Citation: Proceedings of the 2019 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 18, pages 309–312 (2019)
Abstract. Audio communication on the public Internet suffers from not synchronized word clocks of the involved audio devices. The resulting clock drift leads to audio dropouts, which is typically compensated by a sample rate conversion (SRC) in standard telecommunication systems. This, however, does not fulfill the requirements of a high-quality audio system, in which all devices share one and the same word clock. Professional IP based network audio systems such as DANTE or AVB with their respective clock synchronization techniques have so been limited to LAN usage, where network jitter and loss have negligible importance regarding the required accuracy in the dimension of several nanoseconds. In a WAN, however, jitter in the millisecond dimension would lead to unacceptable measurement errors for the intended clock synchronization. As a consequence, we decided to investigate alternative clock synchronization techniques for WAN-distributed devices and developed a GNSS-based approach, which leads to precise clock synchronization.
- L. J. Arceo-Miquel, Yuriy Shmaliy, and Oscar Ibarra-Manzano. “Optimal Synchronization of Local Clocks by GPS 1 PPS Signals Using Predictive FIR Filters”. In: IEEE Transactions (2009), pp. 1833–1840. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2013654.
- Audinate Website. Dante Overview. [Online; accessed 12-May-2019]. 2019. URL: https://www.audinate.com/solutions/dante-overview.
- Alexander Carôt. “Musical Telepresence – A Compre-hensive Analysis Towards New Cognitive and Technical Approaches”. PhD thesis. Institute of Telematics – University of Lübeck, Germany, 2009.
- Alexander Carôt and Christian Werner. “External latency-optimized soundcard synchronization for applications in wide-area networks”. In: Proceedings of the 14th regional AES Convention. Tokyo, Japan, July 2009.
- Bálint Ferencz. Hardware Assisted IEEE 1588 Clock Synchronization Under Linux. Master Thesis. Budapest University of Technology and Economics, 2013.
- GPSd reference manual. [Online; accessed 12-May-2019]. URL: http://catb.org/gpsd.
- Christoph Kuhr and Alexander Carôt. “A Jack Sound Server Backend to Synchronize to An IEEE 1722 AVTP Media Clock Stream”. In: Proceedings of the Linux Audio Conference 2019. Stanford, USA, 2019.
- Donald A. Lewine. POSIX programmers guide. first. O’Reilly, 1994.
- phc.h Source code. [Online; accessed 12-May-2019]. URL : https://github.com/richardcochran/linuxptp/blob/master/phc.h.
- Ken C. Pohlmann. Principles of Digital Audio. fifth. The Mcgraw-Hill Companies, 2005.
- NXP Semiconductors. iMx7d Dual Applications Pro- cessor Reference Manual. 2019.