Factors Affecting The Decision On The Use Of Electronic Wallet By People In Danang City
Le Tan Trinh, Kim Mai Thy Huynh, Kim Minh Khoi Nguyen, Ngoc Trinh Ho, Thi Tuyet Chi Chau, Vu Luan Nguyen
Citation: Proceedings of the 2022 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Viet Ha Hoang, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Shivani Agarwal (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 34, pages 263–273 (2022)
Abstract. The trend of non-cash payments is increasing in popularity; yet, the limited number of e-wallet users in Danang City is due to numerous barriers. This study intends to identify the elements that affect people's behavioral intentions to use e-wallet in Danang. The research employed both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. For qualitative study, we utilized grounded theory, which is comprised of seventy prior studies; for quantitative research, 204 respondents in Danang City, who are users of the e-wallet program, responded to the structured questionnaire. Perceived simplicity, perceived usefulness, perceived security, social impact, attitude, and enabling conditions are all put to the test. Intentions to use an electronic wallet are heavily influenced by five factors: simplicity of use, security, usefulness, social impact, and enabling conditions. The study explores potential variables that influence e-wallet usage intentions and presents an integrated framework for this aspect. Thus, it becomes a reliable resource for future research. The findings of this study will help e-wallet providers increase e-wallet usage
- H. L. T. Lan, H. T. Thi Van, and H. T. T. Phuong, “Factors Influencing the Intention to Choose E-Wallet in Shopping Online: Case Study of Ha Noi Citizens,” in Management for Sustainable and Inclusive Development in a Transforming Asia, H. Shioji, D. R. Adhikari, F. Yoshino, and T. Hayashi, Eds. Singapore: Springer Singapore, 2021, pp. 311–326. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-8195-3_18.
- F. Nizam, H. J. Hwang, and N. Valaei, “Measuring the Effectiveness of E-Wallet in Malaysia,” in Big Data, Cloud Computing, Data Science & Engineering, vol. 786, R. Lee, Ed. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019, pp. 59–69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96803-2_5.
- W. I. Mahwadha, “Behavioral intention of young consumers towards E-Wallet adoption: an empirical study among Indonesian users,” Russian Journal of Agricultural and Socio-Economic Sciences, vol. 85, no. 1, 2019.
- Bansal, Bruno, Denecker, and Niederkorn, “Global payments trends: Expansive growth, targeted opportunities | McKinsey,” 2017. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/financial-services/our-insights/global-payments-expansive-growth-targeted-opportunities (accessed Dec. 03, 2021).
- “Vietnam | Data.” https://data.worldbank.org/country/vietnam?view=chart (accessed Dec. 04, 2021).
- A. Ather, B. Patel, N. B. Ruparel, A. Diogenes, and K. M. Hargreaves, “Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19): Implications for Clinical Dental Care,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 584–595, May 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2020.03.008.
- D. Brown, “Can cash carry coronavirus? World Health Organization says use digital payments when possible,” USA TODAY, 2020. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/06/coronavirus-covid-19-concerns-over-using-cash/4973975002/ (accessed Dec. 03, 2021).
- “Toàn cảnh ngành Ví điện tử (E-wallet) tại Việt Nam 2021,” Tomorrow Marketers, Sep. 16, 2021. https://blog.tomorrowmarketers.org/toan-canh-nganh-vi-dien-tu-e-wallet-viet-nam-2021/ (accessed Nov. 20, 2021).
- Đào T. T. H., “Mô hình chấp nhận sử dụng ví điện tử trong thanh toán của khách hàng cá nhân – trường hợp tại TP. Đà Nẵng,” Nhà xuất bản Đà Nẵng, Working Paper, 2019. Accessed: Nov. 14, 2021. [Online]. Available: http://thuvien.vku.udn.vn//handle/123456789/997
- “Quyết định 2545/QĐ-TTg Đề án phát triển thanh toán không dùng tiền mặt 2016 2020,” 2016. https://thuvienphapluat.vn/van-ban/Tien-te-Ngan-hang/Quyet-dinh-2545-QD-TTg-De-an-phat-trien-thanh-toan-khong-dung-tien-mat-2016-2020-336430.aspx (accessed Dec. 03, 2021).
