Attempt to Extend Knowledge of Decision Support Systems for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
Helena Dudycz, Jerzy Korczak, Bartłomiej Nita, Piotr Oleksyk, Adrian Kaźmierczak
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1263–1271 (2016)
Abstract. The article presents a proposal to extend the functionality and knowledge of Business Intelligence systems to answer the requirements of managers of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). It concerns two major aspects of the system, i.e. the interface that takes into account the level of knowledge of the manager, and supports the interpretation of economic and financial information using the built-in domain ontologies. The project is related to the design of smart decision support systems based on financial ontology and on the model of manager knowledge created by eye tracking analysis. An experiment was carried out on real financial data extracted from the database of Business Intelligent BINOCLE, developed by Bilander Co. To create a model of manager knowledge, a number of financial analysts, experts and economists were invited to analyze the pre-defined financial reports. Their tasks were observed and analyzed by the eye-tracking system StudioTM, Tobii. The logs of the system as well as the financial ontology have been used to develop the intelligent interface of a Decision Support System.
- J. Korczak, H. Dudycz and M. Dyczkowski, “Intelligent dashboard for SME managers. Architecture and functions”, in: Proc. of the Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki, Eds., Polskie Towarzystwo Informatyczne, IEEE Computer Society Press, Warsaw, Los Alamitos, CA, 2012, pp. 1003–1007
- M. Samonas, Financial Forecasting, Analysis and Modelling, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester 2015
- H. Dudycz, Visualization methods in Business Intelligence systems – An overview, Business Informatics (16). Data Mining and Business Intelligence, J. Korczak, Ed., Research Papers of Wrocław University of Economics, 2010, no. 104, pp. 9-24.
- D. Sell, L. Cabral, E. Motta, J. Domingue and R. Pacheco, Adding Semantics to Business Intelligence, 2008, http://dip.sema.nticweb.org/documents/WebSpaperOUV2.pdf.
- N. Raden, Business Intelligence 2.0: Simpler, More Accessible, Inevitable, 2007 http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/bi/197002610
- S. Nelson, Business Intelligence 2.0: Are we there yet? SAS Global Forum, 2010 http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings10/040-2010.pdf
- J. Trujillo, A. Mate, Business Intelligence 2.0: a general overview, in: Business Intelligence: First European Summer School, eBISS 2011, M.- A. Aufaure, E. Zimanyi, Eds., Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing (LNBIP) 96, Springer, 2012, pp. 98-116
- H. Dudycz., The Topic Map as a Visual Representation of Economic Knowledge (in Polish), Wrocław University of Economics, Wrocław, 2013
- T. R. Gruber, Toward Principles for the Design of Ontologies Used for Knowledge Sharing, Technical Report KSL, Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Stanford University, 1993, http://tomgruber.org/writing/onto-design.pdf
- M. Aruldoss, D. Maladhy and V. Prasanna Venkatesan, A framework for business intelligence application using ontological classification, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 2011, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1213-1221
- A. Cheng, Y.-C. Lu, C. Sheu, An ontology-based business intelligence application in financial knowledge management system, Expert Systems with Applications, 2009, vol. 36, issue 2, part 2, pp. 3614-3622
- B. Neumayr, M. Schrefl, K. Linner, Semantic cockpit: an ontology-driven, interactive Business Intelligence tool for comparative data analysis, in: Advances in Conceptual Modeling. Recent Developments and New Directions, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) 6999, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011, pp. 55-64
- F. Pinto, M. F. Santos and A. Marques, Ontology based data mining – A contribution to business intelligence, 10th WSEAS International Conference on Mathematics and Computers in Business and Economics (MCBE '09), Czech Republic, 2009, March 23-25, pp. 210-216.
- H. Saggion, A. Funk, D. Maynard and K. Bontcheva, Ontology-based information extraction for business intelligence, in: Proceedings of the 6th International Semantic Web Conference and 2nd Asian Semantic Web Conference, Busan, Springer, Berlin/Heidelberg, 2007, pp. 843-856.
- D. Sell, D. C. da Silva, F. D. Beppler, M. Napoli, F. B. Ghisi, R. Pacheco and J. L. Todesco, SBI: a semantic framework to support business Intelligence, in Proceeding of the first international workshop on Ontology-supported business intelligence, Article no. 11, ACM New York, 2008.
- J. Korczak, H. Dudycz and M. Dyczkowski, “Design of financial knowledge in dashboard for SME managers”, in: Proc. of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems. Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 1, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki, Eds. Polskie Towarzystwo Informatyczne, IEEE Computer Society Press, Warsaw, Los Alamitos, CA, 2013, pp. 1111–1118
- M. Dyczkowski, J. Korczak and H. Dudycz, Multi-criteria evaluation of the intelligent dashboard for SME managers based on scorecard framework, in: Proc. of the 2014 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems. Annals of Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki, Eds., New York City, 2014, vol. 2, pp. 1147–115
- K. Berman, J. Knight and J. Case, Financial Intelligence, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston 2013
- B. Nita, Managerial Reporting (in Polish), Warszawa: PWN, 2014
- L. Revsine, D.W. Collins, W.B. Johnson and H.F Mittelstaedt, Financial Reporting and Analysis, McGraw Hill, New York 2012
- E. Schenk, C. Guittard, Towards a characterization of crowdsourcing practices, Journal of Innovation Economics & Management, 2011, no. 7, pp. 93-107
- H. J. Hwang, K. Kwon and C. H. Im, Neurofeedback-based motor imagery training for brain-computer interface (BCI), Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Republic of Korea, 2009