Energy-Efficient Distributed Cluster-Tree Based Routing Protocol for Applications IoT-Based WSN
Nguyen Duy Tan, Hong-Nhat Hoang
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 Seventh International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 33, pages 213–218 (2022)
Abstract. With the growth of wireless sensor network (WSN) technologies, the applications of IoT-based WSNs allow the interconnection of smart objects or sensors through the Internet. However, energy constraint is a major obstacle in WSN, which directly affects the lifespan of the network. Hence, many researchers have focused on how to program routing protocols to maximize energy conservation in WSNs. The clustering mechanism is demonstrated that separating the network into clusters may significantly decrease energy consumption. In this paper, we propose distributed tree-based clustering routing protocol for IoT applications (EE-DTC). In order to enhance efficient energy, EE-DTC chooses cluster head nodes based on the remaining energy, the location, and the density of nodes. In addition, to lengthen the network lifespan, we create multi-hop routes with short communication links intra-clusters by building the minimum spanning tree using the Kruskal algorithm. Our experiment results show that the performance of EE-DTC overcomes the TBC and LEACH-VA protocols in terms of increasing network lifespan, reducing energy consumption, and improving efficient energy.
- J. A. Afonso, R. A. Sousa, J. C. Ferreira, V. Monteiro, D. Pedrosa and J. L. Afonso, "IoT system for anytime/anywhere monitoring and control of vehicles’ parameters," in IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics (SOLI). Bari, Italy, September 2017, pp. 193–198.
- K. Bajaj, B. Sharma, and R. Singh, Integration of WSN with IoT Applications: A Vision, Architecture, and Future Challenges. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2020, pp. 79–102.
- A. Alphonsa, and G. Ravi., "Earthquake Early Warning System by IOT using Wireless Sensor Networks," in International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WISPNET). India, March 2016, pp. 1201–1205.
- M. Majid, S. Habib, A. R. Javed, M. Rizwan, G. Srivastava, T. R. Gadekallu, and J. C.-W. Lin, "Applications of Wireless Sensor Networks and Internet of Things Frameworks in the Industry Revolution 4.0: A Systematic Literature Review," Sensors, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1–36, 2022.
- K. Haseeb, I. U. Din, A. Almogren, and N. Islam, "An Energy Efficient and Secure IoT-Based WSN Framework: An Application to Smart Agriculture," Sensors, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1–14, 2020.
- J. J. P. C. Rodrigues, D. B. R. Segundo, H. A. Junqueira, M. H. Sabino, R. M. Prince, J. Al-Muhtadi, and V. H. C. Albuquerque, "Enabling Technologies for the Internet of Health Things," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 13 129–13 141, 2018.
- S. Verma, S. Kaur, D. B. Rawat, C. Xi, L. T. Alex, and N. Z. Jhanjhi, "Intelligent Framework Using IoT-Based WSNs for Wildfire Detection," IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 48 185–48 195, 2021.
- Y. Gao, G. Kang, J. Cheng, and N. Zhang, "A new Energy Efficient Clustering Algorithm based on Routing Spanning Tree for Wireless Sensor Network," IEICE Transactions on Communications, vol. E100.B, pp. 1–12, 2017.
- A. Rady, E. L.-S. M. El-Rabaie, M. Shokair, and N. Abdel-Salam, "Comprehensive survey of routing protocols for Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks," International Journal of Communication Systems, vol. e4942, pp. 1–30, 2021.
- M. Gamal, N. E. Mekky, H. H. Soliman, and N. A. Hikal, "Enhancing the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks Using Fuzzy Logic LEACH Technique-Based Particle Swarm Optimization," IEEE Access, vol. 10, pp. 36 935–36 948, 2022.
- W. B. Heinzelman, A. P. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, "An Application-Specific Protocol Architecture for Wireless Microsensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on wireless communication, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 660–670, 2002.
- T. M. Behera, U. C. Samal, and S. K. Mohapatra, "Energy-efficient modified LEACH protocol for IoT application," IET Wireless Sensor Systems, vol. 8, no. 6, pp.223–228, 2018.
- S. E. Pour and R. Javidan, "A new energy aware cluster head selection for LEACH in wireless sensor networks," IET Wireless Sensor Systems, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2021.
- K. T. Kim, C. H. Lyu, S. S. Moon, and H. Y. Youn, "TreeBased Clustering (TBC) for Energy Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE 24th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (WAINA). Perth, Australia, April 2010, pp. 680–685.
- S. Lindsey and C. S. Raghavendra, "PEGASIS: Power Efficient GAthering in Sensor Information System," in IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings, March 2002, pp. 1125–1130.
- S. S. Satapathy and N. Sarma, "TREEPSI: TRee based Energy Efficient Protocol for Sensor Information," in IFIP International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Networks. India, April 2006, p. Siddhartha Sankar Satapathy and Nityananda Sarma.
- J. Xu, N. Jin, X. Lou, T. Peng, Q. Zhou, and Y. Chen, "Improvement of LEACH protocol for WSN," in The 9th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD). Chongqing, China, May 2012, pp. 2174–2177.
- H. Liang, S. Yang, L. Li, and J. Gao, "Research on routing optimization of WSNs based on improved LEACH protocol," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 194, pp. 1–12, 2019.
- W. Osamy, A. Salim, and A. M. Khedr, "An information entropy based-clustering algorithm for heterogeneous wireless sensor networks," Wireless Networks, vol. 26, p. 1869–1886, 2020.
- Tan, N, D.,& Viet, N, D. "SSTBC: Sleep Scheduled and Tree-Based Clustering Routing Protocol for Energy-Efficient in Wireless Sensor Networks", IEEE-RIVF International Conference on Computing and Communication Technologies, Cantho, Vietnam, 2015, pp. 180-185.
- Van-Hau, N, Nam, V. H., Linh, D, M., and Quy, V. K., (2021), An improved agent-based AODV routing protocol for MANET, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems, 8(27), 2021.
- Tan, N, D., Quy, K, V., Hung, P, N., & Vinh, L, V. (2021). Sector Tree-Based Clustering For Energy Efficient Routing Protocol in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Network, International Journal of Computer Networks & Communications (IJCNC), 13(5), 57-74.
- T. N. Nguyen, C. V. Ho, and T. T. T. Le, "A Topology Control Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Networks for IoT based Applications," in The International Symposium on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ISEE). Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 2019, pp. 141–145.
- VINT Project. (1997, aug) The network simulator - NS2. [Online]. Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns.
- T. José, A. R. L. Ribeiro and E. D. Moreno, "Performance Analysis and Application of Mobile Blockchain in Mobile Edge Computing Architecture", the 17th Conference on Computer Science and Intelligence Systems - Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 32, pp. 191-197, 2022.
- M. Khoshrangbaf, V. K. Akram and M. Challenger, "Ant Colony based Coverage Optimization in Wireless Sensor Networks", the 17th Conference on Computer Science and Intelligence Systems - Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 32, pp. 155-159, 2022.