Highly customizable framework for performance evaluation of LOOM-based SDN controllers
Szymon Mentel, Marek Konieczny, Sławomir Zieliński
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 969–977 (2016)
Abstract. The article presents an innovative method for assessing performance of modular SDN controllers, focusing on test customization. The method was validated by construction of a testing framework that gives its users the opportunity to emulate various network traffic patterns by using arbitrarily chosen applications, rather than simulating workloads. The presented solution is more comprehensive than others available in contemporary SDN environments also because it that takes into account specific features of modular SDN controllers.
- S. Hassas Yeganeh and Y. Ganjali, “Kandoo: a framework for efficient and scalable offloading of control applications,” in Proceedings of the first workshop on Hot topics in software defined networks. ACM, 2012, pp. 19–24.
- A. Greenberg, J. R. Hamilton, N. Jain, S. Kandula, C. Kim, P. Lahiri, D. A. Maltz, P. Patel, and S. Sengupta, “Vl2: a scalable and flexible data center network,” in ACM SIGCOMM computer communication review, vol. 39, no. 4. ACM, 2009, pp. 51–62.
- T. Koponen, K. Amidon, P. Balland, M. Casado, A. Chanda, B. Fulton, I. Ganichev, J. Gross, P. Ingram, E. Jackson et al., “Network virtualization in multi-tenant datacenters,” in 11th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 14), 2014, pp. 203–216.
- T. Koponen, M. Casado, N. Gude, J. Stribling, L. Poutievski, M. Zhu, R. Ramanathan, Y. Iwata, H. Inoue, T. Hama et al., “Onix: A distributed control platform for large-scale production networks.” in OSDI, vol. 10, 2010, pp. 1–6.
- A. Dixit, F. Hao, S. Mukherjee, T. Lakshman, and R. Kompella, “Towards an elastic distributed sdn controller,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 7–12, 2013.
- T. Szydlo and K. Zielinski, “Adaptive enterprise service bus,” New Generation Computing, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 189–214, 2012.
- LOOM, http://flowforwarding.github.io/loom/.
- D. Jullier, M. Konieczny, and S. Zieliński, “Applying software-defined networking paradigm to tenant-perspective optimization of cloud services utilization,” in Computer Networks. Springer, 2015, pp. 193–202.
- P. Parol and M. Pawlowski, “Towards networks of the future: Sdn paradigm introduction to pon networking for business applications,” in Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2013 Federated Conference on. IEEE, 2013, pp. 829–836.
- I. Stojmenovic and S. Wen, “The fog computing paradigm: Scenarios and security issues,” in Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2014 Federated Conference on. IEEE, 2014, pp. 1–8.
- C. Cetinkaya, Y. Ozveren, and M. Sayit, “An sdn-assisted system design for improving performance of svc-dash,” in Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2015 Federated Conference on. IEEE, 2015, pp. 819–826.
- V. Jalaparti, P. Bodik, S. Kandula, I. Menache, M. Rybalkin, and C. Yan, “Speeding up distributed request-response workflows,” in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 43, no. 4. ACM, 2013, pp. 219–230.
- A. Roy, H. Zeng, J. Bagga, G. Porter, and A. C. Snoeren, “Inside the social network’s (datacenter) network,” in Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Conference on Special Interest Group on Data Communication. ACM, 2015, pp. 123–137.
- M. Al-Fares, A. Loukissas, and A. Vahdat, “A scalable, commodity data center network architecture,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 63–74, 2008.
- A. Shalimov, D. Zuikov, D. Zimarina, V. Pashkov, and R. Smeliansky, “Advanced study of sdn/openflow controllers,” in Proceedings of the 9th Central and Eastern European Software Engineering Conference in Russia. ACM, 2013.
- Z. K. Khattak, M. Awais, and A. Iqbal, “Performance evaluation of opendaylight sdn controller,” in 20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), 2014.
- Open Network Operating System, “Raising the bar on sdn control plane performance and scalability,” http://goo.gl/AizqcC, 2015.
- M. P. Fernandez, “Evaluating openflow controller paradigms,” in IEEE 27th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, 2013.
- B. Vengainathan, A. Basil, M. Tassinari, V. Manral, and S. Banks, “Benchmarking methodology forsdn controller performance,” Working Draft, IETF Secretariat, Internet-Draft draft-bhuvan-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-01, July 2015. [Online]. Available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhuvan-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-01
- K. Grochla and L. Naruszewicz, “Testing and scalability analysis of network management systems using device emulation,” in Computer Networks. Springer, 2012, pp. 91–100.