An Image Steganography Algorithm using Haar Discrete Wavelet Transform with Advanced Encryption System
Essam H. Houssein, Mona A. S. Ali, Aboul Ella Hassanien
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 641–644 (2016)
Abstract. The security of data over the internet is a crucial thing specially if this data is personal or confidential. The transmitted data can be intercepted during its journey from device to another. For that reason, we are willing to develop a simple method to secure data. Data encryption is one method to secure the messages but the intruders can still try to crack it, in order to overcome this, steganography has been used to hide the data into a cover media(i.e. audio, image or video). Recently steganography attracts many researchers as a hot topic. This paper proposes an advanced technique for encrypting data using Advanced Encryption System (AES) and hiding the data using Haar Discret Wavelet Transform (HDWT). HDWT aims to decrease the complexity in image steganology while providing less image distortion and lesser detectability. One-forth of the image carrying the details of the image in a region and other three regions carrying a less details of the image then the cipher text is concealed at most two Least Significant Bits (LSB) positions in the less detailed regions of the carrier image, if the message doesn't fit in the first LSB only it will use the second LSB. This proposed algorithm covers almost all type of symbols and alphabets.
- S. Katzenbeisser and F. Petitcolas, Information hiding techniques for steganography and digital watermarking. Artech house, 2000.
- A. Nissar and A. Mir, “Classification of steganalysis techniques: A study,” Digital Signal Processing, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1758–1770, 2010.
- S. Williams, “Cryptography and network security: Principles and practices,” 2006.
- M. M. Amin, M. Salleh, S. Ibrahim, M. R. Katmin, and M. Shamsuddin, “Information hiding using steganography,” in Telecommunication Technology, 2003. NCTT 2003 Proceedings. 4th National Conference on. IEEE, 2003, pp. 21–25.
- N. Bhardwaj and S. Agarwal, “A new technique for extracting image information beyond visibility,” International Journal of Information and Computation Technology, vol. 3, pp. 539–548, 2013.
- T. Gao and Z. Chen, “A new image encryption algorithm based on hyper-chaos,” Physics Letters A, vol. 372, no. 4, pp. 394–400, 2008.
- C.-C. Chang, T.-S. Chen, and L.-Z. Chung, “A steganographic method based upon jpeg and quantization table modification,” Information Sciences, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 123–138, 2002.
- T. Bhattacharya, N. Dey, and S. Chaudhuri, “A session based multiple image hiding technique using dwt and dct,” arXiv preprint https://arxiv.org/abs/1208.0950, 2012.
- P.-Y. Chen, H.-J. Lin et al., “A dwt based approach for image steganography,” International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 275–290, 2006.
- C.-L. Liu and S.-R. Liao, “High-performance jpeg steganography using complementary embedding strategy,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2945–2955, 2008.
- C.-K. Chan and L.-M. Cheng, “Hiding data in images by simple lsb substitution,” Pattern recognition, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 2004.
- K. Wong, X. Qi, and K. Tanaka, “A dct-based mod4 steganographic method,” Signal Processing, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1251–1263, 2007.
- M. Juneja and P. S. Sandhu, “A new approach for information security using an improved steganography technique,” Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 405–424, 2013.
- S. Hemalatha, U. D. Acharya, A. Renuka, and P. R. Kamath, “A secure and high capacity image steganography technique,” Signal & Image Processing, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 83, 2013.
- S. A. Laskar and K. Hemachandran, “High capacity data hiding using lsb steganography and encryption,” International Journal of Database Management Systems, vol. 4, no. 6, p. 57, 2012.