Calculating the Speed of Vehicles Using Wireless Sensor Networks
Omar Alfandi, Arne Bochem, Alberto Rivera Díaz, Mehdi Akbari Gurabi, Md.Istiak Mehedi, Dieter Hogrefe
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1043–1047 (2016)
Abstract. Speed measurement is an important issue for some types of Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN), especially for Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks (VANETs). However, calculating this value is error-prone and costly. This report intends to demonstrate the calculation of speed of an object without the use of any additional devices or sensor boards, only using Received Signal Strength Indication (RSSI) for localization of the vehicles and time calculation using synchronization. We implemented these methods in actual IRIS motes, and tested them. The results show that, while not perfectly accurate, our method proved to be reliable and close to the real speed. In addition, the results do not have any linear correlation in divergence of real speed and calculated speed, which means the system avoids systematic errors.
- E. Spaho, L. Barolli, G. Mino, F. Xhafa, and V. Kolici, “Vanet simulators: A survey on mobility and routing protocols.” Broadband and Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications (BWCCA), 2011 International Conference on (pp. 1-10). IEEE., 2011.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “A survey on sensor networks.” Communications magazine, IEEE, 40(8), 102-114., 2002.
- S. Yousefi, M. S. Mousavi, and M. Fathy, “Vehicular ad hoc networks (vanets): challenges and perspectives.” ITS Telecommunications Proceedings, 2006 6th International Conference on (pp. 761-766). IEEE., 2006.
- G. M. Abdalla, M. A. Abu-Rgheff, and S. M. Senouci, “Current trends in vehicular ad hoc networks.” Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Journal, 1-9., 2007.
- N. Patwari, J. N. Ash, S. Kyperountas, A. O. Hero, R. L. Moses, and N. S. Correal, “Locating the nodes: cooperative localization in wireless sensor networks,” Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE, 22(4), 54-69., 2005.
- M. Adnan, N. Zainuddin, N. Sulaiman, and T. Besar, “Vehicle speed measurement technique using various speed detection instrumentation,” in Business Engineering and Industrial Applications Colloquium (BEIAC), 2013 IEEE, April 2013, pp. 668–672.
- J. R. Jiang, C. M. Lin, F. Y. Lin, and S. T. Huang, “Alrd: Aoa localization with rssi differences of directional antennas for wireless sensor networks,” Information Society (i-Society), 2012 International Conference on(pp. 304-309). IEEE., 2012.
- Z. Li, W. Trappe, Y. Zhang, and B. Nath, “Robust statistical methods for securing wireless localization in sensor networks,” Information Processing in Sensor Networks, 2005. IPSN 2005. Fourth International Symposium on, 2005.
- TIRTL, http://www.ceos.com.au/index.php/products/tirtl, 2014, [Accessed October 5, 2014].