Towards an insight into the adoption of Open Innovation by SMEs in Vietnam
Phuong Thanh Do, Ha Anh Le, Nguyen Ngan Ha Pham, Le Chau Tran, Tien Dat Le, Thi Bich Hanh Tran
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Viet Ha Hoang, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Shivani Agarwal (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 34, pages 99–105 (2022)
Abstract. This study aims to identify the influential factors of OI adoption by SMEs in Vietnam, in order to provide useful theoretical and practical recommendations for SMEs to adopt OI effectively. Based on a survey of 56 Vietnamese SMEs, this study identified two drivers including improving capability and expanding network orientation, and four main barriers, including knowledge, collaboration, organisation, and financial strategy. Notably, the study found that collaboration barriers and network expansion orientation are factors that vastly impact the adoption of OI.
- OECD, "Report on SME and Entrepreneurship Policy in Viet Nam", OECD Studies on SMEs and Entrepreneurship, 2021. http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1787/20780990.
- S. Bresciani and A. Ferraris, "Innovation-receiving subsidiaries and dual embeddedness: impact on business performance", Innovation-receiving subsidiaries and dual embeddedness: impact on business performance. ResearchGate, 2016.
- V. Parida, M. Westerberg and J. Frishammar, "Inbound OI Activities in High-Tech SMEs: The Impact on Innovation Performance", Journal of Small Business Management, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 283-309, 2012. Available10.1111/j.1540-627x.2012.00354.x
- J. West, A. Salter, W. Vanhaverbeke and H. Chesbrough, "Open Innovation: The Next Decade", Research policy, vol. 43, no. 5, p. 2, 2014. Available: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3121497. [Accessed 11 November 2021].
- Publishing and Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Oslo manual. Paris: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 2005, p. 46.
- G. Santoro, A. Ferraris, E. Giacosa and G. Giovando, "How SMEs Engage in Open Innovation: A Survey", Journal of the Knowledge Economy, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 561-574, 2016. Available: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13132-015-0350-8. [Accessed 12 November 2021].
- D. Nguyen and N. Manh Cuong, "Đổi mới sáng tạo và cơ hội áp dụng tại Việt Nam", Đổi mới sáng tạo và cơ hội áp dụng tại Việt Nam. JSTP, 2015.
- World Bank and OECD, "Đánh giá Khoa học, Công nghệ và Đổi mới sáng tạo ở Việt Nam Tóm tắt báo cáo", World Bank and OECD, 2014.
- BambuUp and NSSC, "Báo cáo toàn cảnh đổi mới sáng tạo mở Việt Nam", BambuUp, 2021.
- R. Stanisławski, “Open Innovation as a Value Chain for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Determinants of the Use of Open Innovation”, Sustainability, vol. 12, no. 8, p. 3290, 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su12083290.
- B. Bigliardi and F. Galati, "Which factors hinder the adoption of open innovation in SMEs?", Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. ResearchGate, 2016.
- W. Novandari, P. Suliyanto and M. Kartawan, "Driving factors of open innovation adoption on MSMEs in Indonesia", Driving factors of open innovation adoption on MSMEs in Indonesia. ResearchGate, 2021.
- H. Chesbrough, Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2003.
- V. Van de Vrande, P. De Jong, W. Vanhaverbeke, and M. De Rochemont, “Open innovation in SMEs: trends, motives and management challenges”, Technovation, vol. 29, no.6, pp. 423–437, 2009.
- M. Usman, N. Roijakkers, W. Vanhaverbeke, and F. Frattini, “A Systematic Review of the Literature on Open Innovation in SMEs”, pp. 3–35, 2018.
- I. Savitskaya, P. Salmi, and M. Torkkeli, “Barriers to Open Innovation: Case China”, Journal of Technology Management & Innovation, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 10–21, 2010.
- P. Teirlinck and A. Spithoven, “Research Collaboration and R&D Outsourcing: Different R&D Personnel Requirements in SMEs.”, Technovation, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 142–153, 2013.
- C. Verbano, M. Crema, and K. Venturini, “The Identification and Characterization of Open Innovation Profiles in Italian Small and Medium-sized Enterprises.”Journal of Small Business Management. vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1052–1075, 2015.
- W. Novandari, P. Suliyanto, M. Kartawan, “Driving factors of open innovation adoption on MSMEs in Indonesia”, Opción, no. 14, 2018.
