Fostering employee loyalty: role of empowerment leadership, trust, commitment and satisfaction
Quang Van Ngo, Luan Ngoc Trinh, Chung Xuan-Thi Nguyen
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 9–17 (2021)
Abstract. Recently, the employee loyalty is among the most important issues for the firms, especially in the context of Covid-19 that cause a lot of serious problems for all society and firms. The main aim of this research is to link the empowerment leadership and employee loyalty with the mediating effects of employee trust, commitment and satisfaction. To reach the end, this research applied both qualitative and quantitative method in the context of market officer from animal feed products in Thanh Hoa, Vietnam. Finally, 220 valid questionnaires collected via a questionnaire survey were analyzed applying structural equation modelling with Amos software. The results showed that empowerment leadership has a strong influence on employee loan this research ltd. Moreover, this leadership style stimulates employee trust, commitment and satisfaction. Besides, employee commitment has a positive effect on employee loyalty
- L.-M. Tseng and J.-Y. Wu, "How can financial organizations improve employee loyalty? The effects of ethical leadership, psychological contract fulfillment and organizational identification," Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 2017.
- B. Narteh and R. Odoom, "Does internal marketing influence employee loyalty? Evidence from the Ghanaian banking industry," Services Marketing Quarterly, vol. 36, pp. 112-135, 2015.
- G. M. Spreitzer, "Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement, and validation," Academy of management Journal, vol. 38, pp. 1442-1465, 1995.
- S. Hassan, R. Mahsud, G. Yukl, and G. E. Prussia, "Ethical and empowering leadership and leader effectiveness," Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2013.
- C.-M. Wu and T.-J. Chen, "Psychological contract fulfillment in the hotel workplace: Empowering leadership, knowledge exchange, and service performance," International Journal of Hospitality Management, vol. 48, pp. 27-38, 2015.
- S. L. Albrecht and M. Andreetta, "The influence of empowering leadership, empowerment and engagement on affective commitment and turnover intentions in community health service workers: Test of a model," Leadership in health services, 2011.
- S. Amundsen and Ø. L. Martinsen, "Self–other agreement in empowering leadership: Relationships with leader effectiveness and subordinates' job satisfaction and turnover intention," The Leadership Quarterly, vol. 25, pp. 784-800, 2014.
- Y.-N. Cho, B. N. Rutherford, S. B. Friend, G. A. Hamwi, and J. Park, "The role of emotions on frontline employee turnover intentions," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, vol. 25, pp. 57-68, 2017.
- B. Buchanan, "Government managers, business executives, and organizational commitment," Public Administration Review, pp. 339-347, 1974.
- B. P. Niehoff, R. H. Moorman, G. Blakely, and J. Fuller, "The influence of empowerment and job enrichment on employee loyalty in a downsizing environment," Group & Organization Management, vol. 26, pp. 93-113, 2001.
- H. Chen, "A comparative study of organisational commitment of bank employees in Ireland and China," 2009.
- P. Korkki, "The shifting definition of worker loyalty," New York Times, vol. 8, p. 8, 2011.
- S. Rajput, M. Singhal, and S. Tiwari, "Job satisfaction and employee loyalty: A study of academicians," Asian Journal of Management, vol. 7, pp. 105-109, 2016.
- L. W. Porter, R. M. Steers, R. T. Mowday, and P. V. Boulian, "Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and turnover among psychiatric technicians," Journal of applied psychology, vol. 59, p. 603, 1974.
- R. Abdullah, M. Musa, H. Zahari, R. Rahman, and K. Khalid, "The study of employee satisfaction and its effects towards loyalty in hotel industry in Klang Valley, Malaysia," International Journal of Business and Social Science, vol. 2, pp. 147-155, 2011.
- J. W. Newstrom, K. Davis, and J. L. Pierce, "Organizational behavior: Human behavior at work," 1993.
