Predicting Dangerous Seismic Events: AAIA'16 Data Mining Challenge
Andrzej Janusz, Dominik Ślęzak, Marek Sikora, Łukasz Wróbel
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 205–211 (2016)
Abstract. This paper summarizes AAIA'16 Data Mining Challenge: Predicting Dangerous Seismic Events in Active Coal Mines which was held between October 5, 2015 and March 4, 2016 at the Knowledge Pit platform. It describes the scope and background of this competition and explains our research objectives which motivated the specific design of the competition rules. The paper also briefly overviews the results of this challenge, showing the way in which those results can help in solving practical problems related to the safety of miners working underground. In particular, our analysis focuses on applications of prediction models in order to facilitate the assessment of seismic hazards, in a situation when the exploration of a given working site has just started and there is very little historical data available.
- IBISWorld. (2016) Global coal mining: Market research report. [Online]. Available: http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/global/global-coal-mining.html
- A. Bifet and R. Kirkby, “Data stream mining: a practical approach,” The University of Waikato, Tech. Rep., Aug. 2009.
- J. Kabiesz, B. Sikora, M. Sikora, and Ł. Wróbel, “Application of Rule-Based Models for Seismic Hazard Prediction in Coal Mines,” Acta Montanistica Slovaca, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 262–277, 2013.
- M. Kozielski, M. Sikora, and Ł. Wróbel, “Disesor - decision support system for mining industry,” in Proceedings of FedCSIS 2015, M. Ganzha, L. A. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds., vol. 5. IEEE, 2015, pp. 67–74. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.15439/2015F168
- A. Janusz, M. Sikora, Ł. Wróbel, S. Stawicki, M. Grzegorowski, P. Wojtas, and D. Ślęzak, “Mining Data from Coal Mines: IJCRS'15 Data Challenge,” in Proceedings of RSFDGrC 2015, ser. LNCS, Y. Yao, Q. Hu, H. Yu, and J. W. Grzymala-Busse, Eds., vol. 9437. Springer, 2015, pp. 429–438.
- M. Boullé, “Tagging Fireworkers Activities from Body Sensors under Distribution Drift,” in Proceedings of FedCSIS 2015, M. Ganzha, L. A. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds. IEEE, 2015, pp. 389–396.
- M. Grzegorowski and S. Stawicki, “Window-Based Feature Engineering for Prediction of Methane Threats in Coal Mines,” in Proceedings of RSFDGrC 2015, ser. LNCS, Y. Yao, Q. Hu, H. Yu, and J. W. Grzymala-Busse, Eds., vol. 9437. Springer, 2015, pp. 452–463.
- A. Janusz, A. Krasuski, S. Stawicki, M. Rosiak, D. Ślęzak, and H. S. Nguyen, “Key Risk Factors for Polish State Fire Service: A Data Mining Competition at Knowledge Pit,” in Proceedings of FedCSIS’2014, M. Ganzha, L. A. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds. IEEE, 2014, pp. 345–354.
- S. Kaufman, S. Rosset, C. Perlich, and O. Stitelman, “Leakage in data mining: Formulation, detection, and avoidance,” TKDD, vol. 6, no. 4, p. 15, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2382577.2382579
- L. H. Son, “Dealing with the new user cold-start problem in recommender systems: A comparative review,” Information Systems, vol. 58, pp. 87–104, 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306437914001525
- T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, and J. Friedman, The Elements of Statistical Learning, ser. Springer Series in Statistics. New York, NY, USA: Springer New York Inc., 2001.
- T. M. Mitchell, Machine Learning, ser. McGraw Hill series in computer science. McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- A. Janusz, “Combining multiple predictive models using genetic algorithms,” Intelligent Data Analysis, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 763–776, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/IDA-2012-0550
- A. Janusz and D. Śl ̨ezak, “Computation of approximate reducts with dynamically adjusted approximation threshold,” in Proceedings of IS-MIS 2015, F. Esposito, O. Pivert, M. Hacid, Z. W. Ras, and S. Ferilli, Eds., vol. 9384. Springer, 2015, pp. 19–28.
- M. Grzegorowski, “Massively Parallel Feature Extraction Framework Application in Predicting Dangerous Seismic Events,” in Proceedings of FedCSIS 2016, M. Ganzha, L. A. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds. IEEE, 2016, in print September 2016.
- R. Bogucki, J. Lasek, J. K. Milczek, and M. Tadeusiak, “Early Warning System for Seismic Events in Coal Mines Using Machine Learning,” in Proceedings of FedCSIS 2016, M. Ganzha, L. A. Maciaszek, and M. Paprzycki, Eds. IEEE, 2016, in print September 2016.