Identify the role of financial leverage in the relationship between entrepreneurship orientation and the performance of SMEs
Bui Thi Thu Loan, Nguyen Ngoc Phuong Anh, Nguyen Xuan Thang
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 217–221 (2021)
Abstract. The paper examines the impact mechanism of entrepreneurship orientation on the business performance of enterprises through the role of financial resources. The analysis results are based on data including 113 observations collected from small and medium enterprises according to the linear structural model. The findings suggest that financial leverage acts as a mediator for the relationship between entrepreneurship orientation and business performance. On that basis, some implications and future research directions are proposed
- Abor, J. (2007), "Debt policy and performance of SMEs Evidence from Ghanaian and South African firms", The Journal of Risk Finance, Vol. 8 No. 4, pp 364-379.
- Acosta A, Crespo A, Agudo J, 2018. Effect of market orientation, network capability and entrepreneurial Orientation on international performance of small and medium enterprises (SMEs). International Business Review 27 (2018) 1128–1140.
- Brown, S.L., Eisenhardt, K.M., 1998. Competing on the Edge. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Brush, C.G., Greene, P.G., Hart, M.M., 2001. From initial idea to unique advantage: the entrepreneurial challenge of constructing a resource base. Acad. Manage. Exec. 15 (1), 64–78
- Chandler, G.N., Hanks, S.H., 1994. Founder competence, the environment, and venture performance. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice. 18 (3), 77–89.
- Collaghan C, Venter R (2011). An investigation of the entrepreneurial orientation, context and entrepreneurial performance of inner-city Johannesburg street traders, Southern African Business Review 15 (1), 2011. 136.
- Covin, J.G., Slevin, D.P., 1991. A conceptual model of entrepreneurship as firm behavior. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice. , (Fall), 7–25.
- Covin, J.G., Lumpkin G.H (2011). Entrepreneurial Orientation Theory and Research: Reflections on a Needed Construct. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 2011, vol. 35, issue 5, 855-872
- Fombrun, C.J., Wally, S., 1989. Structuring small firms for rapid growth. Journal Business Venturing 4, 107–122
- Hamel, G., 2000. Leading the Revolution. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- GaoY, Geb B, Lang X, Xu X (2018). Impacts of proactive orientation and entrepreneurial strategy on entrepreneurial performance: An empirical research. Technological Forecasting & Social Change 135 (2018) 178 -187.
- Hart, S.L., 1992. An integrative framework for strategy-making processes. Acadamic Management. Rev. 17 (2), 327–351.
- Hair, J. F. J., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., & Black, W. C. (1998). Multivariate data analysis with readings. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Hughes P, Hodgkinson, Hughes and Arshad D 2018. Explaining the entrepreneurial orientation–performance relationship in emerging economies: The intermediate roles of absorptive capacity and improvisation. Asia Pacìic Journal Management. DOI 10.1007/s10490-017-9539-7.
- Knight, G.A., 1997. Cross-cultural reliability and validity of a scale to measure firm entrepreneurial orientation. Journal Business Venturing 12, 213–225.
- Lumpkin, G., Dess, G.G., 1996. Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance. The Academy of Management Review Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 135-172.
- March, J.G., 1991. Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning. Organization Science. 2, 71–87 Acadamic Management Rev. 21 (1), 135–172.
- McGrath, R.G., 2001. Exploratory learning, innovative capacity, and managerial oversight. Acadamic Management Journal, 44, 118–131.
- Miller, D., 1983. The correlates of entrepreneurship in three types of firms. Management Science. 29, 770–791.
- Namen, J.L., Slevin, D.P., 1993. Entrepreneurship and the concept of fit: a model and empirical tests. Strategic Management. J. 14, 137–153.
- Nguyen, T.T.Mai, 2009. Enhancing Entrepreneurial Orientation, A stimulus for business development in Vietnam during the Economics Recession. International Vision, 13, 85-95.
- Smart, D.T., Conant, J.S., 1994. Entrepreneurial orientation, distinctive marketing competencies and organizational performance. J. Appl. Bussiness. Res. 10, 28–38
- Schumpeter, J., 1934. The Theory of Economic Development. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Sidik. S, Mohamad, M. R., & Nasir, W. M. (2019). Sustaining Small Business Performance: Role of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Financial Access. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 9(9), 66–80.
- Sidik I.G (2012), “Conceptual Framework of Factors Affecting SME Development: Mediating Factors on the Relationship of Entrepreneur Traits and SME Performance”, Procedia Economics and Finance, Vol. 4, pp. 373-383
- Zahra, S., 1991. Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: an explorative study. J. Business Venturing 6, 259–285.
- Zahra, S.A., 1993b. Environment, corporate entrepreneurship, and financial performance: a taxonomic approach. J. Business Venturing 8, 319–340.
- Zahra, S., Covin, J., 1995. Contextual influence on the corporate entrepreneurship–performance relationship: a longitudinal analysis. J. Bus. Venturing 10, 43–58.
- Wiklund, J., 1999. The sustainability of the entrepreneurial orientation–performance relationship. Entrepreneurship Theory &. Practice. 24 (1), 37–48.