- S. Arad, "Empowered work groups: Conceptual framework and empirical assessment of empowerment processes and outcomes in organizations," University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994.
- M. H. Sadegh, M. A. Shah Hosseini, and A. Heidari, "Extracting the Effective Factors on Corporate Governance Formation in Strategic Alliances with Focus on International Joint Ventures through Systematic Literature Review," Journal of Business Management, vol. 12, pp. 64-93, 2020.
- S. Albers, B. Schweiger, and J. Gibb, "Complexity, power and timing in multipartner alliances: an integrative review and research agenda," Managing Multipartner Strategic Alliances. New York: Information Age Publishing, 2015.
- V. H. Villena, T. Y. Choi, and E. Revilla, "Revisiting interorganizational trust: is more always better or could more be worse?," Journal of Management, vol. 45, pp. 752-785, 2019.
- A. Alhaddad, "A structural model of the relationships between brand image, brand trust and brand loyalty," International Journal of Management Research and Reviews, vol. 5, p. 137, 2015.
- L. Bricci, A. Fragata, and J. Antunes, "The effects of trust, commitment and satisfaction on customer loyalty in the distribution sector," Journal of Economics, Business and Management, vol. 4, pp. 173-177, 2016.
- S. T. Certo, J. R. Busenbark, H. s. Woo, and M. Semadeni, "Sample selection bias and Heckman models in strategic management research," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 37, pp. 2639-2657, 2016.
- Y. Choi, Y. Huang, and B. Sternquist, "The effects of the salesperson’s characteristics on buyer-seller relationships," Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 2015.
- R. M. Morgan and S. D. Hunt, "The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing," Journal of marketing, vol. 58, pp. 20-38, 1994.
- A. Payne and P. Frow, "Relationship marketing: looking backwards towards the future," Journal of services marketing, 2017.
- M. G. Colombo and E. Piva, "Knowledge misappropriation risks and contractual complexity in entrepreneurial ventures’ non-equity alliances," Small Business Economics, vol. 53, pp. 107-127, 2019.
- N. Q. Thu, T. T. Hoàng, H. K. Tân, and N. H. Sơn, "Hoạt động gọi vốn tài trợ khởi nghiệp từ cộng đồng: Tiếp cận từ lý thuyết marketing quan hệ," Tạp chí Nghiên cứu Kinh tế và Kinh doanh Châu Á, vol. 29, pp. 05-22, 2020.
- N. Huy, "Nâng cao chất lượng đội ngũ công chức chuyên môn cấp xã ở huyện Bố Trạch, tỉnh Quảng Bình," 2018.
- S. W. Wang, W. Ngamsiriudom, and C.-H. Hsieh, "Trust disposition, trust antecedents, trust, and behavioral intention," The Service Industries Journal, vol. 35, pp. 555-572, 2015.
- N. V. Thắng, "Hoàn thiện hoạt động quản trị nguồn nhân lực tại công ty trách nhiệm hữu hạn một thành viên Công trình Công cộng tỉnh Vĩnh Long," 2015.
- V. D. Bùi and T. H. Nguyễn, "Phát triển nguồn nhân lực logistics Việt Nam: Cần một chiến lược toàn diện," 2020.
- R. Bel, "Leadership and innovation: Learning from the best," Global business and organizational excellence, vol. 29, pp. 47-60, 2010.
- L. A. Halawi, J. E. Aronson, and R. V. McCarthy, "Resource-based view of knowledge management for competitive advantage," The electronic journal of knowledge management, vol. 3, p. 75, 2005.
- J. P. Meyer, D. R. Bobocel, and N. J. Allen, "Development of organizational commitment during the first year of employment: A longitudinal study of pre-and post-entry influences," Journal of management, vol. 17, pp. 717-733, 1991.
- T. M. Porter, "Making things quantitative," Science in context, vol. 7, pp. 389-407, 1994.