- H. Hoang, “The Cashless Economy in Vietnam - The Situation and Policy Implications,” Journal of Reviews on Global Economics, vol. 9, pp. 216–223, Jun. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.6000/1929-7092.2020.09.20.
- “Sự tăng trưởng của ví điện tử trong tiêu dùng Việt Nam,” 2019. http://consosukien.vn/su-tang-truong-cua-vi-dien-tu-trong-tieu-dung-viet-nam.htm?fbclid=IwAR3Lg2KLUDjB3T8paQFceFHjWK4rPhB4amgAr1lJEomwXN06wrcVrclkvd0 (accessed Dec. 03, 2021).
- Lan Huong, “Việt Nam xếp thứ 2 thế giới về số người dân chưa tiếp cận dịch vụ ngân hàng,” 2021. https://laodong.vn/kinh-te/viet-nam-xep-thu-2-the-gioi-ve-so-nguoi-dan-chua-tiep-can-dich-vu-ngan-hang-927446.ldo (accessed Dec. 03, 2021).
- L.-Y. Leong, T.-S. Hew, G. W.-H. Tan, and K.-B. Ooi, “Predicting the determinants of the NFC-enabled mobile credit card acceptance: A neural networks approach,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 40, no. 14, pp. 5604–5620, 2013.
- F. D. Davis, “Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 13, no. 3, p. 319, Sep. 1989, http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/249008.
- Junadi and Sfenrianto, “A Model of Factors Influencing Consumer’s Intention To Use E-payment System in Indonesia,” Procedia Computer Science, vol. 59, pp. 214–220, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.07.557.
- N. Ramya, D. Sivasakthi, and M. Nandhini, “Cashless transaction: Modes, advantages and disadvantages,” International Journal of Applied Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 122–125, 2017.
- N. Park, M. Rhoads, J. Hou, and K. M. Lee, “Understanding the acceptance of teleconferencing systems among employees: An extension of the technology acceptance model,” Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 39, pp. 118–127, Oct. 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.05.048.
- A. S. Kustono, A. Y. A. Nanggala, and I. Mas’ud, “Determinants of the Use of E-Wallet for Transaction Payment among College Students,” JEBAV, vol. 23, no. 1, Jul. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.14414/jebav.v23i1.2245.
- P. C. Lai, “THE LITERATURE REVIEW OF TECHNOLOGY ADOPTION MODELS AND THEORIES FOR THE NOVELTY TECHNOLOGY,” JISTEM J.Inf.Syst. Technol. Manag., vol. 14, pp. 21–38, Apr. 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.4301/S1807-17752017000100002.
- F. Muñoz-Leiva, S. Climent-Climent, and F. Liébana-Cabanillas, “Determinants of intention to use the mobile banking apps: An extension of the classic TAM model,” Spanish Journal of Marketing - ESIC, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 25–38, Feb. 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sjme.2016.12.001.
- A. T. To and T. H. M. Trinh, “Understanding behavioral intention to use mobile wallets in vietnam: Extending the tam model with trust and enjoyment,” Cogent Business & Management, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 1891661, Jan. 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2021.1891661.
- Y. Wang, Q. Zhao, and D. Zheng, “Bottlenecks in production networks: An overview,” J. Syst. Sci. Syst. Eng., vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 347–363, Sep. 2005, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11518-006-0198-3.
- S. Liao, J.-C. Hong, M.-H. Wen, Y.-C. Pan, and Y.- Wu, “Applying Technology Acceptance Model (TAM) to explore Users’ Behavioral Intention to Adopt a Performance Assessment System for E-book Production,” EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed, vol. 14, no. 10, p. em1601, Jul. 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/93575.
- M. Yang, A. A. Mamun, M. Mohiuddin, N. C. Nawi, and N. R. Zainol, “Cashless Transactions: A Study on Intention and Adoption of e-Wallets,” Sustainability, vol. 13, no. 2, p. 831, Jan. 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su13020831.
- İ. Daştan and C. Gürler, “Factors Affecting the Adoption of Mobile Payment Systems: An Empirical Analysis,” emaj, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 17–24, Feb. 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.5195/EMAJ.2016.95.
