Citation: Proceedings of the 2020 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 21, pages 479–488 (2020)
Abstract. Named Data Networking (NDN) is a widely adopted future Internet architecture well-suited to large scale content retrieval. The congestion control is one of the research topics actively studied, and the rate-based congestion control method is considered to be fitted to NDN. From the viewpoint of implementation, however, the rate-based method has an issue that it requires the fine-grained clock management, which is hard to implement in off-the-shelf computers. Among the rate-based congestion control methods, an approach in which intermediate nodes report a maximum rate explicitly for a flow is considered to work well. In this paper, we pick up the Multipath-aware ICN Rate-based Congestion Control as an example of explicit rate reporting scheme, and examine how coarse-grained clock gives impacts to its performance. This paper provides the performance evaluation when consumers and NDN routers use the system clock with long time interval. This paper also proposes a method for smoothening Interest sending under a coarse-grained clock and evaluates the performance of proposed method.
- Cisco public, Cisco Annual Internet Report (2018-2023). White paper, 2020.
- V. Jacobson et al., “Networking Named Content,” in Proc. CoNEXT ’09, pp. 1-12.
- Y. Ren, J. Li, S. Shi, L. Li, G. Wang, and B. Zhang, “Congestion control in named data networking - A survey,” Computer Communications, vol. 86, pp. 1-11, Jul. 2016.
- A. Afanasyev, et al., “Host-to-Host Congestion Control for TCP,” IEEE Commun. Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 304-342, 2010.
- K. Ramakrishnan, S. Floyd, and D. Black, The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP. IETF RFC 3168, Sep. 2001.
- G. Carofiglio, M. Gallo, and L. Muscariello, “ICP: Design and Evaluation of an Interest Control Protocol for Content-Centric Networking,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2012, pp. 304-309.
- L. Saino, C. Cocora, and G. Pavlou, “CCTCP: A Scalable Receiver-driven Congestion Control Protocol for Content Centric Networking,” in Proc. IEEE ICC 2013, pp. 3775-3780.
- F. Zhang, Y. Zhang, A. Reznik, H. Liu, C. Qian, and C. Xu, “A Transport Protocol for Content-Centric Networking with Explicit Congestion Control,” in Proc. IEEE ICCCN 2014, pp. 1-8.
- Y. Liu, X. Piao, C. Hou, and K. Lei, “A CUBIC-Based Explicit Congestion Control Mechanism in Named Data Networking,” in Proc. IEEE CyberC 2016, pp. 360-363.
- K. Nichols and V. Jacobson, “Controlling Queue Delay,” ACM Magazine Queue, vol. 10, issue 5, pp. 1-15, May 2012.
- K. Schneider, C. Yi, B. Zhang, and L. Zhang, “A Practical Congestion Control Scheme for Named Data Networking,” in Proc. ACM ICN 2016, pp. 21-30.
- M. Wang, M. Yue, and Z. Wu, “WinCM: A Window based Congestion Control Mechanism for NDN,” in Proc. IEEE HotICN 2018, pp. 80-86.
- S. Xing, B. Yin, J. Yao, H. Zhang, Q. Zhai, and H. Shi, “A VCP-based Congestion Control Algorithm in Named Data Networking,” in Proc. IEEE IAEAC 2018, pp. 463-468.
- Y. Cheng, A. Afanasyev, I. Moiseenko, B. Zhang, L. Wang, and L. Zhang, “A case for stateful forwarding plane,” Computer Communications, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 779-791, Apr. 2013.
- T. Kato and M. Bandai, “Congestion Control Avoiding Excessive Rate Reduction in Named Data Network,” in Proc. IEEE CCNC 2017, pp. 1-6.
- N. Rozhnova and S. Fdida, “An effective hop-by-hop Interest shaping mechanism for CCN communications,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM Workshops 2012, pp. 322-327.
- N. Rozhnova and S. Fdida, “An extended Hop-by-hop Interest shaping mechanism for Content-Centric Networking,” in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM 2014, pp. 1198-1204.
- J. Zhang, Q. Wu, Z. Li, M. A. Kaafar, and G. Xie, “A Proactive Transport Mechanism with Explicit Congestion Notification for NDN,” in Proc. IEEE ICC 2015, pp. 5242-5247.
- M. Mahdian, S. Arianfar, J. Gibson, and D. Oran, “Multipath-aware ICN Rate-based Congestion Control,” in Proc. ACM ICN 2016, pp. 1-10.
- S. Zhong, Y. Liu, J. Li, and K. Lei, “A Rate-based Multipath-aware Congestion Control Mechanism in Named Data Networking,” in Proc. IEEE ISPA/IUCC 2017, 174-181.
- K. Fall and W. Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume1; The Protocols, Second Edition. Addison-Wesley, 1994.
- T. Kato, K. Osada, R. Yamamoto, and S. Ohzahata, “A Study on How Coarse-grained Clock System Influences NDN Rate-based Congestion Control,” in Proc. IARIA ICN 2018, pp. 35-40.
- T. Kato, T. Enda, R. Yamamoto, and S. Ohzahata, “A Study on Performance of Explicit Rate Report Based Congestion Control under Coarse-grained Clock Management,” in Proc. INSTICC DCNET 2020, pp. 82-88.
- T. Kato and M. Bandai, “A Congestion Control Method for NDN Using Hop-by-hop Window Management,” in Proc. IEEE CCNC 2018, pp. 1-6.
- A. Afanasyev, I. Moiseenko, and L. Zhang, “ndnSIM: NDN simulator for NS-3,” NDN, Technical Report NDN-0005, 2012.
- ITU-T, B-ISDN asynchronous transfer mode functional characteristics, Series I: Integrated Services Digital Network. Recommendation I.150, Feb. 1999.
- Y. Yamamoto, “Estimation of the advanced TCP/IP algorithms for long distance collaboration,” Fusion Engineering and Design, vol. 83, issue 2-3, pp. 516-519, Apr. 2008.
- NDN, “Overall ndnSIM documentation; Forwarding Strategies,” http://ndnsim.net/1.0/fw.html.