Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 333–340 (2019)
Abstract. In autonomous driving, detecting vehicles together with their parts, such as a license plate is important. Many methods with using deep learning detect the license plate based on number recognition. However, there is an idea that the method using deep learning is difficult to use for autonomous driving because of the complexity in realizing deterministic verification. Therefore, development of a method that does not use deep learning(DL) has become important again. Although the authors have made the world's best performance in 2018 for Caltech data with using DL, this concept has now turned to another research without using DL. The CT5L method is the latest type, that includes techniques of the continuity of vertical and horizontal black-and-white pixel values inside the plate, unique Hough transform, only vertical and horizontal lines are detected, the top five in the order of the number of votes to ensure good performance. In this paper, a method to determine the threshold value for binarizing input by machine learning is proposed, and good results are obtained. The detection rate is improved by about 20 points in percent as compared to the fixed case. It achieves the best performance among the conventional fixed threshold method, Otsu's method, and the conventional method of JavaANPR.
- Documentation_1st_RoundTableAutonomousDriving.pdf https://www.hs-kempten.de/fileadmin/fh-kempten/HK/news/2016/
- Kazuo Ohzeki, Yoshikazu Kido, Yutaka Hirakawa, Stefan Schneider, "Multi-Module Deep Learning Using Training Data from the first-Stage Error -- Effective For License Plate Detection --", IEICE Technical report vol. 117, no. 514, PRMU2017-176, pp. 25-30, March 2018,( in English)
- Xiaowei Huang, Marta Kwiatkowska, Sen Wang and Min Wu, “Safety Verification of Deep Neural Networks”, Keynote of CAV2017 July 2017 Heidelberg
- Alexander, Robert David , Ashmore, Rob and Banks, “The State of Solutions for Autonomous Systems Safety.”, White Rose Research Online, February 2018
- James H. Gawron, Gregory A. Keoleian, Robert D. De Kleine, Timothy J. Wallington, and Hyung Chul Kim, "Life Cycle Assessment of Connected and Automated Vehicles: Sensing and Computing Subsystem and Vehicle Level Effects", Environ. Sci. Technol., 2018, 52 (5), pp 3249–3256, American Chemical Society Feb. 2018.
- "Das Bundesverfassungsgericht" (in German). Bverfg.de. 3 November 2008. Retrieved 16 February2009.
- Cláudio Rosito Jung and Rodrigo Schramm,”Rectangle Detection based on aWindowed Hough Transform”, Computer Graphics and Image Processing, 2004. Proceedings. 17th Brazilian Symposium, pp. 113 – 120, 17-20 Oct. 2004,
- Ondrej Martinsky, "Algorithmic and mathematical principles of automatic number plate recognition systems", B.SC. THESIS, BRNO University of Technology, 2007.
- Di Zang, Zhenliang Chai, Junqi Zhang, Dongdong Zhang, and Jiujun Cheng, "Vehicle license plate recognition using visual attention model and deep learning" Journal of Electronic Imaging SPIE 24(3) 033001-pp.1-10. May/Jun 2015.
- S´ergio Montazzolli and Claudio Jung, "Real-Time Brazilian License Plate Detection and Recognition Using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks", 30th SIBGRAPI Conference on Graphics, Patterns and Images (SIBGRAPI), pp.55-62, Oct. 2017.
- M. Dong, D. He, C. Luo, D. Liu, W. Zeng, "A CNN-Based Approach for Automatic License Plate Recognition in the Wild", 28th British Machine Vision Conference BMVC pp.1-12, Sept 2017.
- S.G. Kim, H.G. Jeon and H.I. Koo, "Deep-learning- based license plate detection method using vehicle region extraction", Electronics Letters Vol. 53, Issue: 15, 7 20 Institution of Engineering and Technology, pp.1034-1036, 2017.
- Hui Li, and Chunhua Shen, "Reading Car License Plates Using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks and LSTMs", https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.05610 Jan, 2016.
- Dehghan, Afshin; Zain Masood, Syed; Shu, Guang; Ortiz, Enrique G. (19 February 2017). "View Independent Vehicle Make, Model and Color Recognition Using Convolutional Neural Network". Archived from the original on 30 May 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018 – via ResearchGate.
- "OpenALPR Benchmarks". openalpr.com. 31 October 2017. http://www.openalpr.com/benchmarks.html
- Laroca, Rayson; Severo, Evair; Zanlorensi, Luiz A.; Oliveira, Luiz S.; Resende Goncalves, Gabriel; Robson Schwartz, William; Menotti, David, “A Robust Real-Time Automatic License Plate Recognition Based on the YOLO Detector “International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN). pp. 1–10. https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.09567
- Sérgio Montazzolli SilvaEmail, and Cláudio Rosito Jung, “License Plate Detection and Recognition in Unconstrained Scenarios”, European Conference on Computer Vision, ECCV 2018: pp. 593-609, 2018
- Kazuo Ohzeki, Takuya Okunuki, Stefan Schneider, “Number Plate Region detection using Luminance and Sobel filter data”, The 18th Meeting on Image Recognition and Understanding (MIRU) DS1-9 pp.1-2 July 2015.
- Kazuo Ohzeki, Takuya Okunuki, and Stefan Schneider, "AN ADVANCED NUMBER PLATE DETECTION METHOD FOR REAR-END COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM” Proc. Irish Transport Research Network (ITRN ) Session 5b 27th-28th Aug. 2015.
- Shaoqing Ren, Kaiming He, Ross Girshick, Jian Sun, "Faster R-CNN: Towards Real-Time Object Detection with Region Proposal Networks", Arxiv:1506.01497 Part of: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 28 (NIPS 2015)
- Yoshikazu kido, Yutaka Hirakawa, Kazuo Ohzeki, “Recognition of Driving Environment by Deep Learning Algorithm using adaptive Environment Model”, Proc. PCSJ/IMPS P-5-15 Nov. 2017.
- Joseph Redmon, Santosh Divvala, Ross Girshick, and Ali Farhadi, "You Only Look Once: Unified, Real-Time Object Detection", IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Las Vegas June 2016 https://arxiv.org/pdf/1506.02640.pdf
- Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, "An Introduction to Statistical Learning", Springer Texts in Statistics 2013.
- Ron Kohavi, "A study of cross-validation and bootstrap for accuracy estimation and model selection", Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (II) IJCAI-95 Contents Vol 2, Pages 1137-1143 Aug. 1995.
- T. Marill and D. M. Green. “On the effectiveness of receptors in recognition systems”, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 9:11–17, 1963.
- P. Pudil , J. NovoviEova , J. Kittler, “Floating search methods in feature selection”, Pattern Recognition Letters 15 (1994) 1 1 19-1 125.
- Nobuyuki Otsu, “An Automatic Threshold Selection Method Based on Discriminant and Least Squares Criteria”、ieice transaction D Vol.J63-D no.4 pp.349-356 April. 1980.