- V. Soodan and A. Rana, “Modeling Customers’ Intention to Use E-Wallet in a Developing Nation: Extending UTAUT2 With Security, Privacy and Savings,” JECO, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 89–114, Jan. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/JECO.2020010105.
- K.-B. Ooi and G. W.-H. Tan, “Mobile technology acceptance model: An investigation using mobile users to explore smartphone credit card,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 59, pp. 33–46, Oct. 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2016.04.015.
- S. M. K and D. S. R, “The Study of E-Commerce Security Issues and Solutions,” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, vol. 4, no. 27, Apr. 2018, Accessed: Nov. 16, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.ijert.org/research/the-study-of-e-commerce-security-issues-and-solutions-IJERTCONV4IS27016.pdf, https://www.ijert.org/the-study-of-e-commerce-security-issues-and-solutions
- A. Kumar, A. Adlakaha, and K. Mukherjee, “The effect of perceived security and grievance redressal on continuance intention to use M-wallets in a developing country,” IJBM, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1170–1189, Sep. 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-04-2017-0077.
- N. N. D. Phuong, L. T. Luan, V. V. Dong, and N. L. N. Khanh, “Examining Customers’ Continuance Intentions towards E-wallet Usage: The Emergence of Mobile Payment Acceptance in Vietnam,” The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 505–516, 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no9.505.
- K. Madan and R. Yadav, “Behavioural intention to adopt mobile wallet: a developing country perspective,” JIBR, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 227–244, Aug. 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JIBR-10-2015-0112.
- M. Karim, A. Haque, M. Ulfy, M. Hossain, and M. Anis, “Factors Influencing the Use of E-wallet as a Payment Method among Malaysian Young Adults,” JIBM, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1–12, Mar. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.37227/jibm-2020-2-21/.
- F. Liébana-Cabanillas, V. Marinkovic, I. Ramos de Luna, and Z. Kalinic, “Predicting the determinants of mobile payment acceptance: A hybrid SEM-neural network approach,” Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 129, pp. 117–130, Apr. 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.12.015.
- D. S. Soegoto and M. P. Tampubolon, “E-Wallet as a Payment Instrument in the Millennial Era,” IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., vol. 879, p. 012139, Aug. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/879/1/012139.
- N. Abdullah, F. Redzuan, and N. A. Daud, “E-wallet: factors influencing user acceptance towards cashless society in Malaysia among public universities,” Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, vol. 20, no. 1, Art. no. 1, Oct. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.11591/ijeecs.v20.i1.pp67-74.
- A. Taufan and R. Yuwono, “Analysis of Factors That Affect Intention to Use e-Wallet through the Technology Acceptance Model Approach (Case Study: GO-PAY),” International Journal of Science and Research, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 413–419, Aug. 2019, http://dx.doi.org/10.21275/ART2020219.
- S. Undale, A. Kulkarni, and H. Patil, “Perceived eWallet security: impact of COVID-19 pandemic,” XJM, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 89–104, Mar. 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/XJM-07-2020-0022.
- Venkatesh, Morris, Davis, and Davis, “User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 27, no. 3, p. 425, 2003, http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/30036540.
- A. M. Baabdullah, A. A. Alalwan, N. P. Rana, H. Kizgin, and P. Patil, “Consumer use of mobile banking (M-Banking) in Saudi Arabia: Towards an integrated model,” International Journal of Information Management, vol. 44, pp. 38–52, Feb. 2019, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2018.09.002.
- S. Khanra, A. Dhir, P. Kaur, and R. P. Joseph, “Factors influencing the adoption postponement of mobile payment services in the hospitality sector during a pandemic,” Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, vol. 46, pp. 26–39, Mar. 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2020.11.004.
- E. Laywilla, J. Singh, and B. Yin-Fah, “Drivers of Intention to Adopt Mobile Wallet: A Quantitative Study Among Females in Jakarta,” International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science (2147-4478), vol. 10, pp. 804–820, Nov. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.6007/IJARBSS/v10-i11/8061.
- K. Tan et al., “E-Wallet Acceptance among Undergraduates in Malaysia,” Jun. 2020.
- M. Widodo, M. I. Irawan, and R. Ambarwati Sukmono, “Extending UTAUT2 to Explore Digital Wallet Adoption in Indonesia,” in 2019 International Conference on Information and Communications Technology (ICOIACT), Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Jul. 2019, pp. 878–883. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICOIACT46704.2019.8938415.
