Van Ha (2008), 'Integration and Vietnamese business culture', Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Vietnamese Studies, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences and Vietnam National University Hanoi to co-organize, Hanoi, 1-20.
- Nguyen Dang Minh, Nguyen Dang Toan, Nguyen Thi Linh Chi & Tran Thu Hoan (2014), 'Orientation for applying lean management in Vietnamese small and medium enterprises', VNU Science Journal, Economics and Business, 30(1), 63-71.
- Ohno, T. (1988), Toyota production system: beyond large-scale production, CRC Press.
- Parkhe, A. (1993), ‘Messy research, methodological predispositions, and theory development in international joint ventures’, Academy of Management review, 18(2), 227-268.
- Perry, C. (1998), Processes of a case study methodology for postgraduate research in marketing', European journal of marketing, 32(9/10), 785-802.
- Rockart, J. F. (1982), The changing role of the information systems executive: a critical success factor perspective, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Boston.
- Rose, A., Deros, BM & Ab Rahman, MN (2014), 'Critical success factors for implementing lean manufacturing in Malaysian automotive industry', Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineeringand Technology, 8(10), 1191-1200.
- Tracey, M., & Flinchbaugh, J. (2006), ‘HR's role in the lean organizational journey’, World at Work Journal,15(4), 49-58.
- Pham Minh Tuan (2015), 'Research and application of lean management in small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises of Vietnam', PhD thesis, University of Economics, Vietnam National University, Hanoi.
- Vermaak, T. D. (2008), ‘Critical success factors for the implementation of lean thinking in South African manufacturing organisations’, doctoral dissertation, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Wilson, L. (2010), How to Implement Lean Manufacturing, McGraw Hill.
- Womack, J. P., Jones, D. T. & Roos, D. (1990), Machine that changed the world, Simon and Schuster.
- Womack, J. P & Jones, D. T. (2003), Lean thinking: Banish waste and create wealth in your corporation, revised and updated, Harper Business.
- Yang, P & Yuyu, B. (2010), 'The Barriers to SMEs' Implementation of Lean Production and Counter measures-220-225.