A DNA Steganography Algorithm Based on The DNA-XOR Technique
Vinh-Quy Nguyen, Dinh-Chien Nguyen, Viet-Hung Dang, Thanh-Hue Nguyen Thi, Thu-Hang Phan Thi, Dinh-Thinh Luu
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 Seventh International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 33, pages 21–24 (2022)
Abstract. Steganography is the technique of concealing secret data in a physical object, such as a database, video, image, audio, QR code, and DNA sequence…. The DNA sequence is also considered for data hiding problems with the strong development of Bioinformatics. Many proposed algorithms to conceal data in DNA and RNA sequences, but they could not increase the amount of hidden data. In this study, we propose a DNA steganography algorithm for improving the embedded capacity in the DNA sequence. The algorithm uses the DNA-XOR technique based on the XOR operation. The secret data are encoded to a DNA sequence and then matched with the original DNA sequence by DNA-XOR operation to make a new DNA sequence. By this algorithm, we can embed two bits for each nucleotide. Moreover, with many kinds of combinations of nucleotides, the algorithm shows that the proposed method also improves the security of hidden data.
- T. S. Nguyen, C. C. Chang, M. C. Lin, “Adaptive lossless data-hiding and compression scheme for SMVQ indices using SOC,” Smart Comput. Review, vol. 4, nno. 3, pp. 230-245, 2014.
- J. Mielikainen, “LSB matching revisited,” IEEE Signal Process. Letts., vol. 13, pp. 285–287, 2006.
- C. C. Chang, T. S. Nguyen, “A reversible data hiding scheme for SMVQ indices,” Informatica, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 523-540, 2014.
- C. V. Nguyen, D. Tay, and G. Deng, “A fast watermarking system for H.264/AVC video,” in Proc. IEEE APCCAS, Dec. 2006, pp. 81–84.
- M. Fallahpour, M. David, "Reversible data hiding based on H. 264/AVC Intra prediction." Digital Watermarking. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 52-60, 2008.
- Chien. N. D, Son N. T, & Hsu F. R, “An algorithm for DNA sequence hiding in H. 264/AVC video.” In Proceedings of the Seventh Symposium on Information and Communication Technology ACM, pp. 229-234, December 2016.
- J.D. Watson, F.H.C. Crick, “Molecular structure of Nucleic acids: A structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid,” Nature 171 (1953), pp. 737, 738.
- Church, G. M., Gao, Y., & Kosuri, S., “Next-generation digital information storage in DNA,” Science, 337(6102), 1628-1628, 2012.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- Ensembl, http://www.ensembl.org/downloads.html
- Shimanovsky, B., Feng, J., & Potkonjak, M., “Hiding data in DNA” International Workshop on Information Hiding (pp. 373-386). Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2002.
- Shiu, H. J., Ng, K. L., Fang, J. F., Lee, R. C., & Huang, C. H., “Data hiding methods based upon DNA sequences,” Information Sciences, 180(11), 2196-2208, 2010.
- Haughton, D., & Balado, F., “BioCode: Two biologically compatible Algorithms for embedding data in non-coding and coding regions of DNA,” BMC bioinformatics, 14(1), 121, 2013.
- Wang, Z., Zhao, X., Wang, H., & Cui, G., “Information hiding based on DNA steganography,” Software Engineering and Service Science (ICSESS), 2013 4th IEEE International Conference on (pp. 946-949). IEEE, 2013.
- Najaftorkaman, M., & Kazazi, N. S., “A method to encrypt information with DNA-based cryptography,” International Journal of Cyber-Security and Digital Forensics, 4(3), 417-427, 2015.
- UbaidurRahman, N. H., Balamurugan, C., & Mariappan, R., “A novel string matrix data structure for DNA encoding algorithm,” Procedia Computer Science, 46, 820-832, 2015.
- Huang, Y. H., Chang, C. C., & Wu, C. Y., “A DNA-based data hiding technique with low modification rates,” Multimedia tools and applications, 70(3), 1439-1451, 2014.
- Liu, H., Lin, D., & Kadir, A., “A novel data hiding method based on deoxyribonucleic acid coding,” Computers & Electrical Engineering, 39(4), 1164-1173, 2013.
- Al-Harbi, O. A., Alahmadi, W. E., & Aljahdali, A. O. “Security analysis of DNA based steganography techniques.” SN Applied Sciences, 2(2), 1-10, 2020.
- S. Singh and Y. Sharma, "A Review on DNA-based Cryptography for Data hiding," 2019 International Conference on Intelligent Sustainable Systems (ICISS), Palladam, Tamilnadu, India, pp. 282-285, 2019.
- Tabatabaei, S. K., Wang, B., Athreya, N. B. M., Enghiad, B., Hernandez, A. G., Fields, C. J., ... & Milenkovic, O. (2020). DNA Punch Cards: Storing Data on Native DNA Sequences via Nicking. BioRxiv, 672394.