Efficient Backoff Priority-based Medium Access Control Mechanism for IoT Sensor Networks
Thu-Hang T. Nguyen, Hai-Chau Le, Trong-Minh Hoang, Trinh Nguyen Chien
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 Seventh International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 33, pages 189–194 (2022)
Abstract. Recent rapid penetration of Internet of Things (IoT) in various fields such as smart homes, healthcare, and industrial applications has raised new challenges on the QoS requirements including data prioritization and energy saving. In IoT networks, data is heterogeneous and varies in a wide range of categories and urgency. More critical data must be served more quickly and reliably than regular data. In order to deal with crucial issues effectively and improve the performance of wireless sensor networks in IoT, we propose an efficient Backoff Priority-based Medium Access Control (BoP-MAC) scheme that supports multiple priority data and exploits the use of backoff mechanism. In our proposed solution, data priority is utilized to properly resize the backoff window at the MAC layer to ensure that high-priority data are transferred earlier and more reliably. Numerical simulations are used on OMNeT++ to verify the efficiency of our proposed BoP-MAC protocol in comparison with that of a notably conventional MAC protocol called Timeout Multi-priority-based MAC (TMPQ-MAC) protocol. The attained experimental results demonstrate that our developed BoP-MAC protocol outperforms the comparable conventional one and becomes more efficient for large-scale wireless sensor networks. It can effectively cope with various data priorities and enhance significantly the overall performance, in terms of latency, energy consumption, and packet success ratio, of the network.
- J. Manyika, M. Chui, P. Bisson, J. Woetzel, R. Dobbs, J. Bughin, and D. Aharon, “Unlocking the Potential of the Internet of Things,” McKinsey & Company, 2015. Accessed on: September 8, 2022. [Online]. Available: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-digital/our-insights/the-internet-of-things-the-value-of-digitizing-the-physical-world
- O. Ajayi, A. Bagula, I. Chukwubueze and H. Maluleke, "Priority Based Traffic Pre-emption System for Medical Emergency Vehicles in Smart Cities," 2020 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), 2020, pp. 1-7, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISCC50000.2020.9219628.
- K. F. Firdaus, S. A. Wibowo and K. Anwar, "Multiple Access Technique for IoT Networks Serving Prioritized Emergency Applications," 2019 IEEE 89th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2019-Spring), 2019, pp. 1-5, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/VTCSpring.2019.8746519.
- L. Chen, X. Dong, X. Kuang, B. Chen and D. Hong, "Towards Ubiquitous Power Distribution Communication: Multi-service Access and QoS Guarantees for IoT Applications in Smart Grid," 2019 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia (ISGT Asia), 2019, pp. 894-898, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISGT-Asia.2019.8881751.
- F. Shabnam, T. -U. Islam, S. Saha and H. Ishraque, "IoT Based Smart Home Automation and Demand Based Optimum Energy Harvesting and Management Technique," 2020 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), 2020, pp. 1800-1803, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TENSYMP50017.2020.9230940.
- A. Kumar, M. Zhao, K. Wong, Y. L. Guan and P. H. J. Chong, "A Comprehensive Study of IoT and WSN MAC Protocols: Research Issues, Challenges and Opportunities," in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 76228-76262, 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2883391.
- N. T. T. Hang, N. C. Trinh and N. T. Ban, "Energy aware event driven routing protocol and dynamic delivering scheme for multievent wireless sensor network," 2018 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Signal Processing, Telecommunications & Computing (SigTelCom), 2018, pp. 224-229, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SIGTELCOM.2018.8325795.
- S. K. Swain and P. K. Nanda, "Adaptive Queue Management and Traffic Class Priority Based Fairness Rate Control in Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 112607-112623, 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3102033.
- M. B. Attia, K. -K. Nguyen and M. Cheriet, "Dynamic QoE/QoS-Aware Queuing for Heterogeneous Traffic in Smart Home," in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 58990-59001, 2019, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2914658.
- T. C. Nguyen, H. -C. Le, S. Sarang, M. Drieberg and T. -H. T. Nguyen, "Priority and Traffic-Aware Contention-Based Medium Access Control Scheme for Multievent Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Access, vol. 10, pp. 87361-87373, 2022, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3199385.
- Kim S.C., Jeon J.H., Park H.J., "QoS Aware Energy-Efficient (QAEE) MAC Protocol for Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks," Convergence and Hybrid Information Technology (ICHIT 2012), Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 7425, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-32645-5_6.
- A. N. Sakib, M. Drieberg, S. Sarang, A. A. Aziz, N. T. T. Hang, and G. M. Stojanović, “Energy-Aware QoS MAC Protocol Based on Prioritized-Data and Multi-Hop Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Sensors, vol. 22, no. 7, p. 2598, 2022, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/s22072598.
- M. Rasheed, I. U. Din, M. Adnan, A. Tariq, S. Malik and I. Syed, "ECM-MAC: An Efficient Collision Mitigation Strategy in Contention Based MAC Protocol," in IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 62880-62889, 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3074812.
- Q. Huamei, F. Linlin, Y. Zhengyi, Y. Weiwei, W. Jia, “An energy-efficient MAC protocol based on receiver initiation and multi-priority backoff for wireless sensor networks,” in IET Communications, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. 2503-2512, 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/cmu2.12283.
- I. Syed, S. Shin, B. Roh and M. Adnan, "Performance Improvement of QoS-Enabled WLANs Using Adaptive Contention Window Backoff Algorithm," in IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 3260-3270, Dec. 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2017.2694859
- Trong-Minh Hoang, Van-Truong Nguyen, Nhu-Giap Nguyen and Tuan-Nguyen Lang, “Analysing the performance of unslotted sensor networks based on the IEEE 802.15.4 employed EIED algorithm,” 2017 International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN), 2017, pp. 682-685, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICOIN.2017.7899582.
- Trong-Minh Hoang, Van-Kien Bui, and Thanh-Tra Nguyen, “The performance evaluation of an IEEE 802.11 network containing misbehavior nodes under different backoff algorithms," Security and Communication Networks, 2017, vol. 2017, Article ID 2459780, 8 pages, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2017/2459780
- Wei Ye, J. Heidemann and D. Estrin, "Medium access control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor networks," in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 493-506, June 2004, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2004.828953.
- G. Bianchi, "IEEE 802.11-saturation throughput analysis," in IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 318-320, Dec. 1998, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/4234.736171.
- T. Boulis, Castalia Version 3.3 Master. Access: September 8, 2022. [Online]. Available: https://github.com/boulis/Castalia/releases/tag/3.3
- Texas Instruments. “CC2420 single-chip 2.4 GHz RF transceiver,” Accessed on: September 8, 2022, [Online] Available: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc2420.pdf