The impact of COVID-19 pandemic on logistics firms in Vietnam
Minh Ngoc Do, Nguyen Thi Dung, Tran The Tuan
Citation: Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Research in Management & Technovation, Vu Dinh Khoa, Shivani Agarwal, Gloria Jeanette Rincon Aponte, Nguyen Thi Hong Nga, Vijender Kumar Solanki, Ewa Ziemba (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 28, pages 99–103 (2021)
Abstract. The paper examines the impact of Coronavirus epidemic on logistics companies in Vietnam and firm responses. Results show that most firms are negatively affected by the pandemic, micro and small businesses are hit the hardest. Coping strategies of firms often involve COVID-prevention practices as required by the government with little investment on technological application and human resource development. Analysis concludes that Vietnamese logistics companies are not well-prepared for crises, especially firms of small sizes which partly show resistance to new digitalizing practices despite the current circumstances brought on by the pandemic
- Apfalter, S., Hommes, M., Pereira Mendes, M., & Toba, N. (2020). Lessons for electric utilities from COVID-19 responses in emerging markets. Retrieved from https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/34854
- Baldwin, R., & Freeman, R. (2020). Supply chain contagion waves: Thinking ahead on manufacturing ‘contagion and reinfection’ from the COVID concussion. https://voxeu.org/article/covid-concussion-and-supply-chain-contagion-waves
- Baldwin, R., & Weder di Mauro, B. (2020). Economics in the time of COVID-19. https://voxeu.org/article/economics-time-covid-19-new-ebook
- Bonadino, B., Huo, Z., Levchenko, A., & Pandalai-Nayar, N. (2020, June). The role of supply chains in the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. https://iap.unido.org/articles/role-global-supply-chains-covid-19-pandemic-and-beyond
- Bui, B.N. (2020). Solutions and international experience in dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic in Logistics Activities and Vietnam's Border Trade. Proceedings of International Conference: The Impact of COVID-19 in Vietnam, pp 81-95.
- Dimakou, O., Romero, M. J., & Van Waeyenberge, E. (2020). Never let a pandemic go to waste: Turbocharging the private sector for development at the World Bank. Canadian Journal of Development Studies/Revue Canadienne d’études Du Développement, 42(1–2), 221–237.
- Thilo Kroeger ; Anh Thi Ngoc Nguyen ; Yuanyan Sophia Zhang ; Pham Dinh Thuy ; Nguyen Huy Minh ; Duong Danh Tuan (2021). Corporate Vulnerabilities in Vietnam and Implications of COVID-19. IMF Working Paper. https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2020/11/20/Corporate-Vulnerabilities-in-Vietnam-and-Implications-of-COVID-19-49893
- L’Hermitte, C., Tatham, P., & Bowles, M. (2014). Classifying logistics-relevant disasters: Conceptual model and empirical illustration. Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management, 4(2), 155-178.
- Singh, S., Kumar, R., Panchal, R., & Tiwari, M. K. (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on logistics systems and disruptions in food supply chain. International Journal of Production Research, 59(7), 1993–2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2020.1792000
- Tue My (2021). e-Logistics: Challenges for businesses to adopt technology (Doanh nghiep con gian nan de chuyen doi so). VNEconomy. Available at: https://vneconomy.vn/e-logistics-doanh-nghiep-con-gian-nan-de-chuyen-doi-so.htm
- United Nations (2020). COVID-19 Socio-economic response plan for Vietnam. Available at: https://unsdg.un.org/sites/default/files/2020-10/VNM_Socioeconomic-Response-Plan_2020.pdf
- UNCTAD (2021). Investment Trends Monitor. Issue 38. Available at: https://unctad.org/system/files/official-document/diaeiainf2021d1_en.pdf
- Vietnam Logistics Association (2021). Available at: https://www.vla.com.vn/hiep-hoi-doanh-nghiep-dich-vu-logistics-15-doanh-nghiep-mat-50-doanh-thu-50-doanh-nghiep-giam-manh-so-luong-dich-vu-so-voi-cung-ky.html
- WTO (2021). How COVID-19 is changing the world: a statistical perspective – Volume III. Available at: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/covid19_e/ccsa_publication_vol3_e.pdf