Innovative Development of a Flying robot with a Flexible Manipulator for Aerial Manipulations
Yavor Yotov, Nikolay Zlatov, Georgi Hristov, Plamen Zahariev, Chi Hieu Le, James Gao, Anh My Chu, Ho Quang Nguyen, Le Minh Huynh, Jamaluddin Mahmud, Trung Thanh Bui, Michael S. Packianather
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 Seventh International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 33, pages 49–54 (2022)
Abstract. This paper presents an innovative development of a flying robot or an aerial robot, with a flexible manipulator, called the Dexterous Aerial Robotic System (DFTS), for aerial manipulations, especially for inspections and reparations of various structures such as wind turbines, power lines and open gas pipelines, decorations and painting of high industrial chimneys and walls of high buildings, as well as transport and delivery of courier shipments, relocation and manipulation of assemblies and units in inaccessible or dangerous environments. The proposed DFTS consists of two independent but interconnected systems or functional units, which have two main separate functions respectively, including a basic carrying function, and a precise positioning and stabilization function. The system with a basic carrying function is actually the main flying system, the un-manned aerial vehicle (UAV); it is remotely controlled and piloted. Meanwhile, the aerial manipulation platform, called the vertical take-off and landing platform VTOL, which is an active flying platform with 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) is used for positioning and stabilization; and it is attached to the UAV via the soft link. With the use of a long soft link, the problems which are caused by the air turbulent flows generated by the UAV are minimized, and the aerial manipulations of objects are safely controlled and operated. The VTOL which is equipped with a grasping mechanism was successfully developed, prototyped and tested. The experimental results showed that, the developed VTOL can self-stabilize with the inclination angle of being up to 8 degrees.
- Chi Hieu Le et al. (2020) Challenges and conceptual framework to develop heavy-load manipulators for smart factories. International Journal of Mechatronics and Applied Mechanics, 2020 (8), 209-216.
- Daniel Arey et al. (2021) Lean industry 4.0: a digital value stream approach to process improvement. Procedia Manufacturing, 54, 2021, 19-24.
- AbdullatifBaba (2022) A new design of a flying robot, with advanced computer vision techniques to perform self-maintenance of smart grids. Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences: 34 (5), 2022, 2252-2261.
- Nursultan Imanberdiyev et al. (2022) Design, development and experimental validation of a lightweight dual-arm aerial manipulator with a COG balancing mechanism. Mechatronics: 82, 2022, 102719.
- Jian Liu et al. (2021) A multi-finger robot system for adaptive landing gear and aerial manipulation. Robotics and Autonomous Systems: 146, 2021, 103878.
- Anh My Chu et al. (2020) ) A novel mathematical approach for finite element formulation of flexible robot dynamics. Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, An International Journal, 50 (11), 2022, 3747-3767.
- Alejandro Suarez et al. (2018) Design of a lightweight dual arm system for aerial manipulation. Mechatronics 50, 2018, 30–44.
- Hai-N. Nguyen et al. (2018) A novel robotic platform for aerial manipulation using quadrotors as rotating thrust generators, IEEE Trans. Robot 34 (2), 2018, 353–369.
- AEROARMS (2022) Aerial robotic system integrating multiple arms and advanced manipulation capabilities for inspection and maintenance. Available at https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/644271 [Access: 9/2022].
- Anh My Chu et al. (2020) Kinematic and dynamic modelling for a class of hybrid robots composed of m local closed-loop linkages appended to an n-link serial manipulator. Applied Sciences 10(7), 2567.
- Anh My Chu et al. (2019) An efficient finite element formulation of dynamics for a flexible robot with different type of joints. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 134, 2019, 267-288.
- Anh My Chu (2019) Novel robot arm design and implementation for hot forging press automation. International Journal of Production Research, 57 (14): 4579-4593.
- Arey Daniel et al. (2019) An Investigation into the Adoption of Automation in the Aerospace Manufacturing Industry. In: Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXXIII. IOS Press, 87-92.
- Minh Duc Vu et al. (2021) a conceptual digital twin for cost-effective development of a welding robotic system for smart manufacturing. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Springer Nature, 1018-1025.