Determinants of Dividend Smoothing: Empirical evidence from non-financial firms listed on Vietnam stock exchanges
Thanh Tat Tran, Dinh Van Nguyen, Yen Hai Thi Nguyen
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 35–41 (2021)
Abstract. This study considers the impact of different factors on the degree of dividend smoothing of non-financial firms listed in Vietnam during 2008 - 2018. We use two measures (Speed of Adjustment and Relative Volatility) to evaluate the degree of dividend smoothing. Using 2SLS estimation to solve endogenous issues in the model, we show that dividend smoothing is higher for firms with fragmented ownership structure, slim growth opportunities, large size, high-profit volatility and are in the highly competitive sector. We also contribute to the literature by the new finding that the firm age has a nonlinear relation (U-shaped) with the degree of dividend smoothing. Our results support the agency theory
- Aivazian, V., L. Booth and S. Cleary, “Do emerging market firms follow different dividend policies from US firms?”, Journal of Financial research, 26(3), 371-387, 2003.
- Ali, Z., A. Ullah and A. Ali, “Board structure and dividend smoothing: A case of Pakistani listed firms”, Bussiness Review, 14(2), 65-91, 2019.
- Allen, F., A. E. Bernardo and I. Welch, “A theory of dividends based on tax clienteles”, The Journal of Finance, 55(6), 2499-2536, 2000.
- Al-Najjar, B., and E. Kilincarslan, “Corporate dividend decisions and dividend smoothing: New evidence from an empirical study of Turkish firms”, International Journal of Managerial Finance, 13(3), 304-331, 2017.
- Baker, M., and J. Wurgler, “Investor sentiment and the cross-section of stock returns”, Journal of Finance, 61, 1645–1680, 2006.
- Bhattacharya, S., “Imperfect information, dividend policy, and “the bird in the hand” fallacy”, Bell journal of economics,10(1), 259-270, 1979.
- Brennan, M. J., and A. V. Thakor, “Shareholder preferences and dividend policy”, The Journal of Finance, 45(4), 993-1018, 1990.
- DeAngelo, H., and L. DeAngelo, “Capital structure, payout policy, and financial flexibility”, Working paper, 2007.
- Dewenter, K. L., and V. A. Warther, “Dividends, asymmetric information, and agency conflicts: Evidence from a comparison of the dividend policies of Japanese and US firms”, The Journal of Finance, 53(3), 879-904, 1998.
- Easterbrook, F. H., “Two Agency-Cost Explanations of Dividends”, American Economic Review, 74(4), 650-659, 1984.
- Freeman, R. N., “The association between accounting earnings and security returns for large and small firms”, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 9(2), 195-228, 1987.
- Grullon, G., M. Roni and S. Bhaskaran, “Are dividend changes a sign of firm maturity?”, The Journal of Business, 75, 387-424, 2002.
- Guttman, I., O. Kadan and E. Kandel, “Dividend stickiness and strategic pooling”, Review of Financial studies, 23(12), 4455-4495, 2010.
- Harries, M., A. Raviv, “The theory of capital structure”, Journal of Finance, 46, 297-355, 1991.
- Javakhadze, D., S. P. Ferris., and N. Sen., “An International Analysis of Dividend Smoothing”, Journal of Corporate Finance, 29, 200–220, 2014.
- Jensen, M. C., and W. H. Meckling, “Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure”, Journal of financial economics, 3(4), 305-360, 1976.
- Jeong, J., “Determinants of dividend smoothing in emerging market: The case of Korea”, Emerging Markets Review, 17, 76-88, 2013.
- Kighir, A. E., N. H. Omar., and N. Mohamed, “Corporate cash flow and dividends smoothing: a panel data analysis at Bursa Malaysia”, Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 13 (1), 2-19, 2015.
- Kumar, P., and B. Lee, “Discrete dividend policy with permanent earnings”, Financial Management, 55-76, 2001.
- Kumar, P., “Shareholder-manager conflict and the information content of dividends”, Review of Financial studies, 1(2), 111-136, 1988.
- La, P. R., F. L., A. Shleifer and R. Vishny , “Investor protection and corporate governance”, Journal of financial economics, 58(1), 3-27, 2000.
- Lambrecht, B. M., and S. C. Myers, “A Litner Model of Payout and Managerial Rents”, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2010.
- Leary, M. T., and M. Roni, “Determinants of dividend smoothing: Empirical evidence”, Review of Financial studies, 24(10), 3197-3249, 2011.
- Lintner, J., “Distribution of Incomes of Corporations Among Dividends, Retained Earnings, and Taxes”, American Economic Review, 46(2), 97–113, 1956.
- Michaely, R., and M. Roberts, “Dividend smoothing, agency costs, and information asymmetry: Lessons from the dividend policies of private firms”, Unpublished working paper, 2006.
- Shinozaki, S., and K. Uchida, “Ownership Structure and Dividend Smoothing: International Evidence”, Working Paper Faculty of Economics, Kyushu University, 2015.