Corporate social responsibility and employee loyalty: Role of pride and commitment
Quang Van Ngo, Thang Quang Tran, Thuong Cong Luu
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 237–242 (2021)
Abstract. Recently, corporate social responsibility (CSR) is one of the most important issues that have received the attention of our whole society in all sectors. The current research attempts to examine the influence mechanism of corporate social responsibility on the loyalty of employees who work in the firms. This research also clarifies the mediating effects of employees' pride perception and commitment in the relationship between CSR performance of the firms and employees' loyalty intention. This research collected data through questionnaire survey using a convenient sampling method with the respondents who are employees in small and medium firms in Hanoi city, capital of Vietnam. Finally, 210 valid questionnaires collected that were utilized to test the hypothesis applying PLS-SEM approach with SmartPLS software. The results showed that CSR does not directly affect employees loyalty behavior, but via the mediating effects of employees' pride perception and commitment with the firms. Moreover, perceived pride of employees has no direct effect on employees' loyalty behaviors with the firms
- M. F. Mikkelsen, C. B. Jacobsen, and L. B. Andersen, "Managing employee motivation: Exploring the connections between managers’ enforcement actions, employee perceptions, and employee intrinsic motivation," International Public Management Journal, vol. 20, pp. 183-205, 2017.
- N. Govaerts, E. Kyndt, F. Dochy, and H. Baert, "Influence of learning and working climate on the retention of talented employees," Journal of workplace learning, 2011.
- S. C. Kundu and K. Lata, "Effects of supportive work environment on employee retention," International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 2017.
- L. Lee and L. F. Chen, "Boosting employee retention through CSR: A configurational analysis," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, vol. 25, pp. 948-960, 2018.
- J. S. Kim, J. Milliman, and A. Lucas, "Effects of CSR on employee retention via identification and quality-of-work-life," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2020.
- F. L. Cooke and Q. He, "Corporate social responsibility and HRM in China: a study of textile and apparel firms," Asia pacific firm review, vol. 16, pp. 355-376, 2010.
- A. McWilliams, D. S. Siegel, and P. M. Wright, "Corporate social responsibility: Strategic implications," Journal of management studies, vol. 43, pp. 1-18, 2006.
- B. Rettab, A. B. Brik, and K. Mellahi, "A study of management perceptions of the impact of corporate social responsibility on organisational performance in emerging economies: the case of Dubai," Journal of firm ethics, vol. 89, pp. 371-390, 2009.
- M. E. F. R. d. Oliveira and P. Rodrigues, "The importance of corporate social responsability in the brand image: the" Nespresso" case study," 2015.
- W. Davies, "All the happy workers," The Atlantic, 2015.
- J. He, H. Zhang, and A. M. Morrison, "The impacts of corporate social responsibility on organization citizenship behavior and task performance in hospitality," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2019.
- L. Tourigny, J. Han, V. V. Baba, and P. Pan, "Ethical leadership and corporate social responsibility in China: A multilevel study of their effects on trust and organizational citizenship behavior," Journal of Firm Ethics, vol. 158, pp. 427-440, 2019.
- S. D. Hansen, B. B. Dunford, A. D. Boss, R. W. Boss, and I. Angermeier, "Corporate social responsibility and the benefits of employee trust: A cross-disciplinary perspective," Journal of firm ethics, vol. 102, pp. 29-45, 2011.
- T. W. Ng, K. C. Yam, and H. Aguinis, "Employee perceptions of corporate social responsibility: Effects on pride, embeddedness, and turnover," Personnel Psychology, vol. 72, pp. 107-137, 2019.
- K. De Roeck, A. El Akremi, and V. Swaen, "Consistency matters! How and when does corporate social responsibility affect employees’ organizational identification?," Journal of Management Studies, vol. 53, pp. 1141-1168, 2016.
- F. Luthans and C. M. Youssef, "Human, social, and now positive psychological capital management: Investing in people for competitive advantage," 2004.
- F. Luthans and C. M. Youssef-Morgan, "Psychological capital: An evidence-based positive approach," Annual review of organizational psychology and organizational behavior, vol. 4, pp. 339-366, 2017.
- A. B. Carroll, " “The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders”," Firm Horizons 34 1991.
- N. K. Lee, Philip "Corporate social responsibility doing the most good for your company and your cause," Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2013.
- Y. Gao and W. He, "Corporate social responsibility and employee organizational citizenship behavior," Management Decision, 2017.
- H. T. Hoang, F. Wang, Q. Van Ngo, and M. Chen, "Brand equity in social media-based brand community," Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 2019.
- K. Bouraoui, S. Bensemmane, M. Ohana, and M. Russo, "Corporate social responsibility and employees’ affective commitment," Management Decision, 2019.
- R. Chaudhary, "Corporate social responsibility and employee engagement: can CSR help in redressing the engagement gap?," Social Responsibility Journal, 2017.
- N. N. Thắng, "Gắn quản trị nhân sự với trách nhiệm xã hội của doanh nghiệp," VNU Journal of Science: Economics and Firm, vol. 26, 2010.
