Citation: Communication Papers of the 2018 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 17, pages 217–222 (2018)
Abstract. The aim of this work was to design and implement a mechanism supporting collaborative sensemaking in a system of multiple mobile devices implementing spatial awareness. The design is based on an observation how people tend to manage and organize information in physical space. The developed mechanism attempts to determine the relation between atomic elements of information basing on relative position of these elements in time. The proposed solution is based on a simple Fuzzy Inference System and the theory of Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. Physically, the system was implemented for three tablets, for which spatial awareness is simulated with the use of motion tracking system. The system was evaluated in a user study.
- P. Wozniak, N. Goyal, P. Kucharski, L. Lischke, S. Mayer, and M. Fjeld, “RAMPARTS,” in Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’16, (New York, New York, USA), pp. 2447–2460, ACM Press, 2016.
- M. Fjeld, P. Woźniak, J. Cowls, and B. Nardi, “Ad hoc encounters with big data: Engaging citizens in conversations around tabletops,” First Monday, vol. 20, 2 2015.
- S. Weise, J. Hardy, P. Agarwal, P. Coulton, A. Friday, and M. Chiasson, “Democratizing ubiquitous computing,” in Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Conference on Ubiquitous Computing - UbiComp ’12, (New York, New York, USA), p. 521, ACM Press, 9 2012.
- M. Bilezikjian, S. R. Klemmer, R. L. Mandryk, J. A. Landay, and L. M. Inkpen, “Exploring a New Interaction Paradigm for Collaborating on Handheld,” 8 2002.
- A. F. Blackwell, G. Bailey, I. Budvytis, V. Chen, L. Church, L. Dubuc, D. Edge, M. Linnap, V. Naudziunas, and H. Warrington, “Tangible Interaction in a Mobile Context,” CHIâĂŹ07 Workshop on Tangible User Int. in Context and Theory, 2007.
- J. R. Cauchard, M. Löchtefeld, P. Irani, J. Schoening, A. Krüger, M. Fraser, and S. Subramanian, “Visual separation in mobile multi-display environments,” in Proceedings of the 24th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology - UIST ’11, (New York, New York, USA), p. 451, ACM Press, 10 2011.
- P. Hamilton and D. J. Wigdor, “Conductor: enabling and understanding cross-device interaction,” in Proceedings of the 32nd annual ACM conference on Human factors in computing systems - CHI ’14, (New York), pp. 2773–2782, ACM Press, 4 2014.
- A. Lucero, J. Holopainen, and T. Jokela, “Pass-them-around: collaborative use of mobile phones for photo sharing,” in Proceedings of the 2011 annual conference on Human factors in computing systems - CHI ’11, (New York), p. 1787, ACM Press, 5 2011.
- A. Lucero, T. Jokela, A. Palin, V. Aaltonen, and J. Nikara, “EasyGroups: binding mobile devices for collaborative interactions,” in Proceedings of the 2012 ACM annual conference extended abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems Extended Abstracts - CHI EA ’12, (New York), p. 2189, ACM Press, 5 2012.
- J. Cassens, “Cross-Device Interaction,” in AMBIENT 2013 : The Third International Conference on Ambient Computing, Applications, Services and Technologies, 2013.
- G. Chen and D. Kotz, “A survey of context-aware mobile computing research,” 2000.
- D. Reilly, A. Echenique, A. Wu, A. Tang, and W. K. Edwards, “Mapping out Work in a Mixed Reality Project Room,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’15, (New York, New York, USA), pp. 887–896, ACM Press, 4 2015.
- P. W. Wozniak, B. Schmidt, L. Lischke, Z. Franjcic, A. E. Yantaç, and M. Fjeld, “MochaTop,” in Proceedings of the extended abstracts of the 32nd annual ACM conference on Human factors in computing systems - CHI EA ’14, (New York, New York, USA), pp. 2329–2334, ACM Press, 4 2014.
- M. Spindler, W. Büschel, C. Winkler, and R. Dachselt, “Tangible displays for the masses: spatial interaction with handheld displays by using consumer depth cameras,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 18, pp. 1213–1225, 11 2013.
- M. Spindler and R. Dachselt, “Exploring information spaces by using tangible magic lenses in a tabletop environment,” Proceedings of the 28th of the international conference extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems - CHI EA ’10, p. 4771, 2010.
- M. Spindler, “Spatially aware tangible display interaction in a tabletop environment,” Proceedings of the 2012 ACM international conference on Interactive tabletops and surfaces - ITS ’12, p. 277, 2012.
- K. Hasan, D. Ahlström, and P. Irani, “Ad-binning: leveraging around device space for storing, browsing and retrieving mobile device content,” Proceedings of CHI 2013, pp. 899–908, 2013.
- R. Rädle, H.-C. Jetter, M. Schreiner, Z. Lu, H. Reiterer, and Y. Rogers, “Spatially-aware or Spatially-agnostic?,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’15, (New York, New York, USA), pp. 3913–3922, ACM Press, 4 2015.
- R. Rädle, H.-C. Jetter, N. Marquardt, H. Reiterer, and Y. Rogers, “HuddleLamp: Spatially-Aware Mobile Displays for Ad-hoc Around- the-Table Collaboration,” in Proceedings of the Ninth ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces - ITS ’14, (New York), pp. 45–54, ACM Press, 11 2014.
- P. Kucharski, A. Romanowski, K. Grudzień, and P. Woźniak, “TomoSense: Towards Multi-Device Spatial Awareness Based on Independent Plane Sensing.” 2016.
- P. Hájek, Metamathematics of fuzzy logic. Kluwer, 1998.
- E. Cox, The fuzzy systems handbook : a practitioner’s guide to building and maintaining fuzzy systems. AP Professional, 1994.
- L. Zadeh, “Fuzzy logic = computing with words,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 4, pp. 103–111, 5 1996.
- L. A. Zadeh, “Toward a theory of fuzzy information granulation and its centrality in human reasoning and fuzzy logic,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 90, pp. 111–127, 9 1997.
- B. Kosko, “Fuzzy cognitive maps,” International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, vol. 24, pp. 65–75, 1 1986.
- R. Axelrod, “The cognitive mapping approach to decision making,” Structure of decision, pp. 221–250, 1976.
- E. I. Papageorgiou and C. D. Stylios, “Fuzzy cognitive maps,” Handbook of Granular Computing, pp. 755–774, 2008.
- R. Taber, “Knowledge processing with Fuzzy Cognitive Maps,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 83–87, 1991.
- M. Styblinski and B. Meyer, “Fuzzy cognitive maps, signal flow graphs, and qualitative circuit analysis,” in IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 549–556, IEEE, 1988.
- J. Craiger, D. Goodman, R. Weiss, and A. Butler, “Modeling organizational behavior with fuzzy cognitive maps,” vol. 1, pp. 120–123, 1996.
- J. Aguilar, “A survey about fuzzy cognitive maps papers,” International journal of computational cognition, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 27–33, 2005.
- P. Cingolani and J. Alcala-Fdez, “jFuzzyLogic: a robust and flexible Fuzzy-Logic inference system language implementation,” in Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 1–8, IEEE, 2012.
- P. Cingolani and J. Alcalá-Fdez, “jFuzzyLogic: a Java Library to Design Fuzzy Logic Controllers According to the Standard for Fuzzy Control Programming,”
- K. Hornbæk, “Some whys and hows of experiments in human–computer interaction,” Human–Computer Interaction, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 299–373, 2011.
- G. Stanford and B. D. Stanford, Learning Discussion Skills Through Games. Citation Press, 1971.