Effect of memorable tourism experiences on revisit intention to community-based tourism destination of domestic tourists in Vietnam
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 307–313 (2021)
Abstract. The intention to return to a destination is one of the important research topics in tourism. The antecedents of revisiting intention confirmed include trip satisfaction, destination image, tourist attitude, and, most recently, memorable tourism experiences. This study tests the hypothesis of the impact of memorable tourism experience components on the intention to revisit the destination of domestic tourists in the community-based tourism in Northern Vietnam. The memorable tourism experience components are adapted from the scale of Kim et al , Chandaral et al , and Coudounaris et al . The study carried out exploratory factor analysis (EFA), confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), and finally, linear structural equation model analysis (SEM). It confirmed eight components of memorable tourism experiences that positively influence the intention to revisit domestic tourists and do not support the hypothesis that adverse feeling experiences affect revisit intention. There is no difference in intention to revisit the CBT destination between gender groups and different age groups with the research sample obtained
- Ajzen, I., & Driver, B. L. (1992). Application of the Theory of Planned Behavior to Leisure Choice. Journal of Leisure Research, 24(3), 207–224.
- Arnould, E., and L. Price. (1993). “River Magic: Extraordinary Experience and the Extended Service Encounter.” Journal of Consumer Research, 20: 24-45.
- Ayazlar, G., & Arslan Ayazlar, R. (2017). A Cross-cultural Investigation of Tourists’ Memorable Experiences between Two Nationalities. Almatourism - Journal of Tourism, Culture, and Territorial Development, 8(15), 136–151.
- Baker, D. A., and J. L. Crompton. 2000. “Quality, Satisfaction, and Behavioral Intentions.” Annals of Tourism Research 27 (3): 785–804.
- Bigne, E., Fuentes-Medina, M. L., & Morini-Marrero, S. (2020). Memorable tourist experiences versus ordinary tourist experiences are analyzed through user-generated content. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 45, 309–318.
- Chandralal và Valenzuela (2015), Memorable Tourism Experiences: Scale Development, Contemporary Management Research, Vol. 11, No. 3, 291-310.
- Chandralal, L., & Valenzuela, F. (2013). Exploring memorable tourism experiences: Antecedents and behavioral outcomes. Journal of Economics, Business, and Management, 1(2), 177–181.
- Chu Hieu (2019), Community-based tourism development in Cao Bang, Ethnic and mountainous photojournalism, accessed March 12, 2020, https://dantocmiennui.vn/du-lich/cao-bang-phat-trien-du-lich-cong-dong/230455.html.
- Coudounaris, D. & Sthapit, E (2017) Antecedents of memorable tourism experience related to behavioral intentions, Psychology & Marketing, Volume34, Issue12, 1084-1093.
- Doan Van Tuan (2015), To strongly develop community-based tourism in Vietnam, Economics and Forecast No. 7, pp.57-59.
- Han Chen, Imran Rahman (2018) Cultural tourism: An analysis of engagement, cultural contact, memorable tourism experience, and destination loyalty, Tourism Management Perspectives 26 (2018) 153–163.
- Jang, S., & Feng, R. (2007). Temporal destination revisit intention: The effects of novelty seeking and satisfaction. Tourism Management, 28(2), 580–590.
- Kerstetter, D., & Cho, M. (2004). Tourists' information search behavior: The role of prior knowledge and perceived credibility. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(4), 961–985.
- Kim, J.-H., Ritchie, J. R. B., & Tung, V. W. S. (2010). The Effect of Memorable Experience on Behavioral Intentions in Tourism: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach. Tourism Analysis, 15(6), 637–648.
- Kim, J.-H. (2017). The Impact of Memorable Tourism Experiences on Loyalty Behaviors: The Mediating Effects of Destination Image and Satisfaction. Journal of Travel Research, 57(7), 856–870.
- Kim, J. H., Ritchie, J. R. B., & McCormick, B. (2012). Development of a scale to measure memorable tourism experiences. Journal of Travel Research, 51(1), 12–25.
- Kim, J. H., & Ritchie, J. R. B. (2013). Cross-cultural validation of a memorable tourism experience scale (MTES). Journal of Travel Research, 53(3), 323–335.
- Kim, J., Ritchie, J. R. B., & Tung, W. S. V. (2010). The effect of memorable experience on behavioral intentions in tourism: A structural equation modeling approach. Tourism Analysis, 15, 637–648.
- Kozak, M. (2001) Repeaters’ Behavior at Two Distinct Destinations. Annals of Tourism Research, 28, 784-807.
- Larsen, S. (2007). “Aspects of a Psychology of the Tourist Experience.” Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, 7 (1): 7-18.
- Mitchell, T. R., Thompson, L., Peterson, E., & Cronk, R. (1997). Temporal Adjustments in the Evaluation of Events: The “Rosy View.” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 33(4), 421–448.
- Nicole Häusler, Wolfgang Strasdas (2002), Training Manual for Community Based Tourism, InWent Capacity Building International, Germany, 2002
- Otto, J.E., & Ritchie, J. R. B. (1996). The service experience in tourism. Tourism Management, 17(3), 165–174.
- Pine và Gilmore (1998), The Experience Economy: Work Is Theatre and Every Business a Stage, Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
- Quinlan Cutler, S. & Carmichael, B. (2010) The dimensions of the tourist experience. In M. Morgan, P. Lugosi & B. Ritchie (Eds) The Tourism and Leisure Experience: Consumer and Managerial Perspectives (pp. 3-26). Bristol: Channel View Publications.
- Sharma, P., & Nayak, J. K. (2019). Examining experience quality as the determinant of tourist behavior in niche tourism: an analytical approach. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 1–17.
- Sthapit (2013) Tourists' perceptions of memorable experiences: testing the Memorable Tourism Experience scale (MTEs) among tourists to Rovaniemi, Lapland, pro graduate thesis.
- Tran Thi Mai An (2017), Ethnic community tourism in Vietnam: trends in adapting to the needs of cultural integration, Southeast Asian Studies, No. 12, pp.73-78
- Tung, V. W. S., & Ritchie, J. R. B. (2011). Exploring the essence of memorable tourist experiences. Annals of Tourism Research, 38(4), 1367–1386.
- Um, S., Chon, K., & Ro, Y. (2006). Antecedents of revisit intention. Annals of Tourism Research, 33(4), 1141–1158.
- Zhang, H., Wu, Y., & Buhalis, D. (2018). A model of perceived image, memorable tourism experiences, and revisit intention. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 8, 326–336.