- R. T. Mowday, R. M. Steers, and L. W. Porter, "The measurement of organizational commitment," Journal of vocational behavior, vol. 14, pp. 224-247, 1979.
- L. Eldor and E. Vigoda-Gadot, "The nature of employee engagement: Rethinking the employee–organization relationship," The International Journal of Human Resource Management, vol. 28, pp. 526-552, 2017.
- M. Kang and M. Sung, "How symmetrical employee communication leads to employee engagement and positive employee communication behaviors: The mediation of employee-organization relationships," Journal of Communication Management, 2017.
- A. M. Saks, "Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement revisited," Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance, 2019.
- A. Glavas, "Corporate social responsibility and employee engagement: Enabling employees to employ more of their whole selves at work," Frontiers in psychology, vol. 7, p. 796, 2016.
- A. Vorina, M. Simonič, and M. Vlasova, "An analysis of the relationship between job satisfaction and employee engagement," Economic themes, vol. 55, pp. 243-262, 2017.
- K. Goudarzi, S. Llosa, C. Orsingher, M. H. Gouthier, and M. Rhein, "Organizational pride and its positive effects on employee behavior," Journal of Service Management, 2011.
- O. Durrah, K. Allil, M. Gharib, and S. Hannawi, "Organizational pride as an antecedent of employee creativity in the petrochemical industry," European Journal of Innovation Management, 2020.
- S. V. Helm, U. Renk, and A. Mishra, "Exploring the impact of employees’ self-concept, brand identification and brand pride on brand citizenship behaviors," European Journal of Marketing, 2016.
- W. A. Kahn, "Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work," Academy of management journal, vol. 33, pp. 692-724, 1990.
- W. B. Schaufeli and A. B. Bakker, "Defining and measuring work engagement: Bringing clarity to the concept," Work engagement: A handbook of essential theory and research, vol. 12, pp. 10-24, 2010.
- D. Turker, "How corporate social responsibility influences organizational commitment," Journal of Firm ethics, vol. 89, pp. 189-204, 2009.
- A. Cohen, "Commitment before and after: An evaluation and reconceptualization of organizational commitment," Human resource management review, vol. 17, pp. 336-354, 2007.
- R. Ahmad, S. Ahmad, T. Islam, and A. Kaleem, "The nexus of corporate social responsibility (CSR), affective commitment and organisational citizenship behaviour in academia: A model of trust," Employee Relations: The International Journal, 2020.
- M. d. G. M. C. Almeida and A. F. M. Coelho, "The antecedents of corporate reputation and image and their impacts on employee commitment and performance: The moderating role of CSR," Corporate Reputation Review, vol. 22, pp. 10-25, 2019.
- S. Lythreatis, A. M. S. Mostafa, and X. Wang, "Participative leadership and organizational identification in SMEs in the MENA Region: Testing the roles of CSR perceptions and pride in membership," Journal of Firm Ethics, vol. 156, pp. 635-650, 2019.
- C. J. C. Jabbour and F. C. A. Santos, "Relationships between human resource dimensions and environmental management in companies: proposal of a model," Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 16, pp. 51-58, 2008.
- S.-H. Ko, T.-W. Moon, and W.-M. Hur, "Bridging service employees’ perceptions of CSR and organizational citizenship behavior: The moderated mediation effects of personal traits," Current psychology, vol. 37, pp. 816-831, 2018.
- D. B. Turban, C.-M. Lau, H.-Y. Ngo, I. H. Chow, and S. X. Si, "Organizational attractiveness of firms in the People's Republic of China: A person–organization fit perspective," Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 86, p. 194, 2001.
- S. Brammer, H. He, and K. Mellahi, "Corporate social responsibility, employee organizational identification, and creative effort: The moderating impact of corporate ability," Group & Organization Management, vol. 40, pp. 323-352, 2015.
- E. Kyndt, F. Dochy, M. Michielsen, and B. Moeyaert, "Employee retention: Organisational and personal perspectives," Vocations and Learning, vol. 2, pp. 195-215, 2009.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate data analysis vol. 5: Prentice hall Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1998.
- R. R. Bagozzi and Y. Yi, "On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models " Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science vol. 16, 1988.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of marketing research, pp. 39-50, 1981.
- M. T. Liu, Y. Liu, Z. Mo, Z. Zhao, and Z. Zhu, "How CSR influences customer behavioural loyalty in the Chinese hotel industry," Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 2019.
- N. T. Van, T. T. H. Chi, V. T. M. Chi, and N. Quang, "The relationship between customer-based corporate reputation and customer citizenship behavior: The case in Vietnam," International Journal of Firm and Management, vol. 11, pp. 298-308, 2016.
- J. P. Meyer, D. J. Stanley, L. Herscovitch, and L. Topolnytsky, "Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: A meta-analysis of antecedents, correlates, and consequences," Journal of vocational behavior, vol. 61, pp. 20-52, 2002.