Competencies outside Agile Teams’ Borders: The Extended Scrum Team
Gerard Wagenaar, Sietse Overbeek, Remko Helms
Citation: Position Papers of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 9, pages 291–298 (2016)
Abstract. According to the Scrum process framework a Scrum team should have all necessary competencies to accomplish its work. Fragmented and anecdotal evidence hints at Scrum teams still needing additional, external competencies. To contribute to theories on Scrum team composition and practitioner's concerns in staffing a Scrum team we investigated Scrum teams' cross-functionality: To whom do Scrum teams turn for additional competencies, which competencies are involved and how are Scrum teams aware of additional competencies they need? To this extent we analysed the communication in three Scrum teams during one of their Sprints. Our results show that additional competencies are called for, not only on an ad hoc basis, but also on a structural basis. To include those structural competencies the notion of an extended Scrum team is introduced.
- D. Bustard, G. Wilkie, D. Greer, "The diffusion of agile software development: Insights from a regional survey", in Information Systems Development: Reflections, Challenges and New Directions, R. Pooley, J. Coady, C. Schneider, H. Linger, C. Barry, M. Lang, Eds., New York: Springer, 2013, pp. 219–230, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4951-5_18.
- P. Rodríguez, J. Markkula, M. Oivo, K. Turula, "Survey on agile and lean usage in Finnish software industry", in Proceedings of the ACM-IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM ‘12), New York, 2012, pp. 139–148, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2372251.2372275.
- T. Chow, D.-B. Cao, "A survey study of critical success factors in agile software projects", Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 961–971, June 2008, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2007.08.020.
- K. Schwaber, J. Sutherland, "The Scrum guide – The definitive guide to Scrum: The rules of the game", 2013, retrieved from https://www.scrum.org/Portals/0/Documents/Scrum Guides/2013/Scrum-Guide.pdf.
- K. Schwaber, M. Beedle, "Agile software development with Scrum", 1st ed., Upper Saddle River (NJ): Prentice Hall, 2002.
- H.F. Cervone, "Understanding agile project management methods using Scrum", OCLC Systems & Services: International Digital Library Perspectives, vol. 27, no. 1, pp.18–22, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10650751111106528.
- K.B. Hass, "The Blending of traditional and agile project management", PM World Today, vol. IX, no. V, pp. 1–8, May 2007.
- D. Damian, S. Marczak, I. Kwan, "Collaboration patterns and the impact of distance on awareness in requirements-centred social networks", in Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE 2007), Delhi, 2007, pp. 59–68, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/RE.2007.51.
- M. Mortensen, P. Hinds, "Fuzzy teams: Boundary disagreement in distributed and collocated teams”, in Distributed Work, P. J. Hinds, S. Kiesler, Eds., Cambridge/London: MIT Press, 2010, pp. 283–308.
- K. Ehrlich, K. Chang, "Leveraging expertise in global software teams: Going outside boundaries", in Proceedings of the International Conference on Global Software Engineering (ICGSE ’06), Florianopolis, 2006, pp. 149–158, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICGSE.2006.261228.
- T. Chau, F. Maurer, "Knowledge sharing in agile software teams", in Logic versus Approximation - Essays Dedicated to Michael M. Richter on the Occasion of his 65th Birthday, W. Lenski, Ed., Berlin Heidelberg:Springer, 2004, pp. 173-183, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-25967-1_12.
- J. Ferreira, H. Sharp, H. Robinson, "User experience design and agile development: managing cooperation through articulation work", Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 963–974, August 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spe.1012.
- A. Martin, R. Biddle, J. Noble, "An ideal customer: A grounded theory of requirements elicitation, communication and acceptance on agile projects", in Agile Software Development: Current Research and Future Directions, T. Dingsøyr, T. Dybå, N. B. Moe, Eds., Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, 2010, pp. 111–141, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-12575-1_6.
- H. Sharp, H. Robinson, "Three “C”s of agile practice: Collaboration, Co-ordination and Communication", in Agile Software Development: Current Research and Future Directions, T. Dingsøyr, T. Dybå, N. B. Moe, Eds., Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, 2010, pp. 61–85, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-12575-1_4.
- M. Cataldo, J.D. Herbsleb, K.M. Carley, "Socio-technical congruence: a framework for assessing the impact of technical and work dependencies on software development productivity", in Proceedings of the Second ACM-IEEE international symposium on Empirical software engineering and measurement (ESEM 2008), Kaiserslautern, 2008, pp. 2–11, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1414004.1414008.