- K. Do Duc, T. N. Anh, C. P. Duc, and T. H. Thanh, "Expanding fruit product market through brand, sales and distribution channel and product quality," Science and Technology Development Journal, vol. 17, pp. 6-19, 2014.
- T. TIN and T. T Ó MT Ắ, "Mối quan hệ giữa cảm xúc với điểm đến và chất lượng quan hệ trong kinh doanh du lịch: Trường hợp du khách nội địa ở TP. Hồ Chí Minh," 2017.
- N. Kumar, L. K. Scheer, and J.-B. E. Steenkamp, "The effects of perceived interdependence on dealer attitudes," Journal of marketing research, vol. 32, pp. 348-356, 1995.
- M. Fiaz, Q. Su, and A. Saqib, "Leadership styles and employees' motivation: Perspective from an emerging economy," The Journal of Developing Areas, vol. 51, pp. 143-156, 2017.
- M. Cheong, F. J. Yammarino, S. D. Dionne, S. M. Spain, and C.-Y. Tsai, "A review of the effectiveness of empowering leadership," The Leadership Quarterly, vol. 30, pp. 34-58, 2019.
- R. C. Mayer, J. H. Davis, and F. D. Schoorman, "An integrative model of organizational trust," Academy of management review, vol. 20, pp. 709-734, 1995.
- K. Dewettinck and M. Van Ameijde, "Linking leadership empowerment behaviour to employee attitudes and behavioural intentions: Testing the mediating role of psychological empowerment," Personnel Review, 2011.
- T. Bartram and G. Casimir, "The relationship between leadership and follower in‐role performance and satisfaction with the leader: The mediating effects of empowerment and trust in the leader," Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 2007.
- E. K. Kelloway, N. Turner, J. Barling, and C. Loughlin, "Transformational leadership and employee psychological well-being: The mediating role of employee trust in leadership," Work & Stress, vol. 26, pp. 39-55, 2012.
- D. Lewicka, A. Glinska-Newes, D. Morrow, and J. Gorka, "The effect of job characteristics on employee loyalty: The mediation role of vertical trust and perceived supervisory support," Маркетинг і менеджмент інновацій, pp. 168-185, 2018.
- M. Kim and T. A. Beehr, "Job crafting mediates how empowering leadership and employees’ core self-evaluations predict favourable and unfavourable outcomes," European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, vol. 29, pp. 126-139, 2020.
- S. Allen, B. E. Winston, G. R. Tatone, and H. M. Crowson, "Exploring a model of servant leadership, empowerment, and commitment in nonprofit organizations," Nonprofit Management and Leadership, vol. 29, pp. 123-140, 2018.
- C. K. Sahoo, N. Behera, and S. K. Tripathy, "Employee empowerment and individual commitment: An analysis from integrative review of research," Employment Relations Record, vol. 10, pp. 40-56, 2010.
- M. Uzair, W. Razzaq, M. Sarfraz, and Q. A. Nisar, "Impact of HR practices on employee loyalty and commitment: Mediating role of job satisfaction," International Journal of Management Excellence, vol. 9, pp. 1067-1073, 2017.
- B. H. Janjua and A. Gulzar, "The impact of human resource practices on employee commitment and employee retention in telecom sector of Pakistan: Exploring the mediating role of employee loyalty," IOSR Journal of Business and Management, vol. 16, pp. 76-81, 2014.
- T. V. B. Hoàng and H. T. Hùng, "Các yếu tố ảnh hưởng đến mức độ hài lòng công việc của những người đã từng học tập hoặc làm việc ở nước ngoài-trường hợp nghiên cứu tại tỉnh thừa thiên huế," Hue University Journal of Science: Economics and Development, vol. 126, pp. 229–237-229–237, 2017.
- D. J. Weiss, R. V. Dawis, and G. W. England, "Manual for the Minnesota satisfaction questionnaire," Minnesota studies in vocational rehabilitation, 1967.
- J. Green, Job satisfaction of community college chairpersons: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2000.