- V. Parida, M. Westerberg, and J. Frishammar, “Inbound Open Innovation Activities in High-Tech MSMEs: The Impact on Innovation Performance”, Journal of Small Business Management, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 283-309, 2012.
- A. Drechsler, “Design Science as Design of Social Systems—Implications for Information Systems Research”, Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 5-26, 2013.
- T. Holzmann, K. Sailer, and B. Katzy, “Matchmaking as multi-sided market for open innovation”, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 601-615, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09537325.2014.913786.
- M. Praest Knudsen and T. Bøtker Mortensen, "Some immediate – but negative – effects of openness on product development performance", Technovation, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 54-64, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2010.07.002.
- M. Schilling, Strategic management of technological innovation, 4th edn. New York University, New York, 2013.
- H. Chesbrough and A. Crowther, "Beyond high tech: early adopters of open innovation in other industries", R and D Management, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 229-236, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2006.00428.x.
- L. Mortara, J. J. Napp, I. Slacik and T. Minshall, “How to Implement Open Innovation: lessons from studying large multinational companies”, Unilever and the Cambridge Integrated Knowledge Centre. Cambridge, U.K, 2009.
- H. W. Chesbrough, Open Business Models: How to Thrive in The New Innovation Landscape. Harvard Business Press, 2006.
- C. Cheng and E. Shiu, "The inconvenient truth of the relationship between open innovation activities and innovation performance", Management Decision, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 625-647, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/md-03-2014-0163.
- V. Scuotto, M. Del Giudice, S. Bresciani, and D. Meissner, “Knowledge-driven preferences in informal inbound open innovation modes. An explorative view on small to medium enterprises”, Journal of Knowledge Management, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 640–655, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/jkm-10-2016-0465.
- P. Skarzynski, R, Gibson, Innovation to the Core: A Blueprint for Transforming the Way Your Company Innovates. Harvard Business Press, 2008.
- I. Barreto, "Dynamic Capabilities: A Review of Past Research and an Agenda for the Future", Journal of Management, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 256-280, 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0149206309350776.
- B. Lawson and D. Samson, DEVELOPING INNOVATION CAPABILITY IN ORGANISATIONS: A DYNAMIC CAPABILITIES APPROACH, International Journal of Innovation Management, vol. 05, no. 03, pp. 377-400, 2001. http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S1363919601000427.
- M. Saunila and J. Ukko, "A conceptual framework for the measurement of innovation capability and its effects", Baltic Journal of Management, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 355-375, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17465261211272139.
- M. Grimaldi, I. Quinto and P. Rippa, "Enabling Open Innovation in Small and Medium Enterprises: A Dynamic Capabilities Approach", Knowledge and Process Management, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 199-210, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/kpm.1423.
- U. Westergren and J. Holmström, "Exploring preconditions for open innovation: Value networks in industrial firms", Information and Organization, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 209-226, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infoandorg.2012.05.001
- S. Lee, G. Park, B. Yoon and J. Park, "Open innovation in SMEs—An intermediated network model", Research Policy, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 290-300, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2009.12.009.
- P. Koen, H. Bertels & E. Kleinschmidt, “Managing the Front End of Innovation—Part II: Results from a Three-Year Study”, Research-TechnologyManagement, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 25-35, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5437/08956308X5703199.
- G. Perkins, J. Lean and R. Newbery, "The Role of Organizational Vision in Guiding Idea Generation within SME Contexts", Creativity and Innovation Management, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 75-90, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/caim.12206.
- D. Jones-Evans, A. Gkikas, M. Rhisiart and N. MacKenzie, “Chapter 13: Measuring Open Innovation in SMEs”, Researching Open Innovation in SMEs, pp. 399-427, 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/9789813230972_0013.
- P. Soh, "The role of networking alliances in information acquisition and its implications for new product performance", Journal of Business Venturing, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 727-744, 2003. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0883-9026(03)00026-0.
- J. Christiansen and M. Gasparin, "Managing Controversies in the Fuzzy Front End", Creativity and Innovation Management, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 500-514, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/caim.12174.
- T. D. Au, “A PRIMARY RESEARCH ON OPEN INNOVATION ACTIVITIES OF SMEs”, Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 109, 2016.
- T. D. Au, “Using open innovation model to enhance knowledgesharing in Vietnam University”, Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 241-247, 2016.