- I. Kwan, A. Schröter, D. Damian, "Does socio-technical congruence have an effect on software build success? A study of coordination in a software project", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 307–324, May-June 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSE.2011.29.
- M. Kropp, A. Meier, "Teaching agile software development at university level: Values, management, and craftsmanship", in Proceedings of the IEEE 26th Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T), San Francisco (CA), 2013, pp. 179–188, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CSEET.2013.6595249.
- P. Bootla, O. Rojanapornpun, P. Mongkolnam, "Necessary skills and attitudes for development team members in Scrum: Thai experts’ and practitioners's perspectives", in Proceedings of the 12 th International Joint Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (JCSSE), Songkhla, 2015, pp. 184–189, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JCSSE.2015.7219793.
- S. Downey, J. Sutherland, "Scrum metrics for hyperproductive teams: how they fly like fighter aircraft", in Proceedings of the 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Wailea (HI), 2013, pp. 4870–4878, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2013.471.
- M. Paasivaara, C. Lassenius, "Communities of practice in a large distributed agile software development organization - Case Ericsson", Information and Software Technology, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 1556–1577, December 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2014.06.008.
- J. Ferreira, H. Sharp, H. Robinson, "Values and assumptions shaping agile development and user experience design in practice", in Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Agile Software Development (XP 2010), A. Martin, X. Wang, & E. Whitworth, Eds., Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, 2010, pp. 178–183, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-13054-0_15.
- M.M. Rejab, J. Noble, G. Allan, "Distributing expertise in agile software development projects", in Proceedings of the Agile Conference (AGILE ’14), Kissimmee (FL), 2014, pp. 33–36, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/AGILE.2014.16.
- M.M. Rejab, J. Noble, G. Allan, "Locating expertise in agile software development projects", in Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming - Proceedings of the 15 th International Conference (XP 2014), G. Cantone & M. Marchesi, Eds., Cham/ Heidelberg/ New York/ Dordrecht/ London: Springer International Publishing, 2014, pp. 260-268, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-06862-6_19.
- M.M. Rejab, J. Noble, S. Marshall, "Coordinating expertise outside agile teams", in Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming - Proceedings of the 16th International Conference XP 2015, C. Lassenius, T. Dingsøyr, M. Paasivaara, Eds., Cham/ Heidelberg/New York/Dordrecht/London: Springer International Publishing, pp. 141-153, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-18612-2_12.
- R.K. Yin, Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods Series - volume 5), 4 th ed., vol. 34, Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage Publications, Inc., 2009,
- H. Maimbo, "Designing a case study protocol for application in IS research", in Proceedings of the 9th Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2005), Bangkok, 2005, pp. 1281–1292.
- M. Paasivaara, C. Lassenius, "Collaboration practices in global inter-organizational software development projects", Software Process: Improvement and Practice, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 183–199, October/December 2003, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spip.187.
- P. Runeson, M. Höst, "Guidelines for conducting and reporting case study research in software engineering", Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 131–164, April 2009, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10664-008-9102-8.
- P. Deemer, G. Benefield, C. Larman, B. Vodde, "The Scrum primer - A lightweight guide to the theory and practice of Scrum (Version 2.0), 2010, retrieved from http://www.goodagile.com/scrumprimer/scrumprimer20.pdf.
- M. Yilmaz, R.V. O’Connor, P. Clarke, "A systematic approach to the comparison of roles in the software development processes", in Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination - Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Process Improvement and Capability dEtermination in Software, Systems Engineering and Service Management (SPICE 2012), A. Mas, A. Mesquida, T. Rout, R. V. O’Connor, A. Dorling, Eds., Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, 2012, pp. 198–209, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30439-2_18.
- G. Wagenaar, R. Helms, D. Damian, S. Brinkkemper, "Artefacts in agile software development", in Product-Focused Software Process Improvement - Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Product-Focused Software Process Improvement (PROFES 2015), P. Abrahamsson, L. Corral, M. Oivo, B. Russo, Eds., Springer International Publishing, pp. 133–148, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26844-6_10.
- I. Kwan,, D. Damian, "The hidden experts in software-engineering communication", in Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE ’11), NIER Track, Waikiki, Honolulu (HI), 2011, pp. 800–803, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1985793.1985906.
- S. Karunakaran, "Impact of cloud adoption on agile software development", in Software Engineering Frameworks for the Cloud Computing Paradigm, Z. Mahmood, S. Saeed, Eds., London: Springer, 2013, pp. 213–234, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-5031-2_10.