- P. Patil, K. Tamilmani, N. P. Rana, and V. Raghavan, “Understanding consumer adoption of mobile payment in India: Extending Meta-UTAUT model with personal innovativeness, anxiety, trust, and grievance redressal,” International Journal of Information Management, vol. 54, p. 102144, Oct. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2020.102144.
- P. Intarot and C. Beikhaimook, “Influencing Factor in E-Wallet Acceptant and Use,” Int. j. bus. adm. stud, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 167–175, 2018, http://dx.doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.4.10004-4.
- S. Megadewandanu, Suyoto, and Pranowo, “Exploring mobile wallet adoption in Indonesia using UTAUT2: An approach from consumer perspective,” in 2016 2nd International Conference on Science and Technology-Computer (ICST), Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Oct. 2016, pp. 11–16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSTC.2016.7877340.
- S. Peng, A. Yang, L. Cao, S. Yu, and D. Xie, “Social influence modeling using information theory in mobile social networks,” Information Sciences, vol. 379, pp. 146–159, Feb. 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2016.08.023.
- N. Singh, N. Sinha, and F. J. Liébana-Cabanillas, “Determining factors in the adoption and recommendation of mobile wallet services in India: Analysis of the effect of innovativeness, stress to use and social influence,” International Journal of Information Management, vol. 50, pp. 191–205, Feb. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.05.022.
- Y. K. Dwivedi, N. P. Rana, M. Janssen, B. Lal, M. D. Williams, and M. Clement, “An empirical validation of a unified model of electronic government adoption (UMEGA),” Government Information Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 211–230, Apr. 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2017.03.001.
- O. S. Fadairo, N. S. Olutegbe, and A. M. Tijani, “Attitude of crop farmers towards e-wallet platform of the Growth Enhancement Support Scheme for input delivery in Oke-Ogun area of Oyo state,” Journal of Agricultural Informatics, vol. 6, no. 2, Art. no. 2, Jun. 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.17700/jai.2015.6.2.184.
- D. Lestari, “Measuring e-commerce adoption behaviour among gen-Z in Jakarta, Indonesia,” Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 64, pp. 103–115, Dec. 2019, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eap.2019.08.004.
- T. T. Nguyen, H. T. Nguyen, H. T. Mai, and T. T. M. Tran, “Determinants of Digital Banking Services in Vietnam: Applying UTAUT2 Model,” Asian Economic and Financial Review, vol. 10, no. 6, Art. no. 6, Jun. 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.18488/journal.aefr.2020.106.680.697.
- T. N. Phan, T. V. Ho, and P. V. Le-Hoang, “Factors Affecting the Behavioral Intention and Behavior of Using E-Wallets of Youth in Vietnam,” The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 295–302, 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.n10.295.
- J. Hair, W. Black, B. Babin, and R. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis: Global Edition, 7th ed. Pearson, 2014. Accessed: Nov. 25, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators/higher-education-educators/program/Hair-Multivariate-Data-Analysis-Global-Edition-7th-Edition/PGM916641.html
- A. A. Bailey, I. Pentina, A. S. Mishra, and M. S. B. Mimoun, “Mobile payments adoption by US consumers: an extended TAM,” International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 2017.
- V. Venkatesh and H. Bala, “Technology Acceptance Model 3 and a Research Agenda on Interventions,” Decision Sciences, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 273–315, 2008, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2008.00192.x.
- P. G. Schierz, O. Schilke, and B. W. Wirtz, “Understanding consumer acceptance of mobile payment services: An empirical analysis,” Electronic commerce research and applications, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2010.
- O. Alaeddin, A. Rana, Z. Zainudin, and F. Kamarudin, “From physical to digital: Investigating consumer behaviour of switching to mobile wallet,” Polish Journal of Management Studies, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 18–30, 2018.
- E. L. Slade, Y. K. Dwivedi, N. C. Piercy, and M. D. Williams, “Modeling consumers’ adoption intentions of remote mobile payments in the United Kingdom: extending UTAUT with innovativeness, risk, and trust,” Psychology & Marketing, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 860–873, 2015.