The determinants of the business performance of commercial banks: A case study of Vietnam
Bui Thi Thu Loan, Nguyen Xuan Thang, Vu Duy Hao, Ta Quang Hieu
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 213–215 (2021)
Abstract. The paper studies the factors affecting the business performance of commercial banks (2008--2018), based on the examination of bank characteristics according to the information on the financial statements of 24 commercial banks and macroeconomic factors. Our findings provide evidence on the significant influence of the factors of diversity on income structure, cost management and capital structure on the business performance of commercial banks. Some implications and future research directions are thereby proposed.
- Athanasoglou, P., Brissimis, S., & Delis, M. (2008). Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money. 18, pp.121-136.
- Athanasoglou, P., Delis, M. & Staikouras, C. (2006) Determinants of Bank Profitability in the Southern Eastern European Region. Bank of Greece Working Paper. 47.
- Berríos. MR, (2013). The relationship between bank credit risk and profitability and liquidity. The International Journal of Business and Finance Vol 7. Pp 105 – 118.
- Berger, A.L. (1995) The Relationship between Capital and Earnings in Banking. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 272), pp.432-456.
- Berger, A.L. Patti. EB (2006) Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry. Journal of Banking & Finance.
- Dietrich, A. and Wanzenried, G. (2011). Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 21(3), pp.307-327.
- Eichengreen, B. and Gibson, H. (2001) Greek Banking at the Dawn of the New Millennium. CEPR Discussion Paper, No. 2791.
- Elsas, R., Hackethal, A. and Holzhäuser, M. (2008). The Anatomy of Bank Diversification. SSRN Electronic Journal, 34(6), pp.1274-1287.
- Goddard, J., McKillop, D. and Wilson, J. (2008). The Diversification and Financial Performance of US Credit Unions. Journal of Banking & Finance, 32(9), pp.1836–1849.
- Hausman, J. A. (1978). Specification tests in econometrics. Econometrica 46: 1251–1271.
- Molyneux, P., Thornton, J. (1992). Determinants of European bank profitability: a note.
- Naceur, S.B. & Kandil, M. (2009) The impact of capital requirements on banks’ cost of intermediation and performance: The case of Egypt. Journal of Business and Economics. 61(1), pp.70-89.
- Pasiouras, F. and Kosmidou, K. (2007), “Factors influencing the profitability of domestic and foreign banks in the European Union”, Research in International Business and Finance, 21(2), pp. 222-237.
- Perera, S., Skully, M., & Wickramanayake, J. (2007). Cost efficiency in South Asian banking: the impact of bank size, state ownership and stock exchange
- Pratomo, Ario. W, Ghafar (2006). Islamic bank performance and capital structure. MPRA Paper No. 6012, MPRA Paper No. 6012, posted 29 Nov 2007
- Rasiah, D. (2010). Theoretical Framework of Profitability as Applied to Commercial Banks in Malaysia. European Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Services.19, pp.74-97.
- Tunay, K.B., Silpar, M.A., 2006. Performance Analysis Based on Profitability in Turkish Banking Sector. Banks Association of Turkey, Research Papers, No: 2006-I.
- Zhao, S.Y & Zhao, S.F (2013) States Ownership, Size and Bank profitability: Evidence from Chinese Commercial Banks, 1998-2011.Information Technology Journal. 12 (16).