Underwater Acoustic Communications in Time-Varying Dispersive Channels
Iwona Kochańska, Jan Schmidt, Mariusz Rudnicki
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 467–474 (2016)
Abstract. Underwater acoustic communication (UAC) system designers tend to transmit as much information as possible, per unit of time, at as low as possible error rate. However, the bit rate achieved in UAC systems is much lower than for wire or radio-communication systems. This is due to disadvantageous properties of the UAC channels, namely the sea and inland waters. Estimation of UAC channel transmission properties is possible within a limited bandwidth and temporal resolution. Thus, the UAC physical layer of data transmission is designed on the basis of roughly estimated channel parameters, or assuming the worst possible conditions. The paper presents the methodology of adapting UAC signaling schemes to tough underwater propagation conditions, through an example of two communication systems designed and developed at the Gdansk University of Technology.
- J. Marszal, “Digital Signal Processing Methods Implemented in Polish Navy Sonar Modernization”, Polish Maritime Research, Vol. 21, 2014, No 2. pp. 65-75.
- J. Marszal, R. Salamon, “Distance Measurement Errors in Silent FM-CW Sonar with Matched Filtering”, Metrology and Measurement Systems, Vol. XIX (2012), No. 2, pp. 321-332.
- R. Salamon, J. Marszal, W. Leśniak, “Broadband Sonar with a Cylindrical Antenna”, Acta Acustica united with Acustica, Vol. 92, 2006, pp. 153-155.
- R. Salamon, J. Marszal, “Optimising the Sounding Pulse of the Rotational Directional Transmission Sonar”, Acta Acustica united with Acustica, Vol. 88, 2002, pp. 666-669.
- J. Marszal, “Directivity pattern of active sonars with wideband signals”, Acoustical Imaging Vol. 19, 1992, pp. 915-919.
- J. Marszal, R. Salamon, A. Stepnowski, “Military sonar upgrading methods developed at Gdansk University of Technology”, Proc. IEEE Oceans'05 Europe Conference, Brest 2005, (Electronic document).
- I. Kochańska, “Considerations of adaptive digital communiations in underwater acoustic channel”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 16, 2013, pp. 113-120.
- J. Schmidt, “Reliable underwater communication system for shallow coastal waters”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 17, 2014, pp. 171-178.
- J. Schmidt, “Underwater communication system for shallow water using modified MFSK modulation”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 8, 2005, pp. 179-184.
- R. Otnes, A. Asterjadhi, P. Casari, M. Goetz, T. Husøy, I. Nissen, K. Rimstad, P. van Walree, M. Zorzi, “Underwater Acoustic Networking Techniques”, SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2012.
- B. Sklar, “Digital Communications: Fundamentals and Applications (2nd Edition)”, Prentice-Hall, 2001, pp. 944-996.
- I. Kochańska, “Adaptive identification of time-varying impulse response of underwater acoustic communication channel”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 18, 2015, pp. 87-94.
- J., Marszal, R. Salamon, “Silent Sonar for Maritime Security Applications”, Acoustical Society of America, Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, Vol. 17, 070082 (2013).
- J. Marszal, R. Salamon, L. Kilian, “Application of Maximum Length Sequence in Silent Sonar”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 15, 2012, pp. 143-152.
- P. van Walree, “Channel sounding for acoustic communications: techniques and shallow-water examples”, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI), FFI-rapport 2011/00007
- P. A. Bello, “Characterization of randomly time-variant linear channels”, IEEE Trans., Vol. CS-11, No 4, 1963, pp. 360–393.
- L. E. Franks, “Carrier and Bit Synchronization in Data Communiaction – A Tutorial Review”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. COM-28, No. 8, 1980 , pp. 1107 – 1121.
- I. Nissen, I. Kochańska, “Hydroakustik-Messung im Bornholmbecken zur lokalen Stationaritatsmodellierung beim Unterwasserschallkanal”, Fortschritte der Akustik – DAGA 2016, pp. 153-156.
- U. Chude-Okonkwo, R. Ngah, and T. Abd Rahman, “Time-scale domain characterization of non-WSSUS wideband channels,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2011, no. 1, p. 123.
- F. Frassati, C. Lafon, L. P.A. , and P. J.M., „Experimental assessment of OFDM and DSSS modulations for use in littoral waters underwater acoustic communications,” in Oceans'05 Proc. MTS/IEEE, France, 2005.
- S. Coatelan and A. Glavieux, „Design and test of coding OFDM system on the shallow water acoustic channel,” in Oceans '95 Proc.. MTS/IEEE, Brest, France, 1995.
- R. Bradbeer, E. Law, and E. Yeung, „Using multi-frequency modulation in a modem for the transmission of near realtime video in an underwater environment,” in Consumer Electronics, 2003. ICCE., Hong Kong
- M. Chitre, S. H. Ong, and J. Potter, „Performance of coded OFDM in vary Shallow water channels and snapping shrimp noise,” in Ocenas '05 Proc. MTS/IEEE , Singapore, 2005.
- M. Stojanovic, „Low Complexity OFDM Detector for Underwater Acoustic Channels,” in IEEE Oceans’06 Proc. MTS/IEEE, Boston, MA, 2006.
- B. Li, S. Zhou, M. Stojanovic, L. Freitag, and P. Wille, „Multicarrier Communication over Underwater Acoustic Channel with non uniform Doppler shifts,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol 33, nr 2, pp. 198-209, 2008.
- B. Li, S. Zhou, M. Stojanovic, and Freitag, „Pilot-tone based ZP-OFDM demodulation for an Underwater acoustic channel,” in Oceans'06 MTS/IEEE, Boston, MA, 2006.
- T. Suzuki, H. M. Tran, and T. Wada, “An underwater acoustic OFDM communication system with shrimp (impulsive) noise cancelling,” in Proc. of the International Conference on Computing, Management and Telecommunications (ComManTel '14), pp. 152–156, IEEE, Da Nang, Vietnam, April 2014.
- I. Kochańska, H. Lasota, “Investigation of underwater channel time-variabiliy influence on the throughput of OFDM data transmission system”, Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, POMA, 17, Acoustical Society of America, 2013.
- I. Kochańska, “Measurements of transmission properties of acoustic communication channels”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 15, 2012, pp. 91-98.
- A. Matoba, M. Hanada, M.W. Kim, “Throughput Improvement by Adjusting RTS Transmission Range for W-LAN Ad Hoc Network”, Proceedings of the 2014 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 2014, pp. 941–946.
- I. Nissen, “Measurements of transmission properties of acoustic communication channels”, Hydroacoustics, Vol. 18, 2015, pp. 113-126.