Analyzing Control Structures of SSSCs for Fast Compensation in the Case of Unbalanced Voltage Sag in Power System
Trinh Tran Duy, Nguyen Huu Thai, Trung Vo Tien, Dung Vo Tien, Minh Vu Thi, Tuyen Bui Trung
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 Seventh International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 33, pages 1–6 (2022)
Abstract. Fast compensation of voltage sag on the three-phase electric power caused by different faults is a problem studied to ensure that loads work normally. This paper introduces two vector control structures for Series synchronous static compensators (SSSC): the PI controller on the dq reference frame and the Sequence-decoupled resonant (SDR) controller on the αβ reference frame. An analysis was performed to compare the two control structures to evaluate their qualities and advantages. Based on that conclusion, we propose a solution to apply suitably to controllers of SSSC devices. The control structures are simulated in Matlab/Simulink. The simulation results verified our analyses and evaluations. From there, this paper presents a recommended control structure for SSSC.
- Bhattacharyya, S., Myrzik, J. M. A., & Kling, W. L. (2007, September). Consequences of poor power quality-an overview. In 2007 42nd International Universities Power Engineering Conference (pp. 651-656). IEEE.
- Strzelecki, R. M. (Ed.). (2008). Power electronics in smart electrical energy networks. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Duy, T. T., Tien, D. V., Gono, R., & Leonowicz, Z. (2016, June). Mitigating voltage sags due to short circuits using dynamic voltage restorer. In 2016 IEEE 16th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC) (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Ye, J., Gooi, H. B., Wang, B., Li, Y., & Liu, Y. (2019). Elliptical restoration based single-phase dynamic voltage restorer for source power factor correction. Electric Power Systems Research, 166, 199-209.
- Wang, F., Benhabib, M. C., Duarte, J. L., & Hendrix, M. A. (2009, February). Sequence-decoupled resonant controller for three-phase grid-connected inverters. In 2009 Twenty-Fourth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (pp. 121-127). IEEE.
- Vo Tien, D., Gono, R., Leonowicz, Z., Tran Duy, T., & Martirano, L. (2018). Advanced control of the dynamic voltage restorer for mitigating voltage sags in power systems. Advances in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 16(1), 36-45.
- Duy, T. T., Trung, T. B., & Tien, D. V. (2021, August). Voltage Sag Reduction using a Dynamic Voltage Restorer under Different Types of Faults in The Power System. In 2021 International Conference on System Science and Engineering (ICSSE) (pp. 246-251). IEEE.
- Lee, G. M., Lee, D. C., & Seok, J. K. (2004). Control of series active power filters compensating for source voltage unbalance and current harmonics. IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, 51(1